Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does paintball cost so much?

Why does paintball cost so much?

I am sure this topic has come up before but I want to know why paintball cost so much. The cost is what makes my friends and me not want to go very often. I just can't afford it. I am sure many other people feel the same way. If it cost less I would go all the time. I remember back like 5 years ago when I got my spyder I went like 3 times a month and that lasted like 2 months. Well after that I had no money at all. I dont think I play the rest of the year... well maybe once. Now I can't go and spend 40 bucks a week to play. It is hard for me to even spend 40 bucks a month. I bet I have only played 2-3 times in all of 2001. It is next to impossible to get a bunch of friends to go because of the cost. Maybe two out of the 10 people I invite can spend that kind of money. For example the last time I went we had a pretty big group of people who could go. But only one of them had their own gun and I had mine but no one else did. So that means that 11 of them didnt have a gun. This was all of their first times. Most of them could only spend 40 bucks so renting was out of the question... do you know how hard it was to gather 9 guns fo these people to use. Some how we did it. Well the night came, we all went, had a great time, everyone loved it. They all want to go again and and they want to buy their own guns. But they said it cost way to much for them to go often. We are tyring to make our own field but that is just as much of a hassle. So I guess I am asking what makes paintball cost so much. I think that if it was cheaper more people would play and got hooked. Than the paintball industry would make more money.

wellll...... 40$ is a lot for 1 week. For me 2001 was a sow paintball year too. But im quessin for most companys, not mentioning any names ( Cough WGP &WDP Cough ) are just tryin to UH UH Take our money. Un like AGD and several other companys (Cough Tippmann Cough) most companys want you to buy the hype and there product
    "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." -John Morley

personman Guest
    I think its mostly paintballs, and buying an Electro, is BS, cause your throwing money out the window in the first place, but now, sense you have Full-Auto, your paint comsupmtion is going to double. Second of all, it is the rental fee, and the registration fee.
    Paint is probally the main reason paintball is so expensive, and I think someone needs to figure out a cheap, good way to make high quality paintballs.

If paintball costs so much - guy buy a Talon and play outlaw....Your only gonna use 5 rounds a game (20cents a game)......

Paintball can be a poor mans sport or a rich mans sport. Its all in what YOUR WILLING TO PAY.

Think about this...

Talon - $25
    Mask - $25
    Hopper/elbow and like - $5

Paint - $15 for 500rds
    Co2 - $10 25 12grams.

That isnt too much money and thats enough to play about 50 games.

As it is right now...I am only paying $10-$20 per time I play because I use seconds and fill my own n2 ($10 for 500rds, and free air fills because I sell em off to teammates and it covers my fills too).

If you dont like the fields prices, go play somewhere else or in your backyard...Thats what I had to do for about 2 years.
    Former stickballmovies guy (They're on youtube now). Now a full-time slumlord in Central Ohio.

Paintball is a bussiness, therefore they want to make money.

What's cool though is some of the guys on the board who live near me are making their own field fillstations and all.
    .. that means order some decent paint off the internet for $45 a case, and I am set for a month. Fills will be next to nothing etc. I only shoot roughly 500 rounds a day, so paintball is going to be rather cheap now. I am more than likely going to buy a chrono has my "investment" to the field.

I run into that problem a lot too. Sometimes I really want to organize a paintball event for my wrestling team or a group of friends but there's just too many people who don't have that type of money to spend on paintball and that's understandable since you're not going to get through a whole day of paintball without spending at least 40-50 bucks.You just have to understand that paintball is an expensive sport to participate in. My whole budget is basically built around paintball. It's not like paintball fields and companies are trying to make the prices high. Some fields actually get very little profit from paintball. There's a local field around my house that stopped doing walk ons all together because they weren't making enough money. Making paintballs takes money. So does shipping them. So does paying field employees and upkeep on the field and rental equipment. Fields and companies that make equipment are businesses remember. They're trying to make money while also getting people to come out and play or buy their equipment and I think that most fields do a fine job of finding a happy medium where everyones happy.

And Sheperds we shall be / For thee, my Lord, for thee / Power hath descended forth from Thy hand / Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. / So we shall flow a river forth to Thee / And teeming with souls shall it ever be. / In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sa

personman - Just because you have a Electro doesnt mean your going to use paint. AND YOU CANT USE FULL AUTO AT ANY INSURED FIELD.

I personally use a Angel that can easily crank out 11bps on semi w/o a problem...Yet I only use 100 balls a game in a 3man. And 200 in a 5man which isnt that bad.

personman Guest
    Dude, Im just saying... You dont need an electro, why spend all that money? Im not saying that I wouldnt take one if some guy handed me one for free, Im just saying, its not worth the money.. I mean, all you get out of it is A cool trigger pull, and burst shots..

how much paintball costs is totally dependant on how you play.

as a side note how old are you? any sport that your parents arent paying for is going to require some sacrafice. get a job or if you have one work a few more hours a week.

You can't , for a field to be insured , they have to agree to terms of a contract. On the contract , they don't allow you to use full auto. If a field ever lets you use full auto............ and thier insurance provider finds out , they immedately get dropped by thier povider.

PS , i run a store , i know about these things.

Originally posted by mattyfatty182
    Yes you can, you idiot.
    MattyFatty there is no need to flame or speak like that to someone here.

Most field will not allow FA, some will but they are the exception not the norm.

Most events will not allow FA, some big scenarios will.

manike

Originally posted by mattyfatty182

Yes you can, you idiot.
    Nitroduck is a big tourney player and runs his own store. He knows what he is talking about, and is someone I ask every question I have. Heh

The "you idiot" part is completely unacceptable.

matty - actually, no you cant, not if the field knows what's good for them. Fields have to have insurence, and the agencys do NOT allow full auto guns. Now thats the legal section, but that doesn't mean there is a magic forcefield that stops your gun from full auto. You can technically PLAY in full auto, just dont get caught, because most fields will get very pissy about it, especially since if they're caught allowing it that is most likely a good way to void their contract with the insurence agency, which they need to run the business.

As for paint costing so much, its like everything. Hype and supply and demand. Why does it cost 20cents to make a pair of sneakers that gets sold in the stores for $150?
    ~Chaos
    chaos@cazorp.com
    NutBuster.net
    Team AO, SoCal

Wanna talk to a REAL skanline guntech? Email smackmyass@cazorp.com

I played paintball yesterday,i shot 700 rounds in like 30 games,in 3 hours,it was like 2on2 and then it was 3on3.My dad was mad.I told him it takes more than one ball per elimination.It was on hyperball,so there was no sniping,and i played back which uses more paint.All in All it cost 52 dollars,w/ air fill,field fee and paint.

mattyfatty182 Guest
    Originally posted by Nitroduck
    You can't , for a field to be insured , they have to agree to terms of a contract. On the contract , they don't allow you to use full auto. If a field ever lets you use full auto............ and thier insurance provider finds out , they immedately get dropped by thier povider.

PS , i run a store , i know about these things.
    Funny, none of the MXS Scenarios care.
    Also, some of the fields I play at are lax and don't really care.

Fine, I retract my statement, and I will delete my post. Happy?

MXS allows full auto because they have diff kind of insurance.

I need to ask diane what kind of insurance they're using........

Originally posted by personman
    Dude, Im just saying... You dont need an electro, why spend all that money? Im not saying that I wouldnt take one if some guy handed me one for free, Im just saying, its not worth the money.. I mean, all you get out of it is A cool trigger pull, and burst shots..
    Interesting enough, I bet you've spent just as much, if not more on your set-up than I have my electro set-up.
    Team Wicked Malice-"Mess With the Best, Die Like the Rest!"

Bah....

First, to say that no insurance allows full auto is silly. Maybe STANDARD paintball insurance doesn't allow it, or most insurance does not, but not being able to get insurance that allows full auto usage is not some physical law of the universe. You're just going to have to pay more for the insurance, something that isn't worthwhile to most fields (as full auto doesn't tend to be good for buisiness).

As for paintball being expensive - it isn't. It's no more expensive than pretty much any other recreational activity you'd play at a facility - like skiing, snow boarding, golf, ice hockey (much cheaper than ice hockey) etc. Tried playing viedo games at the arcade all day on a saturday lately? Probably not, beause it's expensive.

Recreational activity, especially whe that eactivity entails paying employees to provide the facilities for that activity, costs a decent amount of money. People arn't going to run a field in the red just so you can play paintball cheaper.

- Chris
    National Collegiate Paintball Association, Inc., President
    www.college-paintball.com - "A Club for Every Campus"
    www.high-school-paintball.com - "We Create Newbies"

American Paintball Players Association, Director
    www.paintball-players.org

i got a bad job $50 dollers a weekend , so during the week i go to BYOP night at high velocity in ny , so i blow everything there , its too expensive it probly costs companies 10 cents per 100 balls

Which companies?

There really is *NOT* much movement on price on paint. Making a gelatin sphere is NOT an easy process and the equipment that is used to do it is EXPENSIVE. By the time you factor in workforce, distribution, refridgeration, and a wee bit of profit, you're looking at a couple bucks a case of margin for the manufacturer. At the field, the markup they put on is necessary to cover rent, taxes, staff, maintenence, improvements, etc.

I don't know why people think paint companies are gouging them on prices - it just doesn't make any sense in a free market with lots of competitors. With 5 major and somethin like 12 total paint manufacturers in North America, if someone could sell paint for less, they would. Simple economics.

So yeah, you can believe that you can get paint for a penny a ball, but you'd be wrong. (Well, unless youre buying seconds maybe...)

- Chris

personman Guest
    Originally posted by IceCool32

Interesting enough, I bet you've spent just as much, if not more on your set-up than I have my electro set-up.
    Well, I have only spent money on a revy and a nitro tank. I got my mag for xmas.. lol(tko pak)

Come on though, look at a piantball. It is a little piece of material with very little paint in it. How much can that really cost? Even our high God Tom Kaye has to admit that the profit margin for paintball companies has to be insane. Look at an Angel and an Emag, how much do those really take to make? And then they clip on a $1500 price tag and we all buy it! Oh well, it's the price you pay for the greatest game on earth.

-Griffin
    Quote the Griffin, never more...

HyperSnyper Guest
    Originally posted by personman
    He obviously hasnt fired and used a Hyperframe =) .

-Hyper (w/ frame)

Griffin, that is how the world works. Those guys who make the markers and paint need money to be able to pay other people money. Its a big circle

I am assuming many of the guys on the board are from upper middle class familys or above, its like saying does a doctor really need to charge THAT much. Minium wage is only $5 an hour, why does he charge so much more that that. BTW, Most people pay a fraction of the cost of their doctor visits, insurance covers most of it.

Well...

The gelatin and filling for the shell? Virtually nothing. The equipment to shape that gelatin into a nearly perfect sphere? BILLIONS of dollars. The interest on the loan used to buy that equipment? A lot. And oyu have to pay people to keep the factory working, throw out some of your paint (at least if you're a good paint company) when you get bad batches (happens to everyone, just a matter of catching it before it gets out there).

Same for markers - the costs arn't really in the materials, it's in the development of the product, improvements to raw materials, labor, etc. You obviously don't have a good grasp on the costs involved in producing a product.

Let me put it this way: If you could start a paint manufacturing company and sell paint at half the cost of what everyone else is selling it at, you would, and you'd make a fortune. You can't, and no one does, because it isn't possible. Paintballs cost money. Deal.

- Chris

Why does paintball cost so much?

Simple, the answer is David Youngblood.

On a more serious note I think you make paintball as expensive as you want it to be. No one is forcing you to shoot a lot of paint. You should limit yourself by playing a position that does not require you to shoot that much. Do not allow team members to pressure you into wasting excess amounts of paint. You shouldn't feel the need to get an expensive gun, they don't do much more than shine. You must find the equipment that fits your needs and nothing more. Mounds of Money are a luxury in paintball and people are treating it as more of a necessity. Very little money is needed to have a great paintball experience. Painballing is just a hobby you have fun with. After you get the proper equipment you just have to pay for field fees, air and paint. Field fees vary, some places are fair, some places are expensive and some places don't have one because they follow the Field Paint Only Rule. You have to find a field that fits your needs and if worse comes to worse you can always build your own little field as long as you play safe. Building your own field is not difficult; I assume you all have parents who are more than willing to help you in your project. It is not impossible; it just takes some effort and perseverance. Air is usually very cheap, if you are going to play at a real field Co2 fills go from $3 for a 20 oz tank up to $15.I will remind you that those fields who only allow field paint and have no field fee have inflated paint and air prices. One fill should be more than enough. If you decide to make a field you can just stop by the local paintball store and get your tanks filled. Paint is just something you have to learn to manage. It isn't difficult and paintballing may seem expensive to most people because all paintballers go to extremes to impress each other with the latest equipment and what not.

Taking mags apart is fun, its even more fun when you don't know what you're doing

Actually, I belive Tom say that the paitn companies are barely breaking even.

I don't ahev that many problems with $. My problem, incu\luding several other people here, is feilds. Soem of you, actually I know for a fact that a lot of you have a feild within a 20 minute drive. some have 2 or 3 feild in your area. THe nearest feild for me is about 50 MILES. Now how do you supposed I get my parents (I'm 15) to just drive me an hour away for a half a day? What do you suppose they do? sit in the car for 5 hours while I play? And no, I can't prusuade them to play. I haev tried and tried to egt my dad to pick up my gun and play with me but he just doesnt wanna. Now, I wouldn't mind spending 10$ for a walk on fee w/air. Thats fine, if i can BMOP. But getting someone to get me there is more of the problem. I know what some of you are saying, play with friends. I have one friend who actually understand the "Paitnball" concept. All teh others in my area who own markers do not understand the concept. They have their own concept. Its called run at each other all day long and waist paint and money. They are FRIGGIN IDIOTS. There are no eliminations in their games. None. It lasts till they run out of gas, paint, or get hungry. WHAT KINDA FKED UP AEGRR (stops)

I will never play with them for that reason.

I am sorry if that turned into a rant. I tired nto to let out da rage like in the chat rooms (sorry bout taht mods).

Its just plain and simple: There are people who should be shot.

Ok, well what's the difference between a high-end electro and a cocker or mag both are high-end semi jsut not electro. They don't have the 1200 cost either.

The reason you and I pay so much for paintball is that the field or place where you buy it raises the price, if you was a dealer it would be cheeper. Any dealers that will share their price for paint out there?

But really, all you need is one paintball to get an elimination, not 600. If you can't afford to buy that much paint play differently.
    -=Jason=-

Automag owner since 1/11/01

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack." George S. Patton

"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. And freedom will be defended, make no mistake: The United States will hunt down and punish those responsible for these cowardly acts." - President Bush

I think some have posted some legitimate statements. Once you buy your gun, the cost starts to go down. I've owned my Mag for 11 years with no major mods, but with some of the new shiny guns, it's hard to realize a cost reduction within the first year. Also, you have to think about what else are you spending your money on? Do you like cars, computers, chicks? Thoes things cost money too. When I was in high school, paintball and D'n D were my life. That's most likely the reason I didn't have a chick, because I was a dork. Some people just choose their priorities. Now mine are as follows.

1. Paintball
    2. Intercourse
    3. Family

One other thing, when we started out, we all bought pumps since that was all we could afford. Of course, only millionaires could afford semi's back then. You also tended to shoot less paint with a pump, 12grams and and 80 round loader.