Thread: Fuse Holder Problem

Fuse Holder Problem

ShoeBox Owners,

One of our test units and two other units in the field have been blowing fuses without any other issues. We have tracked the problem back to the spade connector on the fuse holder. The spade is wavy to promote contact but when it heats up, it wants to go back to flat and looses its connection with the connector on the wire.

When your running at above 3000 psi, turn off the compressor, unplug, then remove the cover and check to see if the connectors on the fuse holder are hot. If so let me know here. For good measure, if you have a soldering iron you can solder these connections and have no further issues.

Thanks,

Tom

My little Infrared thermometer showed 169d f at 3200psi last night when I shot it down.

That sounds pretty hot. Was it hotter than the other connections? If so then you should solder the fuse connections.

thanks for the info

Tom

The whole left side of my fuse holder melted and the wire to the switch burned up. I replaced everything and it seems like it is ok now. The contact on the holder has many little spots on it, possibly from arcing. I will see if I can get a temp reading on it now.

"I'm not happy unless you're not happy"

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    That sounds pretty hot. Was it hotter than the other connections? If so then you should solder the fuse connections.

thanks for the info

Tom
    10-4
    The left side seems hotter than the right. Itís just a cheap point and shoot thermometer so I couldnít tell.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    The whole left side of my fuse holder melted and the wire to the switch burned up. I replaced everything and it seems like it is ok now. The contact on the holder has many little spots on it, possibly from arcing. I will see if I can get a temp reading on it now.
    What input pressure were you running when it failed?

Quote Originally Posted by ShoeBox Tech
    What input pressure were you running when it failed?
    Set it @ 90, and it was creeping up to 125... which it was at when it blew 2 fuses, but it was right on 90 when the fuse holder goopified

my fuse blew tonight after about 4 min of running maybe got 100psi in bottle. Also what is the replacement for the fuse it burnt up good so i cant read it
    Last edited by PBChappy; 09-09-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Replace it with a 8-10 amp fuse. Make sure you can crank the pistons in and out by hand before you fire it up again. If they are too hard, take apart the upper cylinder and check the sleeve per instructions in the other post.

Tom

This stuff is why I decided to wait for a production model; big thanks to Tom for making 'em and all you guys for field-testing these badboys!

Quote Originally Posted by PBChappy
    my fuse blew tonight after about 4 min of running maybe got 100psi in bottle. Also what is the replacement for the fuse it burnt up good so i cant read it
    Has it been working fine till now? If so about how many hours or fills are logged?

Make sure the holder itself didn't get damaged.

Check this.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253102

have about 45-50 hours on it, looking at it closer the white wire from the fuse to the power switch has burn marks on it

solder that connection before you fire it back up.

Tom

well just got back from the ER while trying to solder my connection my soldering iron shorted in the grip and as my wife watched i did a little dance 120v hurt and hurts lots no more cheap chinaese tools for me. will try again when i get a good soldering iron

Oooouch!

A decent soldering station isn't that much money, and makes getting a good solder joint a whole lot easier.

Take a look at weller or hakko. Yes hakko is Chinese, but they are not the super cheap Chinese tools you've been used to. Contrary to popular belief the Chinese can make good tools, but they cost almost as much as the western built stuff.

I generally use a butane soldering iron, no cords for me.

don't think i would want to try to put a butane flame inside the tight space around the fuse holder- almost certain to fry something and probably ruin everything in that area. for sure you will cook the finish off the shoebox housing in the back and melt the insulation on the cut off switch wires. from reading your 2 post, it seems you don't own a shoebox, so i am guessing you have no idea what the physical dimensions of the area in question is like.
    Last edited by jdollar; 09-13-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdollar
    don't think i would want to try to put a butane flame inside the tight space around the fuse holder- almost certain to fry something and probably ruin everything in that area. for sure you will cook the finish off the shoebox housing in the back and melt the insulation on the cut off switch wires. from reading your 2 post, it seems you don't own a shoebox, so i am guessing you have no idea what the physical dimensions of the area in question is like.
    I believe he said "iron"...not "torch". DOH!
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Question

a butane soldering iron doesn't have a flame? i can't imagine how it would melt the soldering wire if there is no flame involved.

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdollar
    a butane soldering iron doesn't have a flame? i can't imagine how it would melt the soldering wire if there is no flame involved.
    you just don't see the flame. Kinda like your car. There are multiple explosions per seconds, but no visible flame.