Thread: Thoughts on aftermarket things for the SB

Thoughts on aftermarket things for the SB

Couple of questions that have come to mind and I thought the topic of how the shoebox works and what to buy to make mine work better was worth discussion.

1: What are the safety concerns with the hoses one might use with their shoebox?

Has anyone noticed pressure spikes with their compressor? What else besides heat and long term (as in the 20+ hours to fill a scuba tank) pressure that a hose might need to withstand should we be thinking about?

I am thinking of suggesting 1/4 inch threading instead of 1/8 threading for the output port on these. I would think good quality hose is more likely to come in 1/4 inch threading and so this would alleviate the need for a fitting. I am predicting that alot of you will blow out 1/8 threaded hose that you have around and then step up to 1/4 stuff. Or just buy the fitting and get 1/4 stuff to start. Maybe there is some great 1/8 stuff out there and I just need to look. Comments? Thoughts?

Anyway will be looking to see what Tuna comes out with. I for one have a stop to make at a hose shop on Tuesday.

2. Tom already suggested that someone is likely to start selling different cogs and belt drive instead of the chain drive. I have this on my list of things to try with my compressor but if someone gets there before me please post up. I wonder what the increase in efficiency would stand to be?

3. Fancy shut off switch anyone? Expensive yes but accurate safer and fancy. What more could you ask for? Don't say cheap or I will curse you with dropping your shoebox on your toe (it already is awesome for the money).

Other ideas of what to add and how you would improve your SB?

1/8" fittings are used throughout paintball and are very reliable and not something to worry about. The smaller the fitting is, the better it can withstand high pressure so I would always choose a smaller fitting over a larger.

We have a belt drive in testing that is a lot quieter.

Fancy shut off is a great idea. You just need to spend the money for a rated one.

Heat is the biggest enemy and hurts the o-rings. It doesn't seem to get to the hoses.

AGD

Belt Drive? Gates Polychain

Gates makes their Polychain Carbon GT synchronous belts to be direct replacements for roller chain. They're tougher and lighter than chain IMHO. Typically, you'll even realize an energy savings over time.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...ation_id=11347

My day job involves rotating equipment maintenance and reliability. If I could be if any assistance, please contact me. My hobby is airguns more than paintball but I think the support equipment is identical.

I can hardly wait to get my Shoebox!!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by haywire1
    Gates makes their Polychain Carbon GT synchronous belts to be direct replacements for roller chain. They're tougher and lighter than chain IMHO. Typically, you'll even realize an energy savings over time.

My day job involves rotating equipment maintenance and reliability. If I could be if any assistance, please contact me. My hobby is airguns more than paintball but I think the support equipment is identical.

Thanks!
    do you know which model belt and size ?? i would like a set .

thanks

randy

I have rated ss hoses and QD's on mine instead of the hard lines. They are holding up well so far. I have filled 3 scuba tanks and numerous 68/4500s.

"I'm not happy unless you're not happy"

We need a cover with a hinged door. How many are actually running the SB with the cover on and removing it to grease every 4 hours?

I dont use the cover. A small fan blowing on it will ensure it stays cool. I dont really see any temps to worry about anyway. A Non issue.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

My lawyer wants me to tell you that running it without the cover can cause injury or even death.

Tom

aftermarket clear cover?

then you have to put LED lights on it like a gammer PC.

what about performance upgrades like a faster revving motor and a cooling system? this would probably have to be done on toms end, maybe two versions of the shoebox, the standard one you have now, and maybe a "high end" one with more power for faster fills? no one wants to buy a 400 dollar compressor just to put 200 more into it with a high performance motor, but a 500 dollar compressor with high performance motor might work? or 600 with belts, cooling fans and high performance motor?

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
    aftermarket clear cover?

then you have to put LED lights on it like a gammer PC.

what about performance upgrades like a faster revving motor and a cooling system? this would probably have to be done on toms end, maybe two versions of the shoebox, the standard one you have now, and maybe a "high end" one with more power for faster fills? no one wants to buy a 400 dollar compressor just to put 200 more into it with a high performance motor, but a 500 dollar compressor with high performance motor might work? or 600 with belts, cooling fans and high performance motor?

Really do you know what the performace is of the STANDARD one you have now is.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer

BELLS AND WHISTLES, DAMN YOU ....WE WANT BELLS AND WHISTLES!!!!

i wanna flash fill my tank

im just saying you could have the best of both worlds, the cheaper product to get it out there, and a performance version for the hard core guys. tom said there were tons of (expensive) things he'd like to add, and if you can't think of any more, i have some ideas, it would be interesting to see just how fast you can get these suckers to run with some tweaks.

im just saying you could have the best of both worlds, the cheaper product to get it out there, and a performance version for the hard core guys. tom said there were tons of (expensive) things he'd like to add, and if you can't think of any more, i have some ideas, it would be interesting to see just how fast you can get these suckers to run with some tweaks.
    I don't think a hot rod motor would help with this compressor. Sure it would up the output,but for how long? Faster is not always better. Faster= more heat,premature wear etc.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary H.
    I don't think a hot rod motor would help with this compressor. Sure it would up the output,but for how long? Faster is not always better. Faster= more heat,premature wear etc.
    Gary
    indeed, thats why i suggested a high performance set of parts, including probably bushings, possibly heat sinks for the pistons ... there are a lot of ways you could squeeze faster fills out of this thing if you want to pay 250+ more for it. some poeple might ... idk.

indeed, thats why i suggested a high performance set of parts, including probably bushings, possibly heat sinks for the pistons ... there are a lot of ways you could squeeze faster fills out of this thing if you want to pay 250+ more for it. some poeple might ... idk.

So let me ask you this. Considering what it was designed to do and who the target market is what would you consider FASTER fill times. Lets just say a 70/4500 from DEAD EMPTY. No one is filling from completely empty are they?

Would 4 hours be OK? Would 3 be better. Would 2 1/2 make you say wow. What if it was UNDER 2 hours?

You want it quiet running, faster running, faster fills? Inexpensive compared to a hand pump the air rifle guys are using. A nice full fill compared to a field flash fill. What is the target market?

I will say this. The way it is now this thing is a sleeper and under rated. You have one do some Punkworks with it.

How about a handle

How about a handle for carrying and rack to set the tank on for filling. The ballancs is real good.Dosn't vibrate much to be a ploblem.[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

[QUOTE=Jongyver]How about a handle for carrying and rack to set the tank on for filling. The balance is real good. Doesn't vibrate much to be a problem./QUOTE]

Very nice setup. Could you please show a few more details?

TIA,

Carl

I don't have a Shoebox yet (decided to wait to a later run) so I can't speak from experience on the fasteners holding the cover on. However, I would think some kind of quick-release pin setup would be in order since greasing is recommended so often. Considering that it is recommended to run with the cover on the unit, the convenience of the quickest possible removal of the cover might entice some people to actually run it as recommended.

Shoe Box

How is it that anyone complains about a gift from TOM why dont you go out and spend 4500.00 for a compressor you need a pickup to move this compressor is underrated and works great as it is sent

Quote Originally Posted by GRAYGHOST
    How is it that anyone complains about a gift from TOM why dont you go out and spend 4500.00 for a compressor you need a pickup to move this compressor is underrated and works great as it is sent
    Its not complaining. Its about different ideas and refinements. We talked about a handle and some of the other things mentioned here already. The price started getting to high so.......

There will be other refinements along the way for sure though.

So let me ask you this. Considering what it was designed to do and who the target market is what would you consider FASTER fill times. Lets just say a 70/4500 from DEAD EMPTY. No one is filling from completely empty are they?

Would 4 hours be OK? Would 3 be better. Would 2 1/2 make you say wow. What if it was UNDER 2 hours?

You want it quiet running, faster running, faster fills? Inexpensive compared to a hand pump the air rifle guys are using. A nice full fill compared to a field flash fill. What is the target market?

I will say this. The way it is now this thing is a sleeper and under rated. You have one do some Punkworks with it.
    i think its amazing piece of equipment. but why leave it at that? better, higher, faster, right? you guys were asking for upgrade ideas ...

Quote Originally Posted by haywire1

Thanks!
    The energy savings for Polychain is vs. v-belts if I'm not mistaken. Pretty hard to beat roller chain for transfer of energy.

Would be cute little belts in there though

Quote Originally Posted by Voltar1

Would be cute little belts in there though
    LOL ya cute AND quite till they brake. Serpentine, Poly or V it will be LOTS more quite for sure but there is lots of torque and force to push at 4000+psi. Slip or break. Like you said hard to beat roller chain.

i think its amazing piece of equipment. but why leave it at that? better, higher, faster, right? you guys were asking for upgrade ideas ...
    LOL sorry the OP was asking. We alrerady know what they are. You dodged my 2nd and 4th statements in your quote of me. Better, yes. Higher = faster. Test this thing out. watch your temps and let me know when you melt some rings.

Ups and after market is wide open. Out of the box[ ] the ShoeBox is a sleeper you just aint done enough testing yet to see it.

There really is only two ways to drop the fill time. Its just a matter of how the current build will handle one or both of those two things. After that you have to mod the build to handle it. Ching ching. Or you hit the wall and it is what it is for what it is for what the retail is.

LOL ya cute AND quite till they brake. Serpentine, Poly or V it will be LOTS more quite for sure but there is lots of torque and force to push at 4000+psi. Slip or break. Like you said hard to beat roller chain.
    Belts do not like shock loading and so the fibers will break . Chain has my vote.

From my perspective if I were in the market for one the single thing that could be improved to make me buy this thing would be if it self lubricated.

I don't mind lubing my mag before a day of play, because I just put a couple drops of oil in the ASA before I play and I'm done. I don't ever think about oiling it mid-day or between rounds. That would get really annoying.

I think I'd want to be able to go at least 24 hours without having to reapply grease. Greasing before I start it is OK, but if I'm filling a scuba I'd want to be able to run the thing all day until it was done and not have to think about it again until the next fill at least.

If I could just fill an oil reservoir once a month and let it self lubricate like a gas engine, even better. I'm sure there's a million reasons for it not working like that, but I'm just throwing it out there as an average consumer.

The shoebox looks like it could be a really amazing product for the industry, and it's only a V1.0 product. I have no doubt we'll only see it improve.