Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Fingers Contest

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Fastest Fingers Contest

I’m a school teacher, and it’s a snow day, so I’m a little bored. Therefore, I’ve decided to host a BPS Contest!

Why am I doing this? Well, I’ve only recently acquired a gun that’s walkable, so I’ve had to teach myself this skill, and I’ve really wondered many times just how fast some people are. If you happen to be one of those fast people, now’s your chance to prove it!

Fastest Fingers Definition:
    The winner of this contest will be the person who has the highest average BPS over five seconds of sustained shooting.

Rules:

Now, anyone can say they’re fast. I want proof!

In order to enter this contest, you must take a video of yourself shooting your gun.
    • The video must show at least 5 seconds of sustained shooting.
    • The video should be up close and personal, like this. (I need to be able to see your your fingers on the trigger.)
    • You do not need to shoot paint. (This might change if someone can convince me why.)
    • This is PURE SEMI ONLY. No ramping BS.

When you post your video, it would be nice if you could say your average BPS. If you can't figure it out, then I'll do it for you, but it might take a while.

You must be an established AO member to participate. That means you have at least 50 posts, or you've been around for at least six months (since lots of people troll, mostly). I just don't want a bunch of aggs jumping on from PBN just to win a stupid little contest.

Categories:
    Originally, there were only two categories: double-trigger walking, and single-trigger shooting. Now, we're changing things up. When you submit your entry, be sure to mention what category it's in.
    • electric
    • all-mech (pneumags, ULT mags, etc)
    • classic mags (single triggers only!)
    • pumps!

Prizes:
    Originally, I was going to say the prize was just going to be bragging rights, but that might not be enough to draw people out. So, how about a “Fastest Fingers on AO” T-shirt? I’ll even make it myself! (If anyone else has a good idea, or is willing to help out with this, let me know. If there's enough support, maybe we can offer prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.)

Deadline:
    It will take people a while to get videos made, so I'll leave this contest open until March 1st. After that, I'm gonna double-check people's videos to make sure they're being honest, and then I'll announce a winner.

How do you figure out your BPS?
    Once you have the video, here's one way to figure out your average BPS.
    1. Download a free audio program like Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/).
    2. Play your shooting video on your computer.
    3. While playing the video, record a .wav file (you can use Windows Sound Recorder, if you want).
    4. When you open this sound recording file in Audacity, you can see a visualization of the sound waves… like this.

5. Count the number of big spikes (which indicate your shots) in five seconds. Then, divide that total number by 5. That will give you an average BPS.

Current Contestants:

Electric
    bolter = 15.8
    mongoose = 15.4
    BAZOOKA_Boy = 15
    drg = 14
    atm743 = 13.6
    Caboose = 13.4
    dixieoutfitter98 = 13.3 (only a three-second sample)
    tebo = 11.6

All-mech
    t0nnn = 12 bps
    mongoose = 11?
    pneumagger = 11 (low quality video, though)
    jade_monkey = 9.6
    rawbutter = 8

Classic mags

Pumps!
    Last edited by rawbutter; 03-16-2008 at 01:13 PM.

time to dust off the ol' autotriggered pump...

does it have to be mags only? or can i use my blackcell ion? I will hopefully have a vid up after this weekend lol.

Thanks for the link, Behemoth. Wow.... Lohman put WAY more thought into his contest than I did.

I think I still want to run this, though. First of all, there's mention in the previous contest that the turnout wasn't too great. Secondly, Lohmanns contest was over two years ago. A lot of people have come and gone since then, so I think it's high time for another contest.

I'll be modifying some of the rules, though... that's for sure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=utcWZA9OIeE

if somebody could goldwave it then thanks but I recon its about 13.

I was out of paint too soon but you get the idea. My timmy showed the bps and the fastest I ever got was 16.

Quote Originally Posted by thahouse
    does it have to be mags only? or can i use my blackcell ion? I will hopefully have a vid up after this weekend lol.
    Doesn't have to be a mag.

Mongoose, thanks for the entry. I’ll figure out the BPS tonight when I’m home.

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    You absolutely cannot accept that entry, even though it's probably legit; it doesn't show the shooter firing in any way during the string, let alone showing verifiable finger action. Also the sustainability of any particular BPS over 3 seconds is hugely different from 5 seconds.
    I’m assuming you’re talking about dixieoutfitter, and I agree. The video isn’t good enough to show his shooting. Like I said, if dixie becomes a serious contender, then I’ll require that he reshoot the video.

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    By the way, rawbutter, as for reason to require shooting paint ... the only thing I can think of is that it removes any question of practicality. It is conceivable that a person may get a gun to dryfire faster by holding it in a completely impractical way (for the sake of example, backwards) or by not even holding it perhaps (i.e. triggering it while lying on a table).
    I’m following your logic, but I think we can all judge fairly what’s practical and what’s not. If someone offers up a video with them shooting in a way that’s impossible in a game, I’ll obviously disqualify it.

I really don’t want to make it a rule that you have to be shooting paint, and the reason why is because of videos like what Mongoose submitted. He was shooting inside, where it was easy and convenient to make a video. When you’re actually shooting paint, you have to haul everything outside (if you live somewhere that you can shoot outside), or you have to wait until you’re at a field. If you don’t have to shoot paint to offer up an entry, I think we’ll have a lot more videos to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos_Theory!
    Even with solid rules and stuff its nearly impossible to be sure people arent cheating.
    Maybe I’m wrong, but I was kinda hoping that everyone would just be honest. I mean, we’re not shooting for a huge prize. It’s just bragging rights (and maybe a cheaply made T-shirt). I’ll look at the potential winners real closely (and I’m sure everyone else will too), but most people on AO strike me as the honest sort who wouldn’t cheat and lie about something like this.

Alright.... enough talk. Let's see some more videos!

Rawbutter...are you iceman on the other forum
    funny that we were thinking alike yesterday " although u did beat me to it" lol

i'm just intrested in how fast people can shoot in semi...how did the winner do in the last contest years back??? becouse i dont think 20 bps in semi is possible

So what about RT mags?

Quote Originally Posted by 211
    So what about RT mags?
    Sure......but one pull one shot
    not much skill in holding in the trigger

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QZJPHisWTdk

not the best.

this was my old viking last year before it was milled and got the robtown valve

~my e-mag~

~ule frame~
    ~ule rail~
    ~x-valve~
    ~3.2 software~
    ~polished no-rise body~
    ~black 10" freak kit~
    ~smoke halo b~
    ~Fl05283 68 3000 flatline~

"Let them eat war [x2]
    That's how to ration the poor
    Let them eat war [x2]

There's an urgent need to feed"

can i walk with 3 fingers? technically i'm walking the trigger. if so? game. set. match.

i can max my halo.

PBN Feedback AO Feedback eBay Feedback

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS (Rob Kenny and Matt Bradley) LIVE @ www.djinnuendo.com TUES 2/8 - 8 to 10PM

Quote Originally Posted by atm743
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=QZJPHisWTdk

not the best.

this was my old viking last year before it was milled and got the robtown valve
    I counted a 13.6 average bps over five seconds. Not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by rkjunior303
    can i walk with 3 fingers? technically i'm walking the trigger. if so? game. set. match.

i can max my halo.
    Sure. This contest is all about seeing how fast people can shoot with pure semi. Whatever it takes, do it.

hmm, i won the last one of these, ill have to get an entry in soon

Awhile ago I made this vid. Sorry for the webcam, that's all I had at the time and youtube made it even worse looking. If I can find my old drives, I'll dig up the godwave pics.
    Throughout the string the fastest full second was a 14cps sustained. The fastest burst in it (quickest 2 consecutive peaks) was 17.2bps.

Boy it's awfully hard to confirm 1 shot/1 pull in that video ...

here's my pneumag finally with the magnet mod in

Quote Originally Posted by t0nnn
    Your dog is enjoying the show.

11bps was the best average I could get. You definitely go higher at points, though. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    Rawbutter...are you iceman on the other forum
    funny that we were thinking alike yesterday " although u did beat me to it" lol
    Dang it... my cover's blown.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    i'm just intrested in how fast people can shoot in semi...how did the winner do in the last contest years back??? becouse i dont think 20 bps in semi is possible
    The winner in the last contest was 68MagOwner with 15.8 balls per second. The rules were a little more stringent, though, and there apparently wasn't as much competition.

I didn't read through the entire thread of the last contest (it was over eight pages long), but it did seem like there was a lot of drama. I, like you, am really just intriguied by how fast some people are, and I'd love to see some video proof. It seems that things got a little carried away in the last contest (probably because there were some huge prizes at stake.... like almost $100 to the winner).

I just want this to be plain and simple. Prove how fast you are with a video, and the rest of us get to be amazed. Sounds like a good time to me.

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter
    The winner in the last contest was 68MagOwner with 15.8 balls per second. The rules were a little more stringent, though, and there apparently wasn't as much competition.

I didn't read through the entire thread of the last contest (it was over eight pages long), but it did seem like there was a lot of drama. I, like you, am really just intriguied by how fast some people are, and I'd love to see some video proof. It seems that things got a little carried away in the last contest (probably because there were some huge prizes at stake.... like almost $100 to the winner).

I just want this to be plain and simple. Prove how fast you are with a video, and the rest of us get to be amazed. Sounds like a good time to me.
    Last contest's winning video actually didn't conform to the rules, but got the "benefit of the doubt", which I really hope you avoid this time. The whole point of rules is to avoid getting the benefit of the doubt.

Disclaimer: I did participate in the last contest (2nd place).

I am waiting to see if blazestorm gets his videos up, so I don't have to bother entering.

You guys should have someone do slow mo videos as well of the submitted contestants.

In the even that someone tried to use a ramping setting,... you would not know they were using it unless you could see the finger hit the trigger and see the audio spike.

Its really the ONLY way to proove the validity of true semi.

~ P8nt

mongoose,

I analyzed your vids. Your pneumag shooting averaged 8.6 over your best five seconds (although you did max out around 13). You did have some big gaps, though. If you could redo it with five continuous seconds, you could probably do better.

Your Mini shooting is around 14.2 bps, and it's very consistent. Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter
    mongoose,

I analyzed your vids. Your pneumag shooting averaged 8.6 over your best five seconds (although you did max out around 13). You did have some big gaps, though. If you could redo it with five continuous seconds, you could probably do better.

Your Mini shooting is around 14.2 bps, and it's very consistent. Nice job!
    thanks i'll make another vid of the pnuemag

I think he maxed his pneumag at 15 or 16 before and that was with paint...I thought the mini was shooting faster than that, but I guess not eh

do i need to show everyone up?

Quote Originally Posted by rkjunior303
    do i need to show everyone up?
    please do!!!!

I think he maxed his pneumag at 15 or 16 before and that was with paint...I thought the mini was shooting faster than that, but I guess not eh
    I'm always open to second opinions. If you analyze the video audio file yourself and come up with some different numbers, let me know.

Wow. Good for you Rawbutter. I've been wondering if there would ever be another AO bps contest.

I took part in the last contest, and yes, It was difficult getting contestants. I think a major part of that was that people had to shoot paint in the video, which means a) problems with getting two peaks on the goldwave (shot and splat) per shot and b) wasting paint not shooting people at the field. Also 10 seconds was much harder than 5 seconds. It required at least a full hopper per take, perhaps a hopper+pod. I agree that dry-firing is probably adequate, as long as the marker is performing complete cycles, etc (which is why the last contest had paint a requirement).

Also, we need some way to verify whether the video is being sped up or not, if possible, like a watch showing the second hand at the beginning of the video, and again at the end, to show that time has stayed constant.

I don't think I'm going to compete this time around, my fingers are too slow for this contest (12 last time), but I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

you know you play this game too much when the neighbors stop fixing their broken windows...