Thread: HELP adjustable max flow reg on/off does nothing its always on??

HELP adjustable max flow reg on/off does nothing its always on??

Guys,

I just purchased a used max flow adjustable high pressure reg. I took the reg apart as soon as I received it because the seller had informed me that the on off did not work and needed o rings replaced. I took the reg apart and one by one replaced every o ring I could find with new ones. I noticed that on the on/off switch itself there are 2 o rings in line and I also noticed that there is one tiny o ring in the main chamber right near the on/off.

I was wondering if anyone familiar with the smart parts max flow regs knows which o rings would be responsible for the on/off functioning properly. Like I said in the title, the reg is pretty much set to ON at all times no matter where the on/off lever is turned. I would prefer NOT to leave my gun aired up 24/7 due to a non fucntional on/off switch on the reg. I was excited after putting the reg back together because I figured it would work with the new o rings...no such luck.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Nate

http://www.smartparts.com/Manuals/Ma...old_Manual.pdf

This is the manual for the adjustable Max-Flo regs. If you have an in-line, it should be the same. Go to the third page of the manual. look at the second picture (figure 2.2 - Cut Away Overview). The o-ring in question should be #494 (third one down on the image). It is a size 04 o-ring, durometer 90, probably urethane. You might be able to find that o-ring at a hardware store or something, but if not:

http://www.smartparts.com/Store/Prod...b-a6d6e464163f

This is the Smart Parts store link. Pick up a Manifold on/off kit, should do the trick. It's really easy to change it. I had to replace the same o-ring on my Max-Flo Micro. I'm pretty sure its the same setup. Just remove the c-clips, pull out the on/off assembly, replace the o-ring, drop it back in, replace the c-clips.

The problem oring is the one inside the on/off cavity. It's very small and can be missed if you're not looking close enough. If you look at the on/off assy you'll see a small hole between 2 packing going from one end to the other. That's whats cutting your packings. You need to get some 6 or 400 grit sand paper and ream the hole out just enough to get the sharp edges out. Replace the small oring in the cavity (if you have a RT parts kit, the oring for the reg seat works perfectly) and reinstall the on/off assy.

Before you turn on/off the reg, lower the pressure coming from the reg to your marker. I found that even thou you do that mod, every once in a blue moon it'll still cuts the oring due to the high pressure pushing the small oring against the on/off assy. The engineering of that on/off was done by

Edit: There's no retaining clip holding it in. It's a long allen screw. If you look at the pdf xero posted. You'll see the oring i'm taking about. It's the [494] O-Ring (04/90).
    Last edited by Ando; 04-20-2010 at 12:31 PM.

You made my day with some VERY helpful links!

This site will teach you everything you need to know about the Max-Flo regs:

http://www.zdspb.com/tech/mguide/reg..._manifold.html

Forgot about site

The hole between the 2 orings is the one you smooth out

and that's the oring you need to replace

Quote Originally Posted by Ando
    Forgot about site

The hole between the 2 orings is the one you smooth out

and that's the oring you need to replace
    O you guys are great!

I think it is funny the Smart Parts document recommends 900 psi for the automag and 700 psi for the RT????

It appears that everyone trying to maximize RT effect through a reactive valve is trying to get between 1100 and 1200 psi input to the valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando
    Edit: There's no retaining clip holding it in. It's a long allen screw. If you look at the pdf xero posted. You'll see the oring i'm taking about. It's the [494] O-Ring (04/90).
    That depends upon the model of maxflo you use. I ran into this very same problem with my buddy's last model maxflo reg today. He kept talking on the phone about that allen screw, and I (with my older maxflo in front of me) was looking all over the reg to try to figure out what he was talking about.

The new ones (one piece body, with the pressure adjusting knob right in front of the bottle opening) have the allen screw, the older ones (two piece body, with the pressure adjusting screw part parallel to the the retaining clip, not in front of the bottle opening) have that retaining clip.

Correct. Gen 2's have them the Gen 3's don't.