Thread: Shoebox - Leaky Bleed Hole

Hybrid View

Shoebox - Leaky Bleed Hole

Looks like unit 041 is DOA or I'm doing something wrong (I really hope I'm doing something wrong).

First time use, received it today from UPS. Plugged in my trusty glycerin gauge that was dead heading a Micro bore 10,000 psi hose to test the shut off pressure and needle never moved... Heard a hiss, rechecked my hose connections, nope those are good. removed cover of shoebox and placed my finger over small hole that was venting air... looks like the bleed off hole, strange, the bleed screw is tight.

I removed bleed screw and peered inside... looks like the bleed hole was drilled to far back and is in the tapered seat area of the bleed screw. I used a small o-ring on the tip of the bleed screw to try and seal off the leak, that didn't work. It was still leaking. The bleed screw felt like it bottomed out before the o-ring could get tight, added another o-ring. That stopped the leak and the shoebox start to pump and the gauge needle started to climb, until I got to 400psi where it started to leak again.
    Last edited by Looper; 07-09-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    looks like the bleed off hole, strange, the bleed screw is tight.

Just to confirm, when you say tight you mean unscrewed all the way against the button head screw you installed per the manual. The vent needs to be unscrewed against the button head screw to fill.

You dont need orings on the vent screw. Dont file down the vent screw.

Don't file anything! First thing to try is taking your HP tank OUTPUT at about 4-800 psi and feeding it back into the compressor through the output port.

Your basically going to pressurize the air block and try and seat the oring. Make sure the vent rod is screwed all the way out.

If it was machined incorrectly it would never have made it out of the shop. We test each compressor multiple times to full pressure. Try the back pressure trick first.

AGD

everything is ok... please disregard

Ok, I'm an idiot... the screw needs to be loose not tight... (face palm)

Believe it or not I did read the instructions before I flipped the switch but I never picked up on the process of loose was "air tight".

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    everything is ok... please disregard

Ok, I'm an idiot... the screw needs to be loose not tight... (face palm)

Its ok, LOL, Nice face palm. You should see the idiot things we do in the shop.

Just to confirm so everybody learns. The open circle icon on the bleed to the right is to vent.[screw it in till it vents] After the fill screw it in just till it vents.

The closed circle icon to the left is to fill. Unscrew the vent to the left untill it stops on the stop screw you had to install.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoeBox Tech
    Its ok, LOL, Nice face palm. You should see the idiot things we do in the shop.
    From personal experience I can say that if Looper is an idiot then there is great certainty that Lindsay Lohan will be the next poster child for The American Judicial Cooperation Foundation...
    Last edited by Forest_ptp; 07-10-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Nice to see I wasn't the only person to do this. ;-)
    To be an AGD supporter, one cannot be an AGD bigot. -Nero

Truth is a complex thing. One must govern by simplicity. -M. Mercier, special counsel to his Majesty for domestic matters. The Brotherhood of the Wolf

"You can't outrun Death forever, but you can make the bastard work for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Forest_ptp
    From personal experience I can say that if Looper is an idiot then there is great certainty that Lindsay Lohan will be the next poster child for The American Judicial Cooperation Foundation...
    Forest, Thanks for the vote of confidence... I need to stop by and say hello, the damn office has me running ragged and things don't appear to be letting up...

Have you seen the shoebox up close yet? If not I'll bring mine by so you can check it out. Topped off three 70ci tanks last night from about 2000psi to done... Once I got over the self induced brain cramp.