Thread: help me supercharge a micromag

help me supercharge a micromag

I have a beautiful micromag from PTP, and really, have no use for an old semi like this, but I have had no luck selling it. Ive been thinking about turning it into something I can use, however I want to modify it very little, if not none at all. it just has the a perfect anno, is my main reason.

so to start out with a few questions:

what is a pneumag?
    would a responsive trigger be effective in my quest?
    obviously, im going to want to get lvl 10?

any other things you can think of that would point me in the right direction, would me much appreciated.

First, a pneumag, it basically uses a pneumatic solenoid to activate the sear, rather then your finger, so all your trigger fingers have to do it activate a 3 way valve which requires much less force, hence easier rates of fire.

Second, you cant just put a reactive trigger in an automag. You have to have a valve such as an RT Pro valve or an E-Mag or X-Valve, etc. They are all basically versions of the same thing. A standard minimag/automag SS valve has no reactivity at all.

Third, if you get one of those valves they commonly have lvl 10 installed, but if not, its a good investment, virtually eliminates all chops.

Im aware that I would need a diferent valve to persue this. this is the biggest reason I dont mind, because I don't have the orriginal micromag valve, its a classic.

but remember, this is in a micromag. im concerned about having to modify my body or trigger frame to make something fit.

to go with a pneumag kind of feels like the cooler/faster(electro-assist) method, but may require modifying it, or at least a different trigger frame.

The RT is the idea I like because its just so sleeper, especially because nobody around me will know what a micromag is.

Micromag bodies are build to AGD specs. They are "smaller" only in a kind of deceptive sense. The length from the back of the valve to the breech of the gun is exactly the same as every other automag.

It may have a bit less material in front of the breech compared to others, though.

As far as I know all PTP bodies accept any standard AGD valves except the Classic RT valve which is a different diameter. An X-Valve, Emag Valve, ReTrovalve or RT Pro valve will fit in it just fine.

If you want light weight go with an x-valve. You can get them new or used. If you want something cheap get an RT Pro or Retrovalve. They come up ocassionally on the BST forum here and sell for 100-150 depending on whether it has a Level 10 bolt.

You definitely want a level 10 bolt. It will come standard with an X-Valve, so factor that into your pricing decision.

If you want the most reactivity possible you're going to need a HPA tank with high pressure output. The higher the better. Some mags won't RT at anything below 1000psi input. Some will RT at 850ish. Every gun is a little different.

Also don't start with an Ultralight Trigger Kit if you want reactivity. ULTs make for a very soft trigger pull but usually don't RT very well. Some people can do it, but generally the standard RT on/off is the way to go for a bouncy trigger.

so all the reactivity hapens out of the valve? I was thinking it was piston much like a mechanical frame. this is good news to me. now then, i guess a bit more explanation of waht Im thinking about making, with a bit of your guidance already. I can basically fit this thing in a holster... im thinking about a 13/3000 tank and an cheap halo. I want it to RT as fast as possible, because its a one hopper scenario kind of gun at that point. so how do I achieve higher input pressures easily?

Ninja makes a special order 1200psi reg.
    I recently got one along with a new 90ci cf tank in a group buy.

The only other options (that I know of) would be used adjustable reg.

Quote Originally Posted by twiitch
    so all the reactivity hapens out of the valve? I was thinking it was piston much like a mechanical frame. this is good news to me. now then, i guess a bit more explanation of waht Im thinking about making, with a bit of your guidance already. I can basically fit this thing in a holster... im thinking about a 13/3000 tank and an cheap halo. I want it to RT as fast as possible, because its a one hopper scenario kind of gun at that point. so how do I achieve higher input pressures easily?

Yeah, the ninja tank is your best bet. You can call their 800 number and ask for the automag tank valve. I think it's 35 or 40 bucks for the 1200 psi valve which you could put onto any HPA tank you want. Ninja makes a 13/3000 as well. I'm sure they'll put the mag valve on it for you from the factory if you ask.

The RT effect is achieved through a combination of the regulator design and the on/off. The regulator recharges super fast allowing it to keep up with the high rates of fire required. The on/off basically is designed to take the full pre-regulated pressure straight out of the tank to reset the pin. If the pressure is high enough the pin is forced back hard enough that it literally pushes against your finger.

If you put just the right amount of pressure on the trigger it will "bounce" and fire again. This takes a bit of practice, but it's not hard to master.

The mechanical piston setup you described is basically a pneumag. The trigger opens a low pressure valve which lets air flow into a piston which smacks the sear and fires the marker. Those systems can be fired very quickly if you know how to walk a trigger well enough, but you can't do a "squeeze and spray" manuever like with an RT.

so a RT mag is more worth my time (as the pneumag, would require modifications, and mounting). I think I am going to keep my eyes open for a nice rt pro or x valve, as well as check with ninja about the tank. I have use aside from this for a 13/3000 tank, and might just get two regs for it, or hell, just two tanks.

is there anything else I need to worry about before embarking on this project?