Thread: Seized piston

Hybrid View

Seized piston

The shoebox blew a fuse tonight as soon as turned it on.

I tried moving the crank arm by hand and could not.

A bit of disassembly later, and I've found the upper piston is locked up tight and I can not get it to budge.

I've been filling a my 44cf tank, lubing after every +/- 4 hours of run time. I've got about 12-16 hours of time on the compressor.

Was running fine when I shut down last evening.

Take it apart and see if the piston is seized in the aluminum cylinder or if its locked on to one of the plastic tubes. You will have to unscrew the nut on the end of the piston with the piston still in it.

Tom

Ouch - I'm here to report the same thing.

I can't hand turn it. I've been using the White Lithium grease every 2 hrs as well. (Stopping it manually, lubing the piston rods and restarting)

I've successfully filled 5ea 68/4500 over the weeks, and bam. Blew a fuse. Ran out bought 3 more, and BAM blew another. Then tried to crank it by hand, and it wont turn. I can get around 1/4" movement using a wrench and turning, but that's it.

Per the youtube instructions - I can not remove my Upper Cyclinder. I have removed the fittings and soft steel line. Then the C-Clip. The bracket freely spins, with the cyclinder tube as Im trying to pull it out. But it's stuck and not budging. Like it is locked up in the fully extended position. It is like when you degas it and it goes to the home - open position, like it melted there.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob

Editing for PICS!
    HELP!

Last edited by PB_RoB; 08-16-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Ok

here we go.

First see the sticky exploded view and ALL the other stickies in this forum.

UNPLUG the ShoeBox from power supply.

Do not loosen the 4 bolts holding the air block or the bearing support bracket. [yet]

1. remove connecting rod #53. Then try and turn the crank shaft. It will turn freely or should.
    If it doesnt STOP and report here.

2. Unscrew the air line fittings from both cylinders. The outside nut on the fitting. Dont unscrew the fitting from the air block.

3. Remove the snap ring #10 from both cylinders.

4. Now push the cylinders to the left to slide them out. They ride on 2 orings and require a SLIGHT amount of pressure to push out.

Just saw your edit Rob. Can you remove either cylinder?

Quote Originally Posted by ShoeBox Tech
    Just saw your edit Rob. Can you remove either cylinder?

Yes - and edited again with pic... bottom free no problem.

output pressure at 85 psi on the feeder compressor with water trap.... by the way.