Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Shuts off at 1800psi

  1. #1

    Shuts off at 1800psi

    Wednesday night I filled a tank (my first tank) to 3200 before turning it off to going to bed.

    Last night I tried to fill a different bottle and it would only fill to about 1800psi before shutting off. Not 100% sure on the presser, all I have is the tank gauge to go by. I did put the first bottle back on and it would only run for a min before tripping the shut of switch.

    After the problem started I did relube the air pistons but it didnít help.

    Do I get a prize for being the first one to break a shoebox?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    #1 Buck Adams fan
    Posts
    7,563
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINTHEY
    Wednesday night I filled a tank (my first tank) to 3200 before turning it off to going to bed.

    Last night I tried to fill a different bottle and it would only fill to about 1800psi before shutting off. Not 100% sure on the presser, all I have is the tank gauge to go by. I did put the first bottle back on and it would only run for a min before tripping the shut of switch.

    After the problem started I did relube the air pistons but it didnít help.

    Do I get a prize for being the first one to break a shoebox?

    Sorry buddy, I already got that prize I had this issue also - But, in the meanwhile I got a good education. The spring is probably clipped too short. Adjust the locking collar AWAY from the cylinders so there is more tension on the spring. Then, watch the tank closely to make sure you dont go over 4500 psi. If it still doesnt go up to 4500, then contact TK about getting a replacement spring. If it goes over, re-adjust the collar by moving it a bit closer to the cylinders.


    "I'm not happy unless you're not happy"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,948
    NO its not the spring! Please don't mess with it. Its very clear when it pumps up to 1800-2000 psi that the lower piston has stopped pumping.

    This is almost always caused by the lower piston back-check leaking. It is usually a piece of crap caught in the oring. First thing is hook up the feed compressor and remove your fill tank so you have air escaping while pumping. Let it run for a minute or two and see if you can blow the stuff out of the back-check.

    If that doesn't work then you will need to remove the lower cylinder, unscrew the fitting on the end and inspect the back check valve assembly. If it comes to that come back here before you do for specific instructions.

    AGD

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    offshore
    Posts
    7,183
    I am under the impression that the spring/collar is ONLY for the High pressure shut-off and should not ever need to be adjusted...
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

  5. #5
    Neat!!! So if the lower piston back-check valve fails, the upper pistons presser builds resistance till the shutoff is tripped. What happens if the upper piston back-check valve fails? Will it blow up my input hose?

    Iíll try to clear it tonight. If its trash, itís most likely a bit of white tape I used to put the input airline together.

    Donít be surprised if you donít hear from me over the weekend.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    #1 Buck Adams fan
    Posts
    7,563
    Ah my bad. When the back check fubar'd on mine, it kept pumping and didnt turn off. It just wouldnt go any higher. When it would fill it would only go up to 3900 and shut off.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    New Hampton,NY
    Posts
    31
    I had the same problem the on/off sw would catch on the cover I took the cover off and it worked great. so I just enlarged the slot in the cover no more problem
    LP AutoCocker
    Chromed Out AutoMag

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,948
    If the upper back-check fails it pumps REALLY SLOWLY to the point it just looks like its not pumping at all. If you left it on for 24 hours it might eventually pump up but you will hopefully be aware of the problem by then.

    AGD

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    NO its not the spring! Please don't mess with it. Its very clear when it pumps up to 1800-2000 psi that the lower piston has stopped pumping.

    This is almost always caused by the lower piston back-check leaking. It is usually a piece of crap caught in the oring. First thing is hook up the feed compressor and remove your fill tank so you have air escaping while pumping. Let it run for a minute or two and see if you can blow the stuff out of the back-check.

    If that doesn't work then you will need to remove the lower cylinder, unscrew the fitting on the end and inspect the back check valve assembly. If it comes to that come back here before you do for specific instructions.

    AGD
    Ok I did as you posted, let it run for a good 5min and it worked. Topped of my tank to 4300ish.

    Thanks a ton.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    NO its not the spring! Please don't mess with it. Its very clear when it pumps up to 1800-2000 psi that the lower piston has stopped pumping.

    This is almost always caused by the lower piston back-check leaking. It is usually a piece of crap caught in the oring. First thing is hook up the feed compressor and remove your fill tank so you have air escaping while pumping. Let it run for a minute or two and see if you can blow the stuff out of the back-check.

    If that doesn't work then you will need to remove the lower cylinder, unscrew the fitting on the end and inspect the back check valve assembly. If it comes to that come back here before you do for specific instructions.

    AGD
    I appear to be having this issue. It will pump up to 1800psi but never any more and it does not shut off. I have tried running it for 15 minutes with no tank and I have also tried back feeding the system with pressure, still nothing above 1800. To verify the pressure I am using a fitting connected to a glycerin filled 5000psi gauge.

    My question is if the issue is the back check valve how do I get the fitting off to clean it? I have had the lower tube removed but a strap wrench does not appear to be enough to help unscrew the fitting.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5,948
    When it stops around 2k psi its always the lower back check valve or a completely cooked oring in the lower cylinder. Take the lower cylinder out, you will need to clamp it in something and remove and clean the back check.

    Tom

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the Box shop
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    I appear to be having this issue. It will pump up to 1800psi but never any more and it does not shut off. I have tried running it for 15 minutes with no tank and I have also tried back feeding the system with pressure, still nothing above 1800. To verify the pressure I am using a fitting connected to a glycerin filled 5000psi gauge.

    My question is if the issue is the back check valve how do I get the fitting off to clean it? I have had the lower tube removed but a strap wrench does not appear to be enough to help unscrew the fitting.
    You will need to put it in a padded vise to remove the fitting but first pump it up to pressure.
    Unplug it. Move the crank by hand to the far back stroke, pistons out of the cylinder to the right.
    If it is an inside ring you will hear or feel it leaking from the right end of the cylinder. If so remove the allen screw from the cylinder and replace the rings and try again. See sticky thread for the exploded view. If you remove the allen screw DONT TORQUE it back in. Just finger tight.

    I suspect an inside ring or it should shut off but I have been wrong before. If not you will have to remove the fitting to get to the back check. Let us know.
    Last edited by ShoeBox Tech; 09-29-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •