Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Brothers Grimm are back under a new Alias: GOG paintball

Quote Originally Posted by Coralis
    God wouldn't be "karmic" if someone else were able to get the SP patents and then sue these guys for violating the patents

and so it begins again...

Talking World Cup Today

GOG Booth:

World Cup Today 2

GI Milsim .50 cal test booth.
    1st pic is the guy running it.

People were shooting each other with .50 cal just to see how bad it hurt compared to .68.

Yeah I know

I'm impressed with the lack of customers

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
    I'm impressed with the lack of customers
    There was a line to shoot the .50 cal Luxe though.
    I didnt, just watched the crazy kids shoot each other at abot 20 feet,

Exclamation

I wonder if the Gardners will have to pay royalties on their electronic markers
    now that a bank owns the infamous electronic patents ?
    They dont offer any mechanical markers at either place, GOG Paintball or GI Sportz.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home
    I wonder if the Gardners will have to pay royalties on their electronic markers
    now that a bank owns the infamous electronic patents ?
    They dont offer any mechanical markers at either place, GOG Paintball or GI Sportz.

They might have bought themselves back.

If G.I. Milsim was still liquid they could have taken money out of that company and used it to buy up the Smart Parts assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzo
    Did anyone else see that their model happens to be wearing sleeves that say "I'd insult you but your not smart enough to notice"?

Guess what- I noticed
    Last edited by AO Moderation Team; 10-24-2010 at 02:09 AM. Reason: No cussing. Activating the filter[******] is the same as swearing If you see you did please edit and fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by mostpeople
    This coming from a guy who was asking about buying a new AKA marker...

And to be honest, I don't recall Empire/Halo/DXS lying to get patents and then completely stopping the free progress of paintball marker technology with C&D's. I do however remember SMART PARTS/Gardner bros. doing that to everyone else though.

so FSP and FGP!!
    OK...I tried to stay out but I phail...

Yes, I'm buying a Viking. Not because I hate SP though. I've never owned one and YouTubing the Viking makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Every one [save one that was having trouble with his] looks, sounds and acts like it's pure shecks. I will buy and try any marker once...and this one is one I haven't had the pleasure of owning yet. I shot one YEARS ago, so long ago in fact, I can't really remember the experience.

As to the second paragraph, I'll just say that I stole this from another forum because it's exactly what I mean and said earlier:

I don't see any one complaining about Dye. When Dye aquired the rights to the Matrix, Dye didn't even give manufactures the option to pay royalties on parts manufactured for the Matrix. They sent out immediate cease and desist orders to many companies. The reason they did this is, because they did not want to repair markers with other companies bolt systems in them and instead of just saying the warranty was void they drove these other companies out of business....and here's an article to back that up: http://www.pblegion.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=19

So while everyone's killing each other to put a Dye UL frame on their ___________, using a Rotor or sporting their Jerseys.......congratulations...you are a supporting member of another "SP" type company and have NO reason to complain about SP [alone].

NOW I'm done. Good night.

well, i happen to be of the opinion that DYE sucks, too. so theres that...

Quote Originally Posted by druid
    OK...I tried to stay out but I phail...

Yes, I'm buying a Viking. Not because I hate SP though. I've never owned one and YouTubing the Viking makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Every one [save one that was having trouble with his] looks, sounds and acts like it's pure shecks. I will buy and try any marker once...and this one is one I haven't had the pleasure of owning yet. I shot one YEARS ago, so long ago in fact, I can't really remember the experience.

As to the second paragraph, I'll just say that I stole this from another forum because it's exactly what I mean and said earlier:

I don't see any one complaining about Dye. When Dye aquired the rights to the Matrix, Dye didn't even give manufactures the option to pay royalties on parts manufactured for the Matrix. They sent out immediate cease and desist orders to many companies. The reason they did this is, because they did not want to repair markers with other companies bolt systems in them and instead of just saying the warranty was void they drove these other companies out of business....and here's an article to back that up: http://www.pblegion.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=19

So while everyone's killing each other to put a Dye UL frame on their ___________, using a Rotor or sporting their Jerseys.......congratulations...you are a supporting member of another "SP" type company and have NO reason to complain about SP [alone].

NOW I'm done. Good night.

So basically you're equating DYEs decision to enforce the patent that they'd bought (no false claims) to an extremely specific marker design they'd bought (no sweeping statements) for a brief period of time (a handful of months between 2003 and 2004) to flush out the fairly common control issues in aftermarket parts and bodies from two specific companies?

By 2004 there were DYE-approved 3rd party accessories, and in 05/06 several companies had private label guns run up or made customshop models... That article seems pretty neutral except for Drew Nelsons comments, which don't have much value seeing as he was the one producing that parts that were causing all the problems, and is probably fairly bitter about the whole situation.

That in no way compares to the constant broadening of a patent that goes from "specific marker design" to "marker that uses two solenoids" to "marker that uses an electronic triggering device" all the way to "marker that uses electronics". Smart Parts wasn't sending cease and desist notices because of QC issues with 3rd parties, or because people were copying a specific marker design that they own. If Matrixes are breaking, DYE loses out. If Excals and Ecockers are breaking, that in no way effects Smart Parts.

If Matrixes are breaking, DYE loses out. If Excals and Ecockers are breaking, that in no way effects Smart Parts.
    It does if ppl switch to a SP marker when their other one breaks. Makes them rich it does.

Quote Originally Posted by druid
    Nah...I call it what it is...

People sit and cry about AGD, AKA [et al] and blast SP - yet own Empire, Halo, DXS and everything from everyone who does the same BS...just in a "different venue."

...all the while, claiming people should have the "right" to do whatever they want....just so long as what 'they' [SP] wants is the same was what they [cato and crowd] wants too. If not, jump to boycott them.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

BUT...I'm done with this thread. They're back, get used to it and have your tissues ready for when you get eliminated by another $200 marker while shooting your $1,500-$2,000 X-Mag.

Night.
    I don't see how getting knocked out by a cheap marker would offend someone. Hell, someone could knock you out just by throwing a paintball at you reguardless of what marker you own. When I was a newbie and just got a minimag I knocked out guys with Angels. Not a single one of them were ever mad. In fact all those guys usually came up to kids like me and shook our hands and commented on how it was a good shot. Those were the days where it wasn't about lighting someone up or psycho dominating a market. Thats why I bought a mag was for the quality eventhough you could pick up something equivelant for half the price or less. Take my minimag for instance, in 2000 it was a 425 dollar marker.

As for the whole SP issue. I personal don't like Smart Parts. I have to many memories of being shot up by the old shoe box shockers. Which wouldn't bother me so much except that everytime the refs would check their markers they would be shooting hot. Then not only that but they would be complete a**holes about it. It just turned me off to smart parts all together. Not to mention they also had reliability issue with them as well. But I'm sure if you fast forward to present day quality you would think would be a little better. I won't buy Smart Parts because I don't like them. Not because I want boycott them or I hate what the Garner's stood for. It's capitalism at its finest. Greed turns people into animals and the worst thing about it is the law allows it.

So in conclusion AGD ROCKS!! Thats all I own as far as markers go and as long as there is automags thats all I'll ever spend money on.

I don't see how what they did is capitalism at its finest

There are plenty of capitalist ventures that are honest and succeed by providing a product that hits the markets requirements either through price, quality, service, or a combination thereof.

If anything it shows a problem with our patent law process.

Quote Originally Posted by CatoRockwell
    I don't see how what they did is capitalism at its finest There are plenty of capitalist ventures that are honest and succeed by providing a product that hits the markets requirements either through price, quality, service, or a combination thereof.

If anything it shows a problem with our patent law process.

I meant it to be sarcastic...evidently it wasn't

If SP were meant to succeed, they would. They didn't provide a quality product and instead through out BS like owning a patent for any markers with an on/off switch... I mean... really? That's as bad as when Harley-Davidson attempted to trademark the ****ty sound their 'cycles make.

Speaking of on/off switches. How could SP send a cease & desist to AGD when the emags use a pin to open and close the circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by KillerOfGiants
    If SP were meant to succeed, they would. They didn't provide a quality product and instead through out BS like owning a patent for any markers with an on/off switch... I mean... really? That's as bad as when Harley-Davidson attempted to trademark the ****ty sound their 'cycles make.

Speaking of on/off switches. How could SP send a cease & desist to AGD when the emags use a pin to open and close the circuit?
    Check out the Have Blues patent page... It's VERY open ended.

I love the Dye Rotor, I mean lets be honest its one of if not the best hopper systems out there. Prophecy is either equal, or a little lower in rank.

I'll just say this again :

Will have to amend to include a GoG somewhere...

this still going? really, who the hell cares? AGD guys like us hate these jerks. but this is getting old are we all mad at them because they tried to advance their "brand"? yep, they steped on many toes, to say the least...but thats what they do. we know this. its been beaten to death. the mods should put a cap on this crap.
    who cares if these idiots have a new gig going? don't buy from them. let it go.

Not everyone knows who is behind GOG, it is our responsibility as consumers to notify each other of these kind of developments so that no one makes the mistake of doing business with them

Additionally, it's our duty smash every head of this hydra until the Gardner Bros leave paintball forever OR repent of what they've done, if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by CatoRockwell
    OR repent of what they've done, if they can.
    I know at least a couple other members echo this; JUST MAKE BARRELS AND GRIPS.

If Smart Parts went back to making barrel kits, grips, feednecks, and "PARTS" in general as they did for so long, there'd be little room for game-playing and patent problems... Remember back when it was cool to pick up a set of Smart Parts grips? Or a barrel? Everything was well made, looked cool, and had something going for it that made you prefer it over the next guys product, and it wasn't just price. Feednecks, eye covers, snatch grips, barrels, grips, ASAs, regulators, etc were what made Smart Parts big and what kept them alive... Regardless of what influence their markers had on the game, markers are what made them hated and killed them in the long run.

I know at least a couple other members echo this; JUST MAKE BARRELS AND GRIPS.

If Smart Parts went back to making barrel kits, grips, feednecks, and "PARTS" in general as they did for so long, there'd be little room for game-playing and patent problems... Remember back when it was cool to pick up a set of Smart Parts grips? Or a barrel? Everything was well made, looked cool, and had something going for it that made you prefer it over the next guys product, and it wasn't just price.
    The problem is people are trying to patent things like flip lock feednecks and crap.

SP set too much patent trolling in motion and really stunned the innovative process for a lot of companies, some of which abandoned paintball all together and some that are just clinging on to a small loyalist community like AGD.

I'd be nice for those patents to expire and have AGD at least 'draft up' what their next-gen electro marker could be if they ever decided to make one.

Though I guess I love my mech markers too much, I don't even own anything new fangled.

You wanna screw these guys over? See that suit on the front page? I bet you dollars to donuts that they don't own that image and are using it illegaly. Find the original image and creator, notify them, and let a lawsuit END these people.

Let's see how many friends I lose with this post...

I'm actually sort of happy to see them come back. Let's be honest, the SP-1/Vibe was a great gun, espicially for the price. I like the fact that they are remaking both (even if the prices on both have gone up a good $50). At the current time, there really aren't many good sub-$200 guns in production right now. I mean, Tippmanns are good, but it's really not in the same league as a spool.

I used to hate SP... but the more I think about it, the more I see their products being pretty good. Even the Ion. I mean come on, the idea of having a gun designed so that you can upgrade the crap out of it is a really smart business plan. It means that customers will want to spend more money on upgrades and therefore the company gets more money. I GARUNTEE that most, if not all, companies have done the same or something similar.

I'm not saying that they were right to sue people out of business for patents they didn't have. And I'm not saying that I'll be buying anything from GOG anytime soon (actually, I will be getting a Freak soon), but I am saying that it's good for paintball in general for their products to be on the market. Because EVERYONE benefits; the players benefit by getting a cheap gun that will outperform anything in it's price range. And the stores benefit from the continued sales of not only their guns, but their upgrades.

Let the flaming begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmoormaster
    I mean come on, the idea of having a gun designed so that you can upgrade the crap out of it is a really smart business plan. It means that customers will want to spend more money on upgrades and therefore the company gets more money. I GARUNTEE that most, if not all, companies have done the same or something similar.
    AGD. You can upgrade virtually every component on a classic/minimag but basically end up with a different marker. I really did enjoy my SP1, though.

That's a little different though. All of those parts were made for the next gun, and were reverse compatible.

Exclamation

GI Milsim .68 cal paint.

Just in case you dont want to buy it.

I disagree, what they did was turn paintball from a bunch of cool innovative options in company, design, etc... into a industry where companies are more concerned with finding a way to screw each other than they are with actually coming up with true innovative ideas to earn business.

I don't care if a cheap electro is a good idea for the market, everything good that came from smart parts could have been done without betraying everyone, and is therefore outweighed by their bad actions. By doing business with them, we encourage their behaviors.

I for one will never purchase anything made by the gardner bros. They need to leave the industry. I will steer anyone I can away from that company. Same as I do with Walmart. If people want cheap crap they can buy cheap crap. I for one will buy higher quality produce, meat, etc... & paintball equipment from quality companies that succeed on the merits of their quality & services not on how low they can go on price.