Thread: What if you get fooled in a buy

What if you get fooled in a buy

What's the protocol if you get fooled in an online buy?
    Not on this site, I bought a used mag classic advertised as "great shape," "flawless working condition," and "just rebuilt." when I received the marker, I gassed it up and it fired just fine so I left feedback and set it aside until I could get to a field to chrony it. Well, I didn't make it to a chrony for about 2 more weeks. It shot low so I turned it up and it started leaking hard out the back. Come to find out, someone had done a hack 9-hole mod and the reg body was messed up and eating the reg seat. I replaced the reg seat, but after a day's shooting, it's destroyed again.
    The seller doesn't want to take any responsibility. I told him I can replace the reg body for about $15 so that's all I'm looking for.
    What do you guys think? What's proper etiquette here?

did you pay with paypal?

Quote Originally Posted by sQuidvision
    did you pay with paypal?
    Yes, but it's now been almost a month.

Tell him you are filing a claim with paypal. Had to do with with a warp feed once that was not in as described condition (huge crack). He paid for new shells, though I still ended up paying shipping on the shells.

That's a tough one. Yes, he is definitely responsible and misrepresented it, so he should be held responsible to make it right. The problem is that you accepted it as being ok and already left positive feedback. It makes it harder to go back and say its not ok now. Try to negotiate a settlement. If it was paid for through Paypal, you might have a chance, but with a positive feedback, even that avenue is compromised.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

yes, i would suggest the PP route... did you leave feedback through their system? if not then i have found there is no better way to get a seller to cooperate than to open a claim. until you do that they can just ignore you until you go away. Stinks that you have to go that route, but thats why PP has the ability to file a claim.

EDIT: I believe you get something like 45 days from date of purchase to file a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle
    You only have 45 days to initiate a dispute through paypal. I keep having problems with sellers. Most recently, I purchased a marker with irreparable internal damage. Still trying to sort that out. Ugh! I just wish people would be honest in their descriptions! Good luck!

Thanks, guys.
    I know the $15 isn't much, but it's the principle of the thing. Honestly, had he been more accommodating or even partially apologetic, I probably would have just said "forget about it." But he came out swinging and that just makes me want to fight back.

^^ One more reason to file a claim with Paypal as others said. It works if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle
    45 days is their cut off.

I'll be the anti claim guy. How much is your time really worth? Chalk it up to experience learned and move on. Had it been a more significant amount, or if it was unfixable I would say make the claim. Save yourself the grief and headache. Karma is a mean wench, he will get his.

I've had success with filing a claim with Paypal before. I purchased a marker off of Ebay, come to find out it's some kid using his mom's account. I paid for the item but it never shipped so I contacted the kid and he said I never paid for it so he wasn't shipping it out.

I filed a claim and the lady I was talking to at Paypal thought it was funny since she said It shows quite clearly that I did in fact pay and not only that but I wouldn't even be able to open a claim unless I paid. Paypal told me I had to wait 10 days so they could get in contact with the seller. After about 3 days and no contact I said screw this and called Paypal up and they waived the 10 days and gave me my refund.

Good experience with the claims process. I would say try to file a claim first if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    I'll be the anti claim guy. How much is your time really worth? Chalk it up to experience learned and move on. Had it been a more significant amount, or if it was unfixable I would say make the claim. Save yourself the grief and headache. Karma is a mean wench, he will get his.
    I'd go the opposite- it is your responsibility to all paintball players to stand your ground. If this kid gets away with it today, he'll continue to do it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Drix
    If this kid gets away with it today, he'll continue to do it in the future.
    +1

The other thing I've encountered a few times are sellers who claim ignorance. I bought a "working" HPA aluminum tank from a guy, but when it arrived, it was leaking from the tank threads, and to make matters worse, the reg was somehow stuck in the tank (probably locktited). I tried every trick in the book, but I could never get the reg off. So, I had a leaking tank that I couldn't fix.

When I contacted the seller, he was all "Oh... I didn't know that. Sorry. Not my fault. I got it in a trade and the previous owner said it was working, so that's what I told you." For what it's worth, I believe him. I don't think he was trying to rip me off... he was just lazy and didn't check the equipment before shipping it to me.

I threw a fit and somehow convinced PayPay to refund me the full price. The seller was PISSED!!! He lost the price of the tank and the cost of shipping. But I bet he'll never sell anything again without making sure he's describing it accurately.

Slightly different scenarios. Your situation could not be fixed, the OP's can for a nominal amount. Buying used equipment comes with its risks. Ask for a refund if you want, but be prepared for the buyer to tell you to go scratch. Part of your responsibility was also to check the goods when they arrived to make sure they were up to the standards you expected.

I guess my time is worth more to me than to piss and moan over $15.

It really doesn't take long to open a PP claim. once the claim is open you will often find the seller to be suddenly willing to negotiate a solution.

EDIT: Also i agree it is the buyer's responsibility to check the goods, but according to PP you have 45 days to do so. Be it two weeks later or not the guy still lied about the condition of the item and there should be repercussions for it.

Bow mentioned already that it's not about the money, and how many people actually air up and check their stuff everytime it comes in, especially with a mag, since we all know mags are solid and we shouldnt need to worry too much. Id only air it up right away for the excitement of getting a new gun.

I agree with most of what everyone else has said, file a claim, hopefully it'll work out, and the seller will realize that perhaps selling damaged goods through lies isn't the way to go.

Try not to let it go, amount isn't the reason, it could be anything.

If you are positive you are right??? file the claim if you still can.

If to late to file the claim, just call PayPal, and talk to some one in charge that sound like they know what they are talking about, if not politely hang up and call back again, talk to another representative.

You have to do alot of TALKING don't just listen to the RUN-AROUND, thats the trick.

D.K.