Thread: Lube question

Lube question

I know you need white lithium grease to lube the shoebox, but my question is i have a can of white lithium grease spray that i have. will that work or do i need to get in in the paste form?

That will work it just makes a mess.

Tom

Found a tube of KleenFlo white grease. It is a Lithium based grease. Will this do the job Tom?

Walter....

Yes that should work.

Tom

can (or should?) you use white lithium grease to lube the chains? i have used it on motor cycle chains without problems but wondered about the shoebox.

no problem with lithium grease on the chains.

Tom

thanks for the quick reply but i have a new question. i decided to check the label on the spray can of white lithium grease(Blaster brand) to see the ingredients. -liquefied petroleum gas, mineral oil, lithium thickener, light distillate, heptane, zinc oxide( prevents sunburn??). at least several of these are flammable. i suppose as long as the unit is cool and stays cool, the spray is OK, but i think i will use the paste instead( once i find it). thanks for the tip about checking the label. the the big letters on the front of the can certainly only tell part of the story!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jdollar
    thanks for the quick reply but i have a new question. i decided to check the label on the spray can of white lithium grease(Blaster brand) to see the ingredients. -liquefied petroleum gas, mineral oil, lithium thickener, light distillate, heptane, zinc oxide( prevents sunburn??). at least several of these are flammable. i suppose as long as the unit is cool and stays cool, the spray is OK, but i think i will use the paste instead( once i find it). thanks for the tip about checking the label. the the big letters on the front of the can certainly only tell part of the story!!!!!!!

The flammable ingredients are in the propellant. You'll probably end up with trace amounts on any part you spray but most of it will evaporate.

You can find lithium grease at Lowes or Home Depot. It's about 3 bucks for a 5-6oz tube. Just check out the hardware section, you'll usually find it next to things like WD-40, oils and multi-purpose grease.

Well now we know, don't try and use spray grease!

Thanks for the info.

Tom