Thread: Almost finished with the EP Automag Valve... (massive pics)

Almost finished with the EP Automag Valve... (massive pics)

Everything is machined from solid 7075-T651 aluminum. It works like an MQ valve except I made a pneumatic actuator to control venting instead of the typical MQ solenoid. The acturtor vents the air behind the poppet and the poppet opens up the dump chamber to the AGD bolt. No sear. I figure if Hill's reverse sear mod has enough flow to operae the mag bolt this sould work great. I have a shocker frame... but I might mod my Airwalk to hold a trigger switch. I'll have see how well it works out before I pillage my pneumag's frame.

I need to clean up one of the oring grooves (too tight) and pick up a few orings. Otherwise, everything appears to fit and seal well. Soon I'll send it off to the anodizer and pick up the solonoid/electronics/orings while I wait. I've got two valves... but one still needs a poppet machined. The second valve will be taylored more for a Level 7 bolt.

Pretty cool, what machine did you use to make your parts?

Regular Bridgeport mill and a well setup Hardinge lathe (9x20 I think). Both have DRO but entirely manual otherwise. Nice tooling too... multi-axis vises, manual 4th axis with collet holder, ect...
    We've got about 2 dozen CNC machines at work too... but I can work the manual machines "under the radar".

Yup, the machines at work bea tthe crap out of my chinese tabletop lathe & mill at home.

Very nice!

And the first set works with a level 10 bolt?

It should work with a LX but I still have to test it. I still need more orings a noid, and a modified rail. The flow is a bit goofy to get around the tail of the LX bolt... but I'm confident it should work. Dump chamber is identical volume as the Xvalve so pressures should be equal or less than AGD pressures and the LX should still work.

The main question...will it be more efficient? Looks cool.

I would love to test one for you!

Put it on a DM 3 frame to test it. It may set far enough back to get to the LP air inlet.
    Last edited by hill160881; 06-25-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leloup
    The main question...will it be more efficient? Looks cool.
    No is the simple answer. But with tweaking it could be made so.

so this will require a inline Reg? and if this is successful will you be selling them to some degree?

Quote Originally Posted by Pneumagger
    Regular Bridgeport mill and a well setup Hardinge lathe (9x20 I think). Both have DRO but entirely manual otherwise. Nice tooling too... multi-axis vises, manual 4th axis with collet holder, ect...
    A true machinist, very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by kcombs9
    so this will require a inline Reg? and if this is successful will you be selling them to some degree?
    This particulr design uses an inline reg and an LPR.. the lpr is for the pilot actuator. However, once more is understood about how it behaves the ideal situation is to get a inlie solenoid (like the emag) to control it.

Not sure about selling them yet (I don't even know if it work). Plus I'm pretty sure the technology is already patented. And making each valve manually is not really an option. Each valve probably takes about 15-18 hours to machine manually plus the cost of materials, tooling, & finishing. These two valves took about a month or s because I could only make one part per day after my regular job.

And I think once this is done I'm going to start up a new project...
    My own version of the DW Aedes using this Actuated PCP valve and an air return bolt:

Last edited by Pneumagger; 06-25-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pneumagger
    We've got about 2 dozen CNC machines at work too... but I can work the manual machines "under the radar".

Man, my machine shop buddies be jelly. Dey mirin'.
    God....I guess I was probably returning videotapes.

Exclamation

I saw the Aedes last year at World cup at the DW booth.

Last edited by going_home; 06-26-2011 at 09:21 PM.

anything become of this? did pnuemagger get banned?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris TS-1438
    anything become of this? did pnuemagger get banned?
    No, he got married.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW
    No, he got married.
    crap that means this project is dead snipped whipped locked down etc.

bump

Wow!

Does anyone know what came of this?

10-17-2012, 03:52 PM
    Instead of using an off the shelf MQ, I designed and machined my own mag valve body and internals. Same principles of the MQ poppet design in a more costom form factor.

The valve works with low pressure but is unanodized and unfinished. I'm currently in Afhanistan and I'll finish the project when my deployment ends.
    His response to me about it last year.
    AO Feedback |*| MCB Feedback |*| Please ship to me in Canada using USPS (US shipping also an option...US Parcel Pickup)

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Yup just wondering if he ever completed it hence the bump from the dim dark caverns