Thread: 1000 Rpm motor

1000 Rpm motor

Hello could a 1000 rpm motor be used and remove the jack shaft fore a 1 chain system ?

if so what hp would be needed an what shaft length and buy chance what would the gears size need to be ?

thanks

randy

That would be prohibitively expensive.

Base speeds are multiples of 60, because we get 60 Hz AC current.

Now, if I can draw parallels from industrial motors (which I work with),

Base speeds is called "2 pole" which gives you 3600 RPM

Then you have "4 pole" which gives you 1800 RPM

6Pole = 1200
    8Pole = 900

Thing is, as you add more poles your price and size tends to go up significantly.

Then to get 1000 RPM, you'd have a 6 pole motor + a converter to change your frequency from 60 Hz to 50 Hz.

That doesn't even touch the required torque values.

So back to the beginning: It's far more cost effective to run a faster motor with a reduction system of some sort.

There are motors in the range of 1000 rpm but all the ones I found required external cooling. The compressor pistons run at about 200 rpm so you have to gear it down to that. The original proto in the video is running with a 1k motor and a single chain.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by oldironaz
    Hello could a 1000 rpm motor be used and remove the jack shaft fore a 1 chain system ?

if so what hp would be needed an what shaft length and buy chance what would the gears size need to be ?

thanks

randy
    would a universal blower fan motor work ??? 1080rpm 115v 1/3 hp

Yes that is what I was using but it needs an external fan. Those are called "air over" motors because they rely on the fan they are driving to cool the motor. If you use a belt drive it will get very quiet.

Tom