Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31

Thread: How do you classify a Pneumag?

  1. #1

    How do you classify a Pneumag?

    I've been engaged in a friendly debate on Pbnation with this guy about Pneumags (and I guess any other gun that uses pneumatics to trip the sear). He says he does not consider them to be mechanical guns.

    My point is simply: There are no electronics in them, therefore, they are mechanical.

    I don't really see any reason to differentiate them from simpler mechanical guns. Granted, they are in a league of their own in the speed department, but only because the trigger is lighter. They still rely on user skill to shoot them fast, as there is no circuit board to monitor half-trigger pulls and whatnot.

    Furthermore, there are no eyes to prevent chops - you must rely on mechanical methods to prevent that.

    Your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hamilton IL
    Posts
    912
    I would agree, inst the autococker a pnumatic mech gun? ask him about that.

    Oh and you lose just by arguing with someone from PBN...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massassachussessetts
    Posts
    3,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Loneassassin
    I've been engaged in a friendly debate on Pbnation with this guy about Pneumags (and I guess any other gun that uses pneumatics to trip the sear). He says he does not consider them to be mechanical guns.
    Then he's an idiot. Link us to the thread please?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Loneassassin
    I've been engaged in a friendly debate on Pbnation with this guy about Pneumags (and I guess any other gun that uses pneumatics to trip the sear). He says he does not consider them to be mechanical guns.
    Don't feed the trolls and they will go away. You're right. He's wrong, leave it at that. You don't need validation from some PBN Dbag.

  5. #5
    Well, he isn't the troll type. And he comes across as intelligent and respectful - I just don't agree with him, lol.

    His point was that with Pneumags, there is no direct linkage between the trigger and the firing mechanism. It doesn't make any difference, in my opinion. It's all in how you look at it.

    Here's a link to the thread:

    http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3403571

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massassachussessetts
    Posts
    3,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Loneassassin
    Well, he isn't the troll type. And he comes across as intelligent and respectful - I just don't agree with him, lol.
    It's not a matter of agreement, the guys just confused.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hanceville, AL
    Posts
    120
    Are they completely mechanical? Yes.

    The better question is do they break the spirit of the "mechs only" day/tournament/scenario games?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    invest in me and, HELP
    Posts
    584
    and here is my reply to the "Logic" this person employs:

    ok, uh...
    this is some daft logic here.
    and just to qualify myself I am a machinist, that builds paintball guns and I have degrees in design engineering and Advanced theoretical physics.
    this is in no way a personal attack so please don't take offence.

    Quote Originally Posted by pump View Post
    mech guns your finger pulls the trigger which is directly linked to the gun
    Well yes, but all guns are connected to their triggers.
    you might want to think of a way to re-phrase your point...


    pneued guns the actuation of the trigger is done by the 3way hooked up to the ram
    No. That is not correct. pulling the trigger depresses the valve/switch gas then moves the ram which trips the sear.
    the ram does not at any time come into contact with the trigger.


    also to say a pneumag or pneucocker is the same as mech is missing the point of pneuing those guns which is a shorter and lighter trigger pull leading higher rate of fire
    but a higher rate of fire was the whole reason that Glenn Palmer came up with the Pneumatic Automation system that gave birth to the semi-automatic paintball gun... a design that was promptly stolen and mass produced.

    also the 3way valve used for pneued guns could also be replaced by a solenoid,
    and if my Aunt had balls she would be my uncle.
    Sorry the fact you can replace parts with alternate parts is irrelevant.


    and in the cases of the pneucockers the solenoid core is replaced with the 3way but the fitting from the noid is still used, making is less like a mech than it is like an electro,

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massassachussessetts
    Posts
    3,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Daze
    The better question is do they break the spirit of the "mechs only" day/tournament/scenario games?
    Not really. I mean, you can do the same thing with an R/T valve or a ULT on/off. Both facilitate speed, be it by lighter trigger pulls or speedier more forceful valve resetting. There seems to be a sort of petty jealousy from users of blowbacks and cockers because Tom Kaye happened to make a mechanical marker that was faster and chopped less... People have been mimicking the R/T effect with blowbacks and creating anti-chop bolts for years now, but it doesn't keep up.

    That's not to say that Tippmanns and Spyders and 'Cockers are inferior markers, but frankly I can get a greater ROF out of my Classic Valve mags and those predate blowbacks entirely. Hell my 1996 Classic R/T is faster than my pneumag, and theres no way you can classify that as being more "new-fangled" than a Tippmann X-7 or something.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massassachussessetts
    Posts
    3,210
    Quote Originally Posted by LK-13
    and here is my reply to the "Logic" this person employs:
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I know I'm not...) but the sear assembly of the stock Automag is not in any way attached to the trigger. The trigger is held to the frame by a single pin, and the sear hangs down into the frame where it is "bumped" by the trigger but not actually attached to anything other than the rail.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Wells, ME, USA
    Posts
    92
    The old Vector had a pneumatic trigger.
    Many of the 90s-era spoolers had pneumatic triggers (meaning, the trigger only actuated a 3way valve). ie Pheonix, Equalizer, Nova, etc

    There seems to be a sort of petty jealousy from users of blowbacks and cockers because Tom Kaye happened to make a mechanical marker that was faster and chopped less..
    My memory of the old school automags was they chopped paint more then any other gun, and the shootdown was horrific if you actually tried to fire fast. Those oldschool liquid blowbacks could run 40bps and never have any shootdown.... not that you could pull the trigger anywhere near that speed.

    The whole point of the warp and RT was to correct those problems?

    Don't Support Paintball Nazis

    Boycott Smart Parts

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Daze
    The better question is do they break the spirit of the "mechs only" day/tournament/scenario games?

    I don't think so either. They are just the ultimate mechanical guns. Heck, before I put pneumag mods on mine, it was still faster than my mech cocker (which is oh so smooth). With a ULT, a Mag is walkable. I think if I'd had a trigger stop at that time it would have been fairly easy to walk, as a matter of fact. The pneumatic parts just make it easier yet.

    I think that RT's might kind of cross the line of "mechs only" though - just because it's basically full auto.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I know I'm not...) but the sear assembly of the stock Automag is not in any way attached to the trigger. The trigger is held to the frame by a single pin, and the sear hangs down into the frame where it is "bumped" by the trigger but not actually attached to anything other than the rail.
    Excellent point. I will bring that up if he decides to pursue the argument. By his rational, a regular Automag is not a mechanical gun...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,157
    pump is a troll. we all once had an argument with him about the defintion of standard deviation. its not worth it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Right Place, Wrong Time
    Posts
    287
    what's sad is i have alot of respect for that guy over on PBN he does some crazy things in the Pump cocker world. However he's completely off the reservation in this discussion.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by LK-13
    but a higher rate of fire was the whole reason that Glenn Palmer came up with the Pneumatic Automation system that gave birth to the semi-automatic paintball gun... a design that was promptly stolen and mass produced.

    You are half correct. The design was promptly used by others.

    However, Glenn created the semi-auto pneumatic re-cocking system because of a shoulder injury he has. He didn't like to PUMP all the time to be able to play. Glenn did NOT create the semi-auto system simply for the higher rate of fire. Glenn has ALWAYS been against super high rates of fire in paintball. This is why he didn't allow the Pneu-Blazer , the RT Blazer or the Grinder (and originally the E-Blazer) to become a production gun.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    9,333
    The pneumag is a mechanical gun - in the sense that we judge mechanical guns in paintball. I guess technical it is a pneumatic-mechanical gun and there might be some discussion if it is a "true" mechanical gun, but I would assume the same discussion then applies to autocockers.

    The problem I have with some people who insist they are "mechanical" is then they beg for mechanical only tournaments. These same people sometimes bemoan the rise of BPS in the sport and then seek to make the rules such that they have the BPS advantage. Up until this point I really don't worry about how one classifies it.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Loneassassin
    I think that RT's might kind of cross the line of "mechs only" though - just because it's basically full auto.
    I think that is your (the general) main problem; mixing modes of operation with rate of fire. Even if a marker runs full auto, you can't say it's an electronic marker if it doesn't use batteries or circuits.

    "Mech" and "electro" are too general as categories if you're trying to classify rates of fire. Admittedly, the drive for electros was an easy and dependable increase in rate of fire, but that doesn't restrict purely mechanical markers from going faster or electronic assisted markers from going slower.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW
    I think that is your (the general) main problem; mixing modes of operation with rate of fire. Even if a marker runs full auto, you can't say it's an electronic marker if it doesn't use batteries or circuits.

    "Mech" and "electro" are too general as categories if you're trying to classify rates of fire. Admittedly, the drive for electros was an easy and dependable increase in rate of fire, but that doesn't restrict purely mechanical markers from going faster or electronic assisted markers from going slower.
    righto

    if i made a mechanically triggered pnumatic gun that fired 1000 rounds a second ... it would still be a mechanically triggered pnumatic gun. it would still be a "mech" gun.

    my single triggered tribal shoots about 8 BPS on a good day, but its still and electro.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,183
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
    my single triggered tribal shoots about 8 BPS on a good day, but its still and electro.
    and my ep mag doesn't shoot any faster than when it was just a pneumag, it just doesn't chuff, with or without coffee.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massassachussessetts
    Posts
    3,210
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxed
    My memory of the old school automags was they chopped paint more then any other gun, and the shootdown was horrific if you actually tried to fire fast. Those oldschool liquid blowbacks could run 40bps and never have any shootdown.... not that you could pull the trigger anywhere near that speed.

    The whole point of the warp and RT was to correct those problems?
    Eh, I wouldn't say that....

    I had an anti-siphon kit and about 2 feet of coiled hose on my early lvl7 classics and never had a problem with c02. They always seemed to cycle better/faster than everything else around without blending paint. If you had problems with chopping and chuffing that was usually more to do with poor tuning/maintenance and sloppy play than with the marker itself.

    Also, I know STBBs can reach very high rates of fire, but I don't remember anything field-legal that could get over 8bps until about 1999 or so. What marker is it that you're thinking of specifically?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    16

    naaahhhh

    Cut the brain game, pneumags are mo$%er fu&*g bad A$$ mechanical monsters you don't want to encounter in a dark bushes I'm vegeterian peace out

  23. #23




    Well, either the search button on the new forum works a little too well, or somebody browsed through a couple hundred pages in the "Paintball Talk" subforum before finding a thread that deserved a reply. lol

  24. #24
    What about the guns that cheerleaders use to shoot t-shirts at hockey games? Mechanical or Electro?

  25. #25
    What about this thread being 3 years old...

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    901
    necro +3

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokrkilr View Post
    What about this thread being 3 years old...
    what about the kids ? will someone think of the kids !! (Simpsons)

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massassachussessetts
    Posts
    3,210
    Quote Originally Posted by djinnform View Post
    What about the guns that cheerleaders use to shoot t-shirts at hockey games? Mechanical or Electro?
    IIRC the AirStar Nova was originally a T-shirt gun. The owner of the company modified the design to make a marker.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    IIRC the AirStar Nova was originally a T-shirt gun. The owner of the company modified the design to make a marker.
    That would explain a lot.

  30. #30
    "Accuracy by aiming."


    Definitely not on the A-Team.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •