Thread: Thoughts on aftermarket things for the SB

Hybrid View

Thoughts on aftermarket things for the SB

Couple of questions that have come to mind and I thought the topic of how the shoebox works and what to buy to make mine work better was worth discussion.

1: What are the safety concerns with the hoses one might use with their shoebox?

Has anyone noticed pressure spikes with their compressor? What else besides heat and long term (as in the 20+ hours to fill a scuba tank) pressure that a hose might need to withstand should we be thinking about?

I am thinking of suggesting 1/4 inch threading instead of 1/8 threading for the output port on these. I would think good quality hose is more likely to come in 1/4 inch threading and so this would alleviate the need for a fitting. I am predicting that alot of you will blow out 1/8 threaded hose that you have around and then step up to 1/4 stuff. Or just buy the fitting and get 1/4 stuff to start. Maybe there is some great 1/8 stuff out there and I just need to look. Comments? Thoughts?

Anyway will be looking to see what Tuna comes out with. I for one have a stop to make at a hose shop on Tuesday.

2. Tom already suggested that someone is likely to start selling different cogs and belt drive instead of the chain drive. I have this on my list of things to try with my compressor but if someone gets there before me please post up. I wonder what the increase in efficiency would stand to be?

3. Fancy shut off switch anyone? Expensive yes but accurate safer and fancy. What more could you ask for? Don't say cheap or I will curse you with dropping your shoebox on your toe (it already is awesome for the money).

Other ideas of what to add and how you would improve your SB?

1/8" fittings are used throughout paintball and are very reliable and not something to worry about. The smaller the fitting is, the better it can withstand high pressure so I would always choose a smaller fitting over a larger.

We have a belt drive in testing that is a lot quieter.

Fancy shut off is a great idea. You just need to spend the money for a rated one.

Heat is the biggest enemy and hurts the o-rings. It doesn't seem to get to the hoses.

AGD

Belt Drive? Gates Polychain

Gates makes their Polychain Carbon GT synchronous belts to be direct replacements for roller chain. They're tougher and lighter than chain IMHO. Typically, you'll even realize an energy savings over time.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...ation_id=11347

My day job involves rotating equipment maintenance and reliability. If I could be if any assistance, please contact me. My hobby is airguns more than paintball but I think the support equipment is identical.

I can hardly wait to get my Shoebox!!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by haywire1
    Gates makes their Polychain Carbon GT synchronous belts to be direct replacements for roller chain. They're tougher and lighter than chain IMHO. Typically, you'll even realize an energy savings over time.

My day job involves rotating equipment maintenance and reliability. If I could be if any assistance, please contact me. My hobby is airguns more than paintball but I think the support equipment is identical.

Thanks!
    do you know which model belt and size ?? i would like a set .

thanks

randy

I have rated ss hoses and QD's on mine instead of the hard lines. They are holding up well so far. I have filled 3 scuba tanks and numerous 68/4500s.

"I'm not happy unless you're not happy"

We need a cover with a hinged door. How many are actually running the SB with the cover on and removing it to grease every 4 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by haywire1

Thanks!
    The energy savings for Polychain is vs. v-belts if I'm not mistaken. Pretty hard to beat roller chain for transfer of energy.

Would be cute little belts in there though

Quote Originally Posted by Voltar1

Would be cute little belts in there though
    LOL ya cute AND quite till they brake. Serpentine, Poly or V it will be LOTS more quite for sure but there is lots of torque and force to push at 4000+psi. Slip or break. Like you said hard to beat roller chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer
    LOL ya cute AND quite till they brake. Serpentine, Poly or V it will be LOTS more quite for sure but there is lots of torque and force to push at 4000+psi. Slip or break. Like you said hard to beat roller chain.
    Belts do not like shock loading and so the fibers will break . Chain has my vote.