Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: yo dawg, i herd u liek air fills

  1. #1

    yo dawg, i herd u liek air fills

    How would I make a fill station out of a normal paintball tank?

    I play with a 22ci tank, which is usually enough to get me through at least two games of speedball.

    But it's the third game that's kind of sketchy.

    What I want to do is take a normal (like, a 90ci) tank and use it as a portable fill station so I don't have to walk all the way back to get air, and/or to top off if necessary.

    I suppose the easiest thing to do would be to take the HP gauge off and run a hose from that to a manifold which has a gauge, on/off, and a bleed.

    What's the cheapest way to do this? Your typical cheapie "scuba fill station" has almost all the right parts, except for the reliance on a scuba k-valve.


    Any suggestions? On the cheap?
    "Accuracy by aiming."


    Definitely not on the A-Team.

  2. #2
    two asa's connected by a macro?

  3. #3
    Thinking about this I think it would just be cheaper, easier & safer to buy a second or third 22ci tank.

  4. #4
    Considering the price of real fill stations, there really isn't a good, cheap safe way to do this just so you "don't have to walk all the way back to get air." Like mentioned earlier you're better off just buying an extra tank or two.

    Mostpeople: using an ASA you can only fill the 22ci tank to the output of the larger tank, so around 800-1000 psi or less than a third of a full fill. Also you probably shouldn't fill tanks through the output of the regulator if it's even possible depending on the design.

  5. #5
    So what exactly is the safety difference between a normal HPA tank with a gauge on the HP side, and an HPA tank with an on/off on the HP side of the regulator which then leads to a gauge and a normal mini fill station?

    Or do you guys happen to mistrust the mini scuba fill stations as well?

    (I'm talking like one of these)


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by mostpeople
    two asa's connected by a macro?
    = explosion

  7. #7
    Alright, so I started to assume I'd be on my own for this one so went poking around a bit on the interwebs some more. Guess what?

    http://www.airhog.com/mini_tanks.htm

    ZOMG SAFETY!!!111

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    mon calamari
    Posts
    718
    let me get this straight, you want to skip having to go to the fill station after 2 games to refill your current 22ci, so instead you want to carry around a 90ci(this is what you listed in your first post) and a 22ci? why refill the 22 off of the 90ci? just use the 90. or even better bump up to a bigger tank to use on your marker, a 68ci/4500 is lots of air. or you can even just get another 22ci/3000 and carry that and when the first tank is out unscrew it and pop on the other. no messing around with hose connections.

    OMG! the price of those airhog tanks is just nuts! an 88 cu ft @ 4500psi is $600! for that price you can get a bunch of smaller tanks and just carry 3 on you. do you really want to invest that much money to avoid having to walk to a fill station? and seeing as how paint isn't a problem bringing with you for 3 games i assume you have a big podpack with lots of paint on you, just carry another tank instead.

    2 weekends ago at Spring Pump Event my 88/4500 lasted 2 days. i did refill at the start of the 2nd day because it was the tournament and i was at 2000 from the previous day. i could have easily just kept playing but i didn't want to risk it. still got a full 7 games in with out having to refill air, just the 40 paintballs we were allowed each round. this is what i'd get http://www.actionvillage.com/031-536-0014
    e-mag 226
    flashed with 1.31

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hamilton IL
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by tribalman
    let me get this straight, you want to skip having to go to the fill station after 2 games to refill your current 22ci, so instead you want to carry around a 90ci(this is what you listed in your first post) and a 22ci? why refill the 22 off of the 90ci? just use the 90. or even better bump up to a bigger tank to use on your marker, a 68ci/4500 is lots of air. or you can even just get another 22ci/3000 and carry that and when the first tank is out unscrew it and pop on the other. no messing around with hose connections.

    OMG! the price of those airhog tanks is just nuts! an 88 cu ft @ 4500psi is $600! for that price you can get a bunch of smaller tanks and just carry 3 on you. do you really want to invest that much money to avoid having to walk to a fill station? and seeing as how paint isn't a problem bringing with you for 3 games i assume you have a big podpack with lots of paint on you, just carry another tank instead.

    2 weekends ago at Spring Pump Event my 88/4500 lasted 2 days. i did refill at the start of the 2nd day because it was the tournament and i was at 2000 from the previous day. i could have easily just kept playing but i didn't want to risk it. still got a full 7 games in with out having to refill air, just the 40 paintballs we were allowed each round. this is what i'd get http://www.actionvillage.com/031-536-0014
    That 88ci @ 4500 is not a normal air tank though, its like a scuba tank so it says 88ci but its not the same ci as a Paintball tank, its much more...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    mon calamari
    Posts
    718
    the 88cubic incher tanks that i have ARE paintball tanks. they are only slightly larger than a 68ci. it's not huge like a SCUBA. SCUBA tanks are rated in cubic feet, if you were to use a ci tank you'd have like 5 minutes air. want pictures of my tanks?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    Alright, so I started to assume I'd be on my own for this one so went poking around a bit on the interwebs some more. Guess what?

    http://www.airhog.com/mini_tanks.htm

    ZOMG SAFETY!!!111
    You said "on the cheap" and that isn't.

    If I really wanted to do this I would buy a scuba fill station and cut the k-valve part off and then tap the input for an 1/8" NPT steel line. Although I'd buy a second 22ci tank or walk for fills first because both of those are easier and cheaper, and I don't trust my machining skills with 4500 psi. Also there's no way to depressurize the line to the fill station you have to drain the air out or leave that line sitting with whatever pressure is in the tank.
    Last edited by smeek; 05-01-2010 at 01:52 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ohio.
    Posts
    7,752
    on/off asa, with a line to a female QD.

    Put it on the tanks fill port, crank the on/off to the on position, and the pressures will try to balance. Since theres more in the bigger tank, the 22ci will get moar air.

    Unless you already have the bigger tank, I'd buy another 22ci. They're cheap.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by behemoth
    on/off asa, with a line to a female QD.

    Put it on the tanks fill port, crank the on/off to the on position, and the pressures will try to balance. Since theres more in the bigger tank, the 22ci will get moar air.

    Unless you already have the bigger tank, I'd buy another 22ci. They're cheap.

    Like I said before, that only fills the 22ci tank to the output pressure of the larger tank, which is usually 800-1000 psi at the most. Doesn't matter how much air is in the larger tank.

    I know very well because at big games in the past I ran a gun on tank and then when it got low ran a remote tank to the fill nipple, on field.

  14. #14
    Actually now that I think about this you could do it really easily with a dynaflow/hyperflow tank reg. The push button on/off shuts off the flow before the gauges and bleeds the line when you shut it off. All you would have to do is take the HP gauge off and put a steel line with a female Q/D with the proper pressure rating, nothing else needed.

    You may be able to use the normal output instead of the gauge port, but I don't know what the max pressure is on those regs.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Ohio.
    Posts
    7,752
    Quote Originally Posted by smeek
    Like I said before, that only fills the 22ci tank to the output pressure of the larger tank, which is usually 800-1000 psi at the most. Doesn't matter how much air is in the larger tank.

    I know very well because at big games in the past I ran a gun on tank and then when it got low ran a remote tank to the fill nipple, on field.
    Yeah, i guess you're right.

    My vote is still to just pick up a 2nd 22ci, OR, upgrade to a 45/45

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gardners, PA
    Posts
    308
    the guage that displays how full your tank is is on the tank side of your reg. drawing from that port allows access to the full pressure of the tank. connecting this port to the fill nipple of anther tank will equalize the pressure in the two tanks. for example, hooking a 22 up to a 90 would result in an almost full fill due to the volume difference. this is however, very dangerous if done wrong. but, with a good valve, psi rated hoses, and some caution, theres no reason it cant be done. that being said, id much rather plod over to the fill station than carry an extra huge tank and filling equipment with me. please forgive my grammer, im on my phone.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Downtown San Jose
    Posts
    4,384
    My vote would be to buy a new, larger tank.

    On self-imposed ban. You know why. Good luck, AO.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by smeek
    Actually now that I think about this you could do it really easily with a dynaflow/hyperflow tank reg. The push button on/off shuts off the flow before the gauges and bleeds the line when you shut it off. All you would have to do is take the HP gauge off and put a steel line with a female Q/D with the proper pressure rating, nothing else needed.

    You may be able to use the normal output instead of the gauge port, but I don't know what the max pressure is on those regs.

    Ooh... damn I hadn't thought of that. That just might do it... I'll have to look into this.


    And yes, I realize that the previous tank wasn't exactly on the cheap, it was just an example of people already doing what I wanted.


    Getting a second 22ci tank is not an option currently, as my tank regulator is not a screw in, and the tank is somewhat "integrated" with the gun. I may switch in the future, but as a general rule, I don't like to pull tanks off guns unless absolutely necessary. I have other tanks, but the 22ci is my favorite for reasons which should be obvious.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    port st. lousey fl origin
    Posts
    2,831
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    Ooh... damn I hadn't thought of that. That just might do it... I'll have to look into this.


    And yes, I realize that the previous tank wasn't exactly on the cheap, it was just an example of people already doing what I wanted.


    Getting a second 22ci tank is not an option currently, as my tank regulator is not a screw in, and the tank is somewhat "integrated" with the gun. I may switch in the future, but as a general rule, I don't like to pull tanks off guns unless absolutely necessary. I have other tanks, but the 22ci is my favorite for reasons which should be obvious.
    OK it's about time we see pic's of this one , I bet it's

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic
    OK it's about time we see pic's of this one , I bet it's

    Hah... I've posted this pic before. The gun's changed a bit since then on the front end.

    http://picasaweb.google.com/goatzill...44836089524114

    You should recognize the rail on that one, seeing as it's your handywork :P

    As you can see, my q-loader is mounted on the tank, making tank removal a bit more involved. But this is the lightest and most compact setup you can have with a q-loader.

    I've got that warp plate you milled for me, and I'm planning to switch regs and setups and get the q-loader off the tank, but I haven't quite found quite the right drop/mount to keep things in the same relative positions, and I really like where everything is currently. All that said, even if I go screw-in... I still wouldn't pull the tank off the gun unless absolutely necessary. Keeps the airsystem clean and reduces wear and tear if you never crack it open in the first place...




    Need to get my hands on one of these Centerflag regs...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    1,245
    your best bet would be to get an hp fitting the size of your 88 reg threads tap that to a hp steel braided line into a female fitting into a bleed valve out to another line with a qd on that will fit your fill nipple, other than that you can try tapping onto a k-valve onto a k-valve fill station...

    also check the mini scuba tanks they might be threaded the same as our hp tanks but do remember to properly torque everything and use fittings and lines rated for atleast 500 psi above what your output source is as well if the output is higher than the input do not overfill your input.... and past that buy a viking and shoot alot more off of the smaller tank!
    VV04962 yeah thats my Pewter CnC X-mag

    Looking for a milled 04 featherlight viking!!!

    my feedback!!!http://www.automags.org/forums/showt...84#post1584884

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •