Thread: Comments on Shoebox Manual v3.0

Hybrid View

Comments on Shoebox Manual v3.0

I started a new thread because I didn't want to clutter up the sticky thread with the manual.

I read through the user manual for the shoebox compressor, and I thought that the lubrication instructions are somewhat confusing, especially for someone with little to zero mechanical background (which I guess is the target audience for the manual). For instance, on the first page it says only use white lithium grease for lubrication, but then in the "lubrication" section it says that you can use automotive oil. Also, I think a picture or better description would be helpful showing where the automotive oil can be used and where not to use it, because not everyone knows what a "bushing" is or where to find one in the system.
    ----A.H.----

at this point , I think everything in print is for gearheads , I don't think you would get 1 of the first 100 compressors if you wern't a GH

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic
    at this point , I think everything in print is for gearheads , I don't think you would get 1 of the first 100 compressors if you wern't a GH
    Yeah, I realize that. It was just a thought that occured to me when reading the manual.

You know I was debating about putting that in. I might just take it out in the next version. Thanks for the feedback.

AGD

Tom,maybe some kind of parts master list that relates to the Mcmaster Carr catolog would help.Bearings, bushings keepers and such.That way if someone drops something in their orange shag carpet they don't have to hound you for a replacement

The safety disclaimer states "Do not operate with an input pressure of more than 100 pounds per square inch or less than 85 pounds per square inch to the compressor or explosion and injury will result."

Page 3 indicates "For best performance it requires an 85 psi feed from a shop compressor (not supplied) to the nipple on top of the unit."

I assume based on other discussion on the forum that it is only inefficient to use ambient instead of a shop compressor, and not actually unsafe?

I also see this on Page 4 "Do NOT run the ShoeBox without a pressure feed. Doing so will cause the system to shut off at approximately 6,000 psi instead of approximately 4,500 psi." So it sounds like the pre-compressor is truly required?