Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Non paintball build, toyota starlet build up(picture heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by balla fo life
    How flush are you gonna make this thing I'm really excited to see it done. If I ever come down to visit mook I'd like to meet you and see this bad boy. Can't wait to see it all put toghter
    I plan on doing the body work as soon as I can find a person to do it for a reasonable price. Probably trade for some medication or just cash. Lots of good body technicians out of work right now. The interior will cost about 800 including rebuild and upholstered seats. I will do the rest of the interior.

I plan to spend no more than 12 to 13 thousand by the time I am done.

For the cost of a kinda nice slow used car I will have a monster super car built the way i want.

Remember I sold my 2002 audi TT roadster and my 87 mercedes 300 td to build this. Both cars were paid for so I got to keep the cash.
    Last edited by hill160881; 11-27-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Starlet #2

Also I like these little cars so much I got a second one and gave it to my brother. He always wanted a car to build and was affordable to do so.

Got this in trade and it was filled with rats and mice for the last 5 years so it got striped and pressure washen on the inside with super clean. I just pull the drain plugs and go to town. It is in running condition but needs a new set of front struts and brakes. I will take them off my car and swap them to his.

Before

After
    Last edited by hill160881; 11-27-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Back to my project

I got the brakes and bellhousing cleaned off today. At least the shop can handle them now.

I took the car and the parts I have to the shop doing the install yesterday. It was a 12 hour day of driving with all the running around.

Well as it turns out no one that lists the Cusco flywheel actually has it and it needed 8+ weeks to come in. So I got what the shop said to get that would be better and cheaper but its aluminum and I will just have to accept it I guess. So I picked up a Fidanza 8 pound two piece aluminum flywheel. Probly going to be to light but whatever.

Also the new water pump came in. Its bigger than the picture makes it look. lol. This is for the intercooler Absolutley no heat soak

I ordered brake lines and a Magnaflow cat, and now need steering knuckles and a hard lock LSD rebuild kit.

So add to the list

-Bsch 5 gpm at 5 psi magnetic drive water pump
    -Magnaflow California high flow catalytic converter
    -brake lines
    -technotoytuning short throw shifter(50% throw reduction)
    -Technotoytuning steering knuckles
    -LSD rebuild kit with larger thicker plates and stiffer springs for 60% harder lock
    Last edited by hill160881; 11-30-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hill160881

That could have been the main water pump for the factory engine. Some times bigger is better.

Although I do like the Fidanza flywheels. I have one on the rotary sitting in the corner of the garage. Already mated to a 5 speed and twin plate clutch from a nice 2000 RX-7. Sometimes you just have to love deer.

A few new shots of the parts and the progress while I was at the shop today.

Keep the pictures coming Tracy. You going to roof mount the mini gun?

Good Idea

Well as car audio is something of a speciality of mine,,,,,,,, hehe. It will be rediculus like the rest of it. So 3 component sets and a huge 1000 watt rms 4 channel amp running at a 2 ohlm load. In total a 16.1 speaker sound system composed of different sizes and designs to hit every frequency.

Ok, some of the audio goodies are here. I decided to go with some cheap off brand equipment. As I know what to look for I can get unbelievably cheap stuff and it will sound like a competition audio system. As I have said I have a great deal of experience in these matters. I went away from the relly heavy setup and decided on a lighter subwoofer setup, 140 lbs lighter. So I am going to run

Head unit is one that uses the Iphone as its brain and main face plate.
    -Oxygen Audio 02

Front
     -FLI/vibe audio 3 way component set (6.5"woofer 2.5"mid/high driver 1" tweeter with 3 way crossover)
    -Mix match FLI audio/cadence 2 way component set (6.5" woofer 1" tweeter 2 way crossover)

Rear
    -FLI/vibe audio with cadence 3 way component set(8" woofer 6.5" woofer 1" tweeter)

Mid/high amp
    -MB quartz 1000 watt rms 4 way Running mids and highs at 2 ohms

Sub/amp
    Edit: The FLI did not ship and I wanted something ridicules anyway. So Now I have ordered a JL audio 8" W7, hehe and a MBQ 600x1 at 2ohlm amp. Man this thing is going to hammer now.

What has arrived so far. Still waiting on the amp, sup, and 6.5" component set.

All the speakers including both amps were less than 600 bucks. Total system cost is around 750 and will drown systems costing 5+ thousand bucks. Not to mention it will be so clean and clear it will stun people who know how cheap this system really is.

The most impressive system I ever herd was a Kove audio system and at the time they were and still are total junk.
    Last edited by hill160881; 12-15-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Here we go on the box for the W7

I am using the specs from the JL website for a ported enclosure. The difference is that instead of one port on the side I am running two. If I get the math and measurements right it will pound.

The Mid/High range amp in front of the box. As you can see the box is actually pretty small. Well that amp is huge, but anyway. The sub amp is half that size.

The rest of the audio should be here on Monday. Tomorrow is paneling and finishing up the box.
    Last edited by hill160881; 12-17-2011 at 09:43 PM.

I am doing a light grey interior but want to do something fancy with the dressing pieces I will make once I get the car back. So I did the box in black. I will do lettering in the cover pieces and they will show up as black lettering on grey carpet.

Everything has arrived

Made the new door panels and set the speakers in to see how they look. Then the subwoofer and box.

Last edited by hill160881; 12-19-2011 at 06:29 PM.

update above

These are the 8s from the component set for the rear channels. Thats right a 3 way component set with an 8 inch then a 6 inch then a tweeter. You have no Idea how loud this system will be.

Edit.
    I connected the amp and the sub in my brothers car today to see what it could do and WOW! It hits as hard as a set of 12s. It hits from 28Hz on up clean, clear and very hard. It will give you that OMFG face when listening to a base test track. It leaves you saying "that can't only be an 8" sub, that has to be a pair of 12s." or thats what my neighbor said before seeing the sub.lol.

The rear panels.

The back of the panel and it in the car.

Last edited by hill160881; 12-24-2011 at 02:52 PM.

I think even us up here in Canada will know how loud it is when you first turn it on it will be so loud

Looking good

Ok so I finally got some time and on the second try I figured out this vinyl I have. It is still cold out so I hope it does not get all wrinkled in the heat but looks great for now.

The other side before the holes are cut.

These are just placed in and not installed.
    Last edited by hill160881; 12-29-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Now the door panels.

The fit against the interior jam trim

The view down the side.

Look! New plastic parts in the color of my chioce!

Color match

Ok just joking. Here is how they went from nasty brown to new matching grey.

First this and a pressure washing.

Then these two following the directions.

And here the parts are after primer.

I know this wont hold up on the parts you touch allot however it will work fine for the components that get almost no wear.
    Last edited by hill160881; 01-01-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Some background on the engine I have.

Toyota 4A-GZE Engine

1987 saw the release of supercharged version of 4A-GE engine, which was named 4A-GZE. 16 valve DOHC engine was sharing the same cast iron short block with second generation 4A-GE. This block was strengtened by 7 external vertical ribs as opposed to three found on earlier engines. All dimensions, 1587cc with 81.0mm bore x 77.0mm stroke were were also the same with 4A-GE. 4A-GZE was utilizing a SC12 supercharger paired with a Nippon Denso air-to-air intercooler mounted right underneath the engine cover's cooling vent. SC12 was a positive displacement root supercharger developed by Toyota. It was featuring teflon coated rotors and an electro-magnetic clutch controlled by the ECU. During low and mid-range engine operation, when power was not required, electro-magnetic clutch on the supercharger’s input shaft was disengaged, idling the supercharger unit. During acceleration and high engine load ECU engaged the electromagnetic clutch and the supercharger started to pump in air.

4A-GZE incorporates several modifications in order to cope with forced induction. Cast aluminum pistons were replaced with lower compression ceramic coated forged aluminum ones along with a stronger cranckshaft and forged connecting rods. Cylinder head gasket was made of carbon with steel wires around the bores for better sealing. Camhaft design was revised to provide better valve timing, and the fuel injection system has been recalibrated. To round out the development, the intake and exhaust tracts have also been tailored to the new engine. Just like other Toyota engines, 4A-GZE went through some modifications to increase and efficiency. Although there is no such official classification from Toyota, 4A-GZE engine are generally collected under three generations.

First Generation

First generation of 4A-GZE was released with AW11 Toyota MR2 in 1987 . One year later JDM AE92 Toyota Levin recived 4A-GZE engine. First generation was using distributor type ignition coupled with an air flow meter, knock sensor and an oxygen sensor. Compression ratio was 8.0:1. First generation 4A-GZE engines were delivering 145hp at 6400RPM and 186Nm at 4400RPM.

Second Generation

Second generation 4A-GZE was only used in JDM AE92 Toyota Levin between 1991-1992. In second generation 4A-GZE, the distributor type ignition was replaced with direct-fire twin coil igniton using a MAP air sensor. Big port head was changed with small port head and the compression ratio was increased to 8.9:1. With the new improvements engines output was raised to 165hp at 6400RPM and 201Nm at 4400RPM.

Third Generation

Third generation 4A-GZE was used to power AE101 Toyota Levin between 1992 to 1995. Third generation 4A-GZE was almost the same with second generation. The only change was the smaller diameter pulley used in supercharger to provide extra boost. Third generation engines were the most powerfull of all 4A-GZE engines delivering 170hp at 6400RPM and 206Nm at 4400RPM.

Production of 4A-GZE ended in 1995 with release of 20V 4A-GE engine.

The JDM third gen is what I think I have as it has the smaller pulley on the charger.

On top of the 170 base horse power I will be adding 5psi of boost, huge water to air intercooler,lightweight racing flywheel and clutch, header back exhaust, new fule pump, and a set of mild cams. In all it will be close to a 100hp increase.

Alright! Enough interior, now some pictures of the good stuff.

Transmission is in and just needs the cross-member welded in

Everything up front fit really nicely.

Look coil ignition, no distributor.

New location for the shifter

The new hydraulic clutch.

The location of the resevor for the clutch

Just ordered this.

It converts the front sway,system(sway bar, lower control arms, TC rod, cross member) into something like the AE86 only strong enough for rally/high speed racing. This provides the same stering feedback and control as the AE86.
    http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=102972

All this waiting is getting hard to stand.

When do you hope to have this car done Tracy? Are you going to paint it yourself?

Probably by the end of the month. I will be doing the paint if I have the time. If not I will find someone that can do it in there gerage.

New stuff

You can see the back half of the intercooler is in the finder well.

Starting to look sick

They had to modify the output to the charger and the inlets to the intercooler.

Just the rear end and some finishing touches and she will be ready to come home and get her new interior.

Here are the wheels I ended up with. After much scrubing they came clean. Then I taped them off and gave them a coat of satin black to highlight the old 8 spoke patern. So a little restore work with some new rubber and they will look great

New rubber mounted on freshly restored supra rims.
    Last edited by hill160881; 02-24-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Talking

Ok so some progress and things are looking better.

sorry for the crappy pics. I was using my Iphone.

They will fit with a role or maybe some small flares. Yes the front of the car is complete and you cant see the intercooler. Sleeper indeed muahahaha.

The fule pump mounted under the Axle

The axle is mounted and awaiting the new kaaz LSD and new 3.91 gear set. I will post better ones next week.

Some updates.
    The T3 short shift kit is in.

The engine compartment is finished

Anybody like the stance?

Do they fit?

Perfect!

The rear springs.

Is there any way to get rid of the old black rubber bumpers? A body kit or hard molded bumpers.

Why not leave it on, I think the car is looking pretty good and the bumper kind of keeps it complete

I could get a set of JDM bumpers. They are smaler and chrome but cost more than the car did at up to $1200 a set used. Those bumpers are very rare here in the states to say the least. There are only 1800 or so of these cars left registered in the USA. There is a TRD body kit but it is also really expensive at close to 2 grand for a complete original kit, if you could find one. Reproductions are cheaper at around a grand but both require a body shop to install the kit right. The other body kits for them are ugly as sin. The only thing i will probally do to the exterior is a TRD rear wing as they actually look good on these. Also it will actually do something since I have RWD.

The next phase will include a set of 440cc injectors, a set of HKS cams, a megasquirt ECU and a 1mm TRD head gasket. After this I will dyno tune it and get two programs, one for 91 octane and one for 101 This should bring my power right where i want it and may still pass smog. Not that it matters when I have an identical completely stock one of these cars that will pass smog.

I will wait on the next phase until i got it smoged and have driven it a bit before I find a different shop to do the injectors, cams......This shop does great work but are almost doble there original estimate and told me they had some parts, and I paid for them, that were either not there or were not serviceable. Those parts cost me an additional $1700 last minut. That plus the 2 grand they are over from there original high estimate leaves me wanting the shops formans head on a platter. But they have me by the nuts until I get it back. Then I will look it all over and see if some legal action is needed, probally not worth the effort. I dont want something for nothing but the parts they sold me and did not have has me pissed as hell. I guess they think that 3700 bucks over budget when i have told them my budjet from the start is ok, it is actually piss poor communication and service.
    Last edited by hill160881; 03-12-2012 at 11:41 PM.

If your werent smog checked. I would have dropped a 4BT cummins in, twin turbo'd it, and call it a sleeper.

98hp ***ch please its torque.

Quote Originally Posted by hill160881
    I will wait on the next phase until i got it smoged and have driven it a bit before I find a different shop to do the injectors, cams......This shop does great work but are almost doble there original estimate and told me they had some parts, and I paid for them, that were either not there or were not serviceable. Those parts cost me an additional $1700 last minut. That plus the 2 grand they are over from there original high estimate leaves me wanting the shops formans head on a platter. But they have me by the nuts until I get it back. Then I will look it all over and see if some legal action is needed, probally not worth the effort. I dont want something for nothing but the parts they sold me and did not have has me pissed as hell. I guess they think that 3700 bucks over budget when i have told them my budjet from the start is ok, it is actually piss poor communication and service.

i would YELP them. send a detailed review in.

then send a copy of the review to the BBB and see what they can do.

small claims court/civil court takes money that sounds like you might not have in the budget, since you are already over.

my .02.

thanks,
    KNM.

I went to the shop today to get things finalized. I am scheduled to pick the car up next Friday. I won't hold my breath. This will likely be the last update until I get the car.

Shots of the front end.

Shot of the rear. I still don't know what they are planning for the sway bar.

Going to have to role the rear pretty good.