Thread: Scuba and Shoebox?

Hybrid View

Scuba and Shoebox?

Edit: I honestly never thought I'd have reason to post on these forums again.

Can the shoebox be converted for breathable air applications? Also, what would the chances of making this thing o2 clean be? How many hours between services would this need? I can see a huge application in the scuba diving community.
    Last edited by lord1234; 06-14-2010 at 10:19 AM.
    A Sanchez Machine Distributor
    Ask me about my US Armed Forces, Law Enforcement and Fire Department Discount
    PBN Feedback
    AO feedback
    EBAY feedback

Quote Originally Posted by lord1234
    Edit: I honestly never thought I'd have reason to post on these forums again.

Can the shoebox be converted for breathable air applications? Also, what would the chances of making this thing o2 clean be? How many hours between services would this need? I can see a huge application in the scuba diving community.
    there isn't anything in the shoebox that would cause any dirtyness. The trick is going to be feeding the shoebox clean air.

I talked to Tom for a bit about this - we agreed that an in-line filter post shop compressor should result in very clean output from the shoebox.

Quote Originally Posted by brycelarson
    there isn't anything in the shoebox that would cause any dirtyness. The trick is going to be feeding the shoebox clean air.

I talked to Tom for a bit about this - we agreed that an in-line filter post shop compressor should result in very clean output from the shoebox.
    What about o2 cleaning the output? Would the orings be replaceable with Viton? What kind of grease is used in the compressor currently(if any?)

Quote Originally Posted by lord1234
    What about o2 cleaning the output? Would the orings be replaceable with Viton? What kind of grease is used in the compressor currently(if any?)
    well, the reason I think that cleaning the input would be preferable - is that then you're cleaning a relativly easly place in the chain. 85psi and moderate volume instead of the 3k+ output at the other end.

currently there is no grease in any part of the compressor that comes in contact with the air. You use a bit of lithium grease on the piston rods where they run through the guide.

The o-rings in the pistons.... well, that's one of the things that Tom worked hard on - selection of those parts was a big deal. I'm not sure what the final o-ring material choice was - but it was made for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by brycelarson
    well, the reason I think that cleaning the input would be preferable - is that then you're cleaning a relativly easly place in the chain. 85psi and moderate volume instead of the 3k+ output at the other end.

currently there is no grease in any part of the compressor that comes in contact with the air. You use a bit of lithium grease on the piston rods where they run through the guide.

The o-rings in the pistons.... well, that's one of the things that Tom worked hard on - selection of those parts was a big deal. I'm not sure what the final o-ring material choice was - but it was made for a reason.
    Yes but only certain materials can be o2 cleaned. Viton is the scuba standard. I'd definitely put a filter inline between the input compressor and the shoebox, (as well as between the shoebox and the tank).

do you have any filters in mind? I've got a scuba tank and compressor at home.