Thread: Now showing! CF mag body!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Now showing! CF mag body!

I've had this idea rolling around since before SPE where I showed off an almost complete prototype. Since then I've milled the sear slot and on/off hole in the CF tube and have test cycled it about 1000 times with no problems (except the occasional chuff from my trigger finger getting tired).

I wanted to see what the interest may be in a Carbon Fiber mag body. Well, it has an aluminum breech and a CF tube attached. The prototype breech was from a ULE body that Shane-O unknowingly donated and some sample CF tube I purchased from a supplier. Right now the tube is has just a slight interference fit with the breech so its easy to take apart and clean. That may change in the final version, but for now the slip-fit seems to be working nicely.

Anyway, below are some pics of the prototype as I tested it and some shots of the body itself. Below that are some screenshots of a breech design I've been working on. If you have any input on the design that'd be great. I am also considering designing up a rail to match the body, but that has yet to be seen. If there's enough interested I'd definitely like to do a run of these bodies. Since there's less machining involved than a usual billet aluminum mag body, the price will probably be slightly lower, but I don't have any specifics at the moment. I'm kind of leery to do a pre-order as those usually turn out long over-schedule, but if I get a solid quote and lead time from my machinist for the bodies, it may be safest for all involved. Oh, also the tube is available in textured gloss or satin sanded (pictured) finish. I thought the sanded satin finish would go nicely with a dusted breech section.

Let me know what you think!

The only thing that may concern me is the wear on the inside of the CF tube from the stainless steel bolt sliding against it. The pic shows the internal finish on the tube. Most of the scratches were there when I got the tube in the mail. I attributed this to the manufacturing process of the tube when they slid it off the mandrel. For the prototype I put some light lubricating oil all around the inside of the tube and a thin coat on the bolt before I proceeded with testing. After about 1000 cycles the tube didn't show any significant signs of wear. I know 1000 cycles is a drop in the bucket, so I'll probably need someone with pneumag or RT guts to cycle a scuba tank worth of air through it so we can get a better idea. The good thing about the modular design is that the CF tube is easily replaceable if it does wear out prematurely. And the tube is relatively inexpensive for short sections like is used here.

Here's the breech design I had in mind. The computed weight (theoretical) puts it at lighter than a ULE body (I forget by how much). The prototype body pictured above is 105.5g (3.73 oz) with the feedneck and detent installed and 72.3g (2.55 oz) with the feedneck removed. This design will be slightly lighter than that because of the material removal around the feedneck. I may increase the amount of material there for strength reasons, but thats the overall design flow I wanted to go with - simple yet aesthetically pleasing. Right now I have it designed for 'Cocker barrel threads, Angel feed necks and Angel detents.

And a cross-section view:

Thats all for now and please let me know what you all think. I'd love to do some more projects for the AGD community.

That's a pretty good idea. But having the back part of the body CF would give the marker a 3-tone look. I am not sure that it would flow very well. But if you were to use other CF parts on (e.g., carbon foregrip, carbon barrel), that may blend in well.

True, also if I were using an X-valve it would look better too as the valve would match the breech and the CF would provide the only tone difference. I think it is possibly to "overkill" on the CF components, like if you had a CF barrel and foregrip combined with the body, it might be a little much. Also the tube could be painted, but that doesn't show off the CF goodness.

I like it!!!

I think it'd look sweet on an all gloss black gun with a CF body, foregrip, barrel, grip panels. NOT the CLEAR ones with CF sticker on them!!!

But I think the offset of the color would go nicely!!!

I doubt I'd buy one right now though as I think 12 mags is enough. But I could be pushed easily enough.

DM

warped you make verry good stuff.

He's the shizz aint he!

I have a X-valved mag on loan to shoot a bunch of shots on. I truely beleive that there wont be any wear from the bolt, It should ride on the power tube, and not inside the body. Guess I will have to go to the field and hook it up to a bulk air tank and go to town on the trigger.....
    I have nothing good to put here...........

Cool concept.. bet she is pretty light.

crazyjoe12 Guest

Thumbs up

i too would like to add i like it alot better with the ule breech on it, if you plan on making them like that i will deff be picking one up. great idea/design warped keep up the awsome work

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update.

I now have the resources to completely machine the custom body shown in the pics on the first page. It will still be a LOT of work, but it is possible. It might make for a good summer project though.

In the meantime, I am wanting to do another run of the cut-down ULE CF bodies, like I did a while back. I'd need probably 5-6 people dedicated to make it worthwhile, so if anyone is interested in that, speak now.

I will slowly start pulling together resources to do the full-on custom bodies, but I am still a full time student working part time as well, so it may be just that - slow. Once I get a bit more free time to think and crunch some numbers I will post up here what the final plans are.

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by warpedmephisto
    Hey guys, just wanted to give an update.

I now have the resources to completely machine the custom body shown in the pics on the first page. It will still be a LOT of work, but it is possible. It might make for a good summer project though.

In the meantime, I am wanting to do another run of the cut-down ULE CF bodies, like I did a while back. I'd need probably 5-6 people dedicated to make it worthwhile, so if anyone is interested in that, speak now.

I will slowly start pulling together resources to do the full-on custom bodies, but I am still a full time student working part time as well, so it may be just that - slow. Once I get a bit more free time to think and crunch some numbers I will post up here what the final plans are.

Thank you all!
    how much will it be.. I'm pretty interested please shoot me a pm of the price..
    thanks
    rseb4agze

Quote Originally Posted by rseb4agze
    how much will it be.. I'm pretty interested please shoot me a pm of the price..
    thanks
    rseb4agze

I'm interested as well warp just depends on price

First time I've seen this thread and I must say that your work is VERY impressive Warped! I'd definitely be in for a custom-breach body if it goes into production in the summer, seeing as how my Pnuemag should be mostly finished by then so I'll be jonesing for another project

Quick question about the body, is the carbon fiber part of the body only held on by the field strip screw?

BTW Ruler_Mark, that is a sexy, SEXY mag...

Hey WM, do you want me to try and work on the order details for the CF mod'd bodies for ya???

Let me know if so and I'll try and get it up n going again.

We'll settle up sometime as well.

DM

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathbringer
    Quick question about the body, is the carbon fiber part of the body only held on by the field strip screw?
    The CF tube is not held on by anything really. The ULE is cut down and then a lip is lathed onto part of it that allows the CF tube to slide onto and over the lip. The CF tube has the slot for the sear and the hole for the on/off cut into it as well. It's held it by sliding onto the cut down ULE body and the valve body. If you take the valve off and then take the body off, the CF tube comes off of the body as it's just held on by the slight friction.

The CF tube can rotate a bit now and then when shooting and cause the sear to snag now and then. So it's best to try and put a very light dab of fingernail polish or other sealing liquid on the lip and set the CF tube on and let it cure. It will still pull off if need be, but should otherwise stay in place.

DM

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathbringer
    BTW Ruler_Mark, that is a sexy, SEXY mag...
    /agree

All that's missing is some carbon fiber grips

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage reigns
    I may have one for u. PM me if u are interested.
    I'll get with you when the time comes. $ is tied up with other projects atm.