Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New E-Mag/X-Mag board!!!!!!

Any chance we could get the solenoid to work with a 9V? Might call for a custom emag length ULT on/off pin.

Quote Originally Posted by splat15k
    Any chance we could get the solenoid to work with a 9V? Might call for a custom emag length ULT on/off pin.
    The solenoids that AGD chose to use can not be driven with a 9v source. Thats why we have to use an 18v battery.

It has nothing to do with the board per say.....

Quote Originally Posted by p8ntbal4me
    The solenoids that AGD chose to use can not be driven with a 9v source. Thats why we have to use an 18v battery.

Oh I thought that since you were considering sending new solenoids with the boards we could change the operating voltage while we're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by splat15k
    Oh I thought that since you were considering sending new solenoids with the boards we could change the operating voltage while we're at it.
    Operating voltage will be 5-30 volts

I would most probably buy another emag just to have this option...

I think ima start saving up, you guys can put me down for one...

I would be fine with a new solenoid. I would love the idea of mole connectors on the board instead of a directly soldered on solenoid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheePsycho
    I would love the idea of mole connectors on the board instead of a directly soldered on solenoid.

We are going to use JST rather than Molex connectors.

And all the connectors will be thru hole rather than SMD to make them even stronger.

jst connectors are fine as well.

We are going to use JST rather than Molex connectors.

And all the connectors will be thru hole rather than SMD to make them even stronger.
    Actually,... I should say that MOST of the connectors will be thru hole.

We talked about 1 or 2 of them being SMD (surface mounted).

Anything is better than soldered on leads directly to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by TheePsycho
    Anything is better than soldered on leads directly to the board.

You know what is the killer of that?

You can buy those connectors to plug the solenoid into that upper port now! LOL

Any chance the board will be LiPO friendly, i.e. low coltage cut-off?
    Last edited by 2old2pb; 02-01-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2pb
    Any chance the board will be LiPO freindly, i.e. low coltage cut-off?
    Low voltage cutoff,.. I believe thats what we are going to have happen involving the solenoid ports and aux ports.

The idea is to switch the power rather than try to regulate it on every component.

It will be more power friendly than the OEM board I can assure you of that.

I haven't read through all 3 pages of info, and so far from what I've read it sounds like it'll be a good board. But has anybody approached Will from Tadao about producing a board ? He has the experience and resources to do them. I think if he could get enough interest from the AKA community to do boards for the Viking and Excal, I'm sure there'd be even more demand from the AGD Community.
    If you can't join em, shoot em !

Quote Originally Posted by ghost271
    I haven't read through all 3 pages of info, and so far from what I've read it sounds like it'll be a good board. But has anybody approached Will from Tadao about producing a board ? He has the experience and resources to do them. I think if he could get enough interest from the AKA community to do boards for the Viking and Excal, I'm sure there'd be even more demand from the AGD Community.
    I talked with Will via email last year. Tadao was not interested in OEM work. Any of those guys (virtue, tadao, Hater, SE, SD) all have their PCB designs and out source the volume. The new PCB I'm developing is going thru the same process.

cant wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruler_Mark
    cant wait!

Wellllll,.. you have too!

Low voltage cutoff,.. I believe thats what we are going to have happen involving the solenoid ports and aux ports.

The idea is to switch the power rather than try to regulate it on every component.

It will be more power friendly than the OEM board I can assure you of that.
    Low voltage cutoff has more to do with LiPO batteries than what's connected to the ports. LiPOs are much lighter than NiMH with the same amp/hours. The biggest problem is that LiPOs shouldn't be over discharged or they'll get really hot and vent hydrogen, i.e. explode. Thus a low voltage cutoff function is needed for LiPo use. A 5s1p 2000mah LiPO would be 18.4vdc, less than 10oz. and last for probably 3x as many shots as a stock battery pack. A decent 5s capable charger definitely goes less than the E-mag chargers for sale (if you can find one). Time to get current with battery technology, no pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2pb
    Low voltage cutoff has more to do with LiPO batteries than what's connected to the ports. LiPOs are much lighter than NiMH with the same amp/hours. The biggest problem is that LiPOs shouldn't be over discharged or they'll get really hot and vent hydrogen, i.e. explode. Thus a low voltage cutoff function is needed for LiPo use. A 5s1p 2000mah LiPO would be 18.4vdc, less than 10oz. and last for probably 3x as many shots as a stock battery pack. A decent 5s capable charger definitely goes less than the E-mag chargers for sale (if you can find one). Time to get current with battery technology, no pun intended.

Id have to ask the engineer again about the "low battery" function of the board because thats what it looks like your asking about.

The circuit is going to "pickup" the signal either way and I know the chipset has an auto shutdown feature we are using. So the measures are there to avoid an "explosion" involving batteries.

The OEM board literally measured the resistance of the battery and once it hit a certain value it shut the board down. That was done with the circuit,.. not just the software.

Put me on the list.

This is something Iv looked into and been wanting to do for the last year, I called the company AGD used for the Solenoids, the guy I talked to knew exactly why AGD was using that model of noid, cause of the force required to push the Emag on/off. but if you used a ULT (which I think a few people have on emags here on AO for Mech mode more then E) you lower the force required to fire and it would be possible to use a Solenoid that can operate on a much smaller supply. even a 9v I think is possible.

I have no clue what your battery life would be though.

Any pics of one mounted inside a grip frame? if you have a prototype yet.
    Last edited by kcombs9; 02-04-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcombs9
    This is something Iv looked into and been wanting to do for the last year, I called the company AGD used for the Solenoids, the guy I talked to knew exactly why AGD was using that model of noid, cause of the force required to push the Emag on/off. but if you used a ULT (which I think a few people have on emags here on AO for Mech mode more then E) you lower the force required to fire and it would be possible to use a Solenoid that can operate on a much smaller supply. even a 9v I think is possible.

I have no clue what your battery life would be though.

Any pics of one mounted inside a grip frame? if you have a prototype yet.
    Your kinda talking about another can of worms here.

The problem you run into with the existing solenoid and the ULT is the return force on the plunger and sear. The ULT wont have enough "push" to reset the sear.

Now if you use a lower force solenoid and the ULT,.. it may work. But I have my concerns:

The first being that the ULT wont reset the existing solenoid because of the arm angle that the sear has already. The solenoid TECHNICALLY should pivot on the bottom to lessen the drag and friction on the plunger. That, or a cam and channel rather than a clevis and hole on the sear arm.

Its hard to describe, but this problem was brought up a few times in private conversations between some AGD personnel as well as publicly on the forum.

As I recall, the problem is the sear arm. Not the solenoid.

If you can get a smaller solenoid coil to work with the ULT, that would open alot of doors.

UPDATE

Still making changes to the circuit. We have added an electrical circuit protection in the event some of you "do it yourself'ers" decide to void the warranty and fool around with the battery polarity

This will prevent the battery voltage from being flipped and frying the board either by mistake or on purpose.

i want one sir

New E-Mag/X-Mag board

Yes,.. you read that correctly!

We are going to make a new board for the E-Mag and X-Mag

This will be a completely new board that will replace the no longer available OEM boards

The board will be a “drop in replacement” product

We are going to make some changes to the current design to make it more up to date

We are looking to support some of the following features:
    The ACE board
    Break Beam/Bounce Beam Eye Systems
    HES trigger
    Use the rear button as a power switch
    Use the rear button as a mode/eye switch
    Multi-color LED (no LED Screen)
    Warp Feed Port
    Solenoid Port
    Power Port
    Solenoid Polarity Correction
    RF Hopper link

We are looking to make 100 boards in the first run

We are still working on a price. It looks to be $150+

We will test the board in video for all of you to see it prior to committing an order for production

If you would like to be on the list at production time, please post here (No PMs)

We will answer all questions about the board, price, shipping, software. code, options, etc at a later date

Thank You,.....

The List:

1 - P8ntbal4me
    2 - BigEvil
    3 - Ando
    4 - sjrtk
    5 - zondo
    6 - 4rpp
    7 - splat15k
    8 - Swamp Thing
    9 - Ratt
    10 - IrishRedneck86
    11 - Dirg
    12 - Loguzzzzzz
    13 - SSP Reaper
    14 - Ruler Mark
    15 - onecaribou
    16 - Enhander
    17 - fierymartel
    18 - inkedballer
    19 - Three Psycho
    20 - pk5
    21 - bbotts77
    22 - Predaator.
    23 - motodrom16
    24 - erebus
    25- mrairman

Guess that will make me # 26

Quote Originally Posted by Imasho
    Guess that will make me # 26
    Make me #27

We are still moving right along with the new boards. Circuit design is complete. We are working on the ACE right now.

As for software: we are looking into licensing options. We also have developed code for testing the boards during prototyping.

We will have more information later on.

Will the ACE plug straight into the board or will it be mounted on a second board like it currently is ? Also will the board include the eye and harness or will that be separate ?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost271
    Will the ACE plug straight into the board or will it be mounted on a second board like it currently is ? Also will the board include the eye and harness or will that be separate ?

There will still be a secondary board in the top but the way it interacts with the new main board will make it completely different.

You will not be able to use the new ACE board with the old main board.

The ACE eye will be a similar type and function the same or better based on the software installed on the main board.

I haven't seen any vids of the XMod ripping, but will this new board put our mags on par with current electros/egomags ? My single day of play with my Xmag was less than stellar ( need to tune Lvl 10 more) and the magnetic return is the longest and heaviest of any electro I've used.