Thread: Are Smart mags worth more money?

Are Smart mags worth more money?

I have a smart mag that is in excellent condition and I'm not sure if I should sell it or hold onto it. I have tried finding info on it, but its tough to to get any good info. From what I can tell they made 500 and most have been parted and very few are in their original state. The only problem with this one is that it has a slight powertube leak down the front. Instead of spacers it has a spring, The oring is fine so I'm guessing its the spring that is causing the leak.

So my Questions are:
    1). Is this one (pictured below) in its original state?
    2). how rare are they?
    3). Should I change out the spring with a PT spacer, or would that affect the originality of it?
    4). Should I sell this, or hang onto it for a wall hanger 10 years down the road?
    5). I was thinking about having it splashed anodized, is this a good idea, or don't mess with it?
    6). Any idea what an appropriate asking price for this would be?

Just to be clear, I am not selling this so please don't pm me offers.

Last edited by shooter311; 04-08-2011 at 07:32 AM.

The wood grips are a nice touch, but overall the mag is not significantly different than other mag out there. I don't think that there is a huge amount of money to be made in that marker.

Disregard, I saw that it is not a Magic Box mag. I don't see any significant increase in value unless it comes with a factory box and paperwork etc.
    Last edited by OPBN; 04-08-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Because I realized it wasnt a magic box mag

Does it have the ported rear valve section? It's not overly valuable but its a nice piece of history. I always like keeping the original guns that were icons within the paintball community.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas
    Does it have the ported rear valve section? It's not overly valuable but its a nice piece of history. I always like keeping the original guns that were icons within the paintball community.
    Ported rear valve section? Do you mean the eight hole mod? If so yes it does. If I sell it/ trade it probably will be here.

I think they made around 3000 of those, at least I've seen posts with SM serial numbers that high. I had one, serial number SM00198 and when I parted most of it out it had no significant value over any other Mag parts I've sold.

Quote Originally Posted by bpreister
    I think they made around 3000 of those, at least I've seen posts with SM serial numbers that high. I had one, serial number SM00198 and when I parted most of it out it had no significant value over any other Mag parts I've sold.
    So since its nothing that special I'll be sure to fix it up and get some use out of it. Although it that massive X-chamber on it, it weighs a ton. I just didn't want to be the guy who destroyed a part of paintball history by parting it out. Thanks for the info...

I've just picked up a smart mag for peanuts in the UK.

I want to pump it and loose the ugly (and pointless) magic box on the side. What is the easiest way to get rid of it, and re-sealing the chamber without trashing the valve?

Quote Originally Posted by GEE TEE
    I've just picked up a smart mag for peanuts in the UK.

I want to pump it and loose the ugly (and pointless) magic box on the side. What is the easiest way to get rid of it, and re-sealing the chamber without trashing the valve?
    Take the magic box apart and unscrew the extensions that attach to the valve. The back hole is just the regular entry into the valve. The front hole can be plugged with a pipe threaded plug of the same size.

Thanks is the box itself easy to pull apart?

It's hard to work out which part to undo first.. other than possibly the inlet feed

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...Divnsfd&itbs=1
    Last edited by GEE TEE; 08-23-2011 at 05:43 AM.

The magic box is just an extension tube on the inlet and a hollow plug in the chamber. The black part is just a cover. Undo the cap and slide it off. After that, you will have to remove the tube and plug with a pipe wrench, I suspect. I can't remember exactly how it goes together, but I know it isn't complicated, so don't expect something too complex.

I understand how the box works.. what I don't get is how to remove the damn thing. I pulled off the air feed elbow last night which revealed a filter inside, but it didnt seem to loosen the box at all. Even gently prying the box away from valve body with a screwdriver didn't show any sign of movement, and I dont want to get brutal and risk wrecking the valve. You say remove the cap and slide it off... which cap do you mean? I can't spot a removeable cap on my box

Can anyone here that's actually removed one please describe a step by step process

Vague info or guesswork is no help at all

http://www.pbase.com/k_macocker/smar...ic_box_automag
    Last edited by GEE TEE; 08-23-2011 at 05:42 AM.