Thread: Tau vs PI

Tau vs PI

First, read this:
    http://news.yahoo.com/mathematicians...154001699.html

My opinion on this is that it's a simple guage transformation that is useful in spherical trig or calculating compound angles but that's it.
    Math is a tool. An elaborate extension to describe whatever we choose to measure.

PI is a reasonably accurate description of the ratio of diameter to circumference.
    Tau is a reasonable accurate description of the ratio of radius to circumference.

Is there so much of a difference?
    CT Co-ordinator, Paintball Marshals

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrate Jim
    Is there so much of a difference?

In other news, this:

"When measuring angles, mathematicians don't use degrees, they use radians," Houston enthusiastically told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to LiveScience. "There are 2pi radians in a circle. This means one quarter of a circle corresponds to half of pi. That is, one quarter corresponds to a half. That's crazy. Similarly, three quarters of a circle is three halves of pi. Three quarters corresponds to three halves!" [A Real Pie Chart: America's Favorite Pies]

"Let's now use tau," he continued. "One quarter of a circle is one quarter of tau. One quarter corresponds to one quarter! Isn't that sensible and easy to remember? Similarly, three quarters of a circle is three quarters of tau." Making tau equal to the full angular turn through a circle, he said, is "so easy and would prevent math, physics and engineering students from making silly errors."
    Looking back on learning calculus and other angular math subjects, 1tau around the circle would have made a lot more sense than 2pi.

Although, once you understand the concept behind it all, it doesn't matter if you're using 1tau, 2pi, or 8.42girtles. As long as everyone is clear and remains clear about what the different symbols mean and how they apply to the math and concepts.

On another note, it kind of just depends where you want to apply the 2:

C = 2 * pi * r OR
    C = tau * r OR
    C = pi * d OR
    C = tau * (1/2) * d

It kind of just depends on what number you want to use, r or d, and based on that, pi or tau.

e was always cooler then either

Oh boy it's going to be fun helping the kids with home work when they finally get to this at school... better prep up now.

Im going to tell my children I have brain damage. That will keep their expectations low.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwitch
    Im going to tell my children I have brain damage. That will keep their expectations low.
    do you have any yet ????

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic
    do you have any yet ????

He's got twin boys on the way ...you didn't read?

POST # 184 --- https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...81#post2770181