Thread: totally mind blowing...

totally mind blowing...

i went to my old field today to play, now i havent played in years. like 6 years. but SO MUCH has changed... that place used to be THE SPOT. but now... it's only open for play on sundays. so i made the long trip for nothing almost... it's about 45min to get there. they dont have any speedball anymore! that was my favorite at that place... they only do woods. which is ok, but i really miss speedball, and they had the best fields... and.... i dont even want to say this..... he saw my Mag and said "wow i havent seen one of those in years" he said because their obsolete i was a bit hurt when he said that.... he said that the mini's are the exact design as a mag, just smaller lighter and more efficient. he said that they are basically eMags. and therefore the Mags are obsolete... he said he gave his Mags away. he gave away an EMAG! lucky kid whoever it was he gave it to. so i will have to find a new field soon i guess. i'll still go back to my old field for big woodsball games, but they dont have speedball. so... it is what it is i guess...
    oh, and dont hate on the dude too much please. he doesnt hate mags and he didnt mean anything by what he said, he was just bringing the harsh truth on the way paintball is today. a lot has happened to the game since i last played. and thats what has blown my mind. i talked with him a bit on how the guns that used to cost 1200 + $ are now selling for dirt cheap. he even said that mini's are selling for 200 at his place.... i just dont get it man.. it's like i was frozen and had been thawed... good lord... someone take me back to 2002!!

Perhaps his attitude is part of the reason he is only open 1 day a week.

perhaps... it's just a shame. it was an amazing field a few years ago. it was worth the trip every weekend. i feel old now.

You only wanna go back to 2002? Psshhh, not far enough back for me, try 1998! Late 90's was the best pball era for me (in my humble opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by dahoeb
    You only wanna go back to 2002? Psshhh, not far enough back for me, try 1998! Late 90's was the best pball era for me (in my humble opinion).
    well, yeah. now that you mention it, i'd be cool with goin back that far
    i was just so stoked about finishing the Mag and playing with it, and it almost felt like a diss... but whatever... i still love my Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by dahoeb
    +1 95 - 99 were awesome PB years.

Note: I started playing with a splatmaster rapide. that'll tell some of you how long ago it was.

Quote Originally Posted by ALF702
    yup, i had one of those, here's the commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgEtJan5z_I

well, i just refuse to believe that my Automag is "obsolete". it does the exact same thing as the modern markers do, just not as fast. and it's all mechanical. so what. big deal.
    to me, it's the best out there.

The same old Myths about mags. Heavy, slow, and inefficient. You know, not one of my mags fit any of these descriptions. Not any more I think it is his information that is obsolete.
    Last edited by hill160881; 07-16-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hill160881
    The same old Myths about mags. Heavy, slow, and inefficient. You know, not one of my mags fit any of these descriptions. Not any more I think it is his information that is obsolete.
    thanks hill. you da man

Quote Originally Posted by stevewar
    yup, i had one of those, here's the commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgEtJan5z_I
    With a commercial like that, no wonder it vanished long ago. Awful, just awful...
    It looks about the same quality as the gun i used to play duck hunt with on my original nintendo back in the day..

Quote Originally Posted by magtard13
    he said that the mini's are the exact design as a mag, just smaller lighter and more efficient. he said that they are basically eMags.

the only thing he was correct about. i started to play in 2004 and found mags in 2007, took a break for a while and now that i've been back for a year or so i also made this comparison.

the mini and the axe are basically the grandchildren of the emag, but without the wisdom and "old man strength" that can't be denied haha

Quote Originally Posted by magtard13
    well, i just refuse to believe that my Automag is "obsolete". it does the exact same thing as the modern markers do, just not as fast. and it's all mechanical. so what. big deal.
    to me, it's the best out there.
    That is like saying a Shelby Cobra is "obsolete".

The field owner you spoke with is probably not helping the sport, OR his personal business with that approach. It's not the marker that makes the player, it's the PLAYER.

So many fields (pro-shops) have gone bankrupt by promoting complex, electro, high-ROF markers to every player that walks through the door. They anticipate increased paint sales, but don't see how it can drive players OUT of the sport! Costs too much to play, every weekend. Marker is too complex to tech on their own. LOTS of overshooting issues on the field when the high ROF kiddies throw a rope of paint at rookie players, etc. The end result is few players and reduced revenues.

What field owners SHOULD do is promote the sport, and find hardware that fits to the player. It's NOT about ROF!!!! I can't stress that enough!!! Find a marker that allows the player to spend (in paint) what they can afford, AND what they are comfortable working on them selves. This will also minimize overshooting, so EVERYONE is happy!!! This keeps people in the sport, which is really the key to surviving in this industry. This is one of the key reasons I have supported AGD for so many years. The Mag lineup HELPS keep people in the sport! Mags are reliable, they shoot great, and they do what the user asks of them, without being overly complex. It's a great platform for ANY player at any skill level. For the fields that don't recognize this dynamic, too bad... They are missing out on one of the best products the industry has to offer, and in doing so, are loosing long term business (survival) in favor of the quick buck.

Too bad about the field... Sounds like they have past their prime, and don't see the big picture any more. You are always welcome to visit Charleston and get some fun rec-ball action. I'll promise plenty of Mag shooters on the field, lots of people to shoot at, AND true respect for some of the "old skool" hardware!!!
    Last edited by Skeeter; 07-19-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    Time is what keeps things from happening all at once

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter
    That is like saying a Shelby Cobra is "obsolete".
    HELLZ YAH! love me some shelby. love me some mags.

In my area, I know at least 3 fields that have a strong Mag presence. They are nowhere from being obsolete!