Thread: Gun oil

Question Gun oil

Hi all
    can anyone give me a definitive answer of exactly what marker oil is? ie. mineral, vegetable, synthetic? What SAE is it?
    I am in an industry which uses many different oils and lubricants, as such I am aware that there are about 50 different types of oil which leave the refinery. After that, they are subjected to additives branding and packaging. Example; fleet oil semi synth 15/40 is re branded in liter bottles as motorcycle oil and sold for vastly inflated prices. Hydraulic oil can be used in ramps, car jacks and motorcycle front forks.
    Motorcycle synthetic two stroke oil is the same as air tool oil.
    Does anyone know if there is a bulk version of marker oil as the damn stuff is expensive!
    A lot of guys here use silicone spray, I don't rate it myself as it's glorified furniture polish!
    I get most of my tips from my oil rep who is also a friend, but he draws a blank over marker oils.
    Also silicone grease for 'O' rings, right or wrong? or do you use gun oil on all parts of the marker?
    Any techs know???

most of your EP marker greases are just DOW 33 in special packaging/color additives.

Can't comment on thee oils like gold cup though, I rarly use the stuff.

I know that AKA extreme lube is just automatic transmission fluid without the red dye. Synthetic nail gun oil from Home Depot should work really good.

Quote Originally Posted by garbageman705
    I know that AKA extreme lube is just automatic transmission fluid without the red dye. Synthetic nail gun oil from Home Depot should work really good.
    Thanks, that was where my thoughts were going; synthetic two stroke oil! (same as nail gun air tool oil) doesn't cream the seals in an engine and provides adequate lubrication in very small quantities!

Quote Originally Posted by vmaxnick
    Thanks, that was where my thoughts were going; synthetic two stroke oil! (same as nail gun air tool oil) doesn't cream the seals in an engine and provides adequate lubrication in very small quantities!

Palmer's shop recommends synthetic Air tool oil for all of their guns, even includes some with all of their guns...

basically any oil that is non detergent or food safe should be fine.

But not cooking oil, the fatty acids will gum your gun up solid!

I use marvel mystery air tool oil with good results.