Thread: Back spin on a paintball

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Back spin on a paintball

I am wondering if it would be practical to get a backspin effect (like you would get with a Tippman flatline or a BT apex) by sticking a short piece of foam tape inside the tip of your barrel? It would probably take some time to "dial in" how much tape to use and where to put it. It would also likely be dependant on the size paintball you use and the length of the barrel , and about a billion other factors. It is just an idea that has been tripping around in my head for a couple of weeks now and would like some opinions before I waste a case of paint testing somthing that could turn out to be a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by RIPspooky
    I am wondering if it would be practical to get a backspin effect (like you would get with a Tippman flatline or a BT apex) by sticking a short piece of foam tape inside the tip of your barrel? It would probably take some time to "dial in" how much tape to use and where to put it. It would also likely be dependant on the size paintball you use and the length of the barrel , and about a billion other factors. It is just an idea that has been tripping around in my head for a couple of weeks now and would like some opinions before I waste a case of paint testing somthing that could turn out to be a waste of time.
    It can work, but you'll likely need to mill where you put it on the end of your barrel, and probably wouldn't be worth it.

it can work, and i beleive the tap thing has been tried before... with many broken balls and hours to find a combo that worked.

essentially its Galactic Z body from a different perspective. The original z-body had a nubbin in the body which could be dialed down to reach the desired effect. Large bore barrel was a much needed element.

The nubbin dialed down like a ramp so it was semi easy on the paintballs. Where as a peice of foam tape may provide a impeding perpendicular blockage which could encourage ball breaks.

Weighing the time/effort/resources/frustration it may be more worthwhile to pick up an old galactic z-body and a lapco bigshot (.697?) barrel... then you can dial in your spin. We have shot around cover/corners and received some nice decent accurate distance with ours...

If you enjoy the tinkering aspect.. more power to ya and as long as your having fun.. coolio;
    it could be an interesting study.

What if you were to have the ball detent on the top? Would'nt that make the ball spin backwards while it is going down the barrel?

That wouldn't work, because a detent wouldn't cause enough friction on the ball.

I was wondering the same thing the other day, except I was considering using a thin strip of gaffer's tape along the inside top of the barrel. Might work, might not. Probably throw your consistency to crap if you didn't do it just right, though.