Thread: Reg piston maintenance??

Reg piston maintenance??

I unscrewed the velocity adjuster nut and pulled out the reg piston. It is covered in grease and the o ring is caked up so I want to put a new o ring on it. Should I clean it off and just use oil?? Or, leave it greasy and just change the o ring one put it back together?

You can clean it, polish it back to a shine and use oil on it. The grease is from the sping pack to prevent rust. You can use automotive grease as replacement (synthetic).

Yes, just clean the piston off so that it is free of dirt and gunk. Also clean the inside of the regulator back that it came out of. That surface is critical to the smooth operation of the piston and regulation of internal pressure/velocity. A tiny bit of oil on the oring and piston is all you need for lubrication. Since you have the piston out, clean any hardened gunk of the springs and re-grease them. A good synthetic grease is recommended for this.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

And clean out the inside of the o-ring groove on the piston. We take that for granted, but...

Quote Originally Posted by athomas
    clean any hardened gunk of the springs and re-grease them.
    Slightly off-topic...I've never seen a spring pack so dirty it wouldn't function correctly, but I can see a mix of dirt, grease and paint getting packed between the washers enough to stiffen the response significantly. It would have to have been treated like a rental though.

I've always thought of pack cleaning as a maintenance item, more than a tuning item, but always, "a slick mag is a fast mag."