Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Non paintball build, toyota starlet build up(picture heavy)

Non paintball build, toyota starlet build up(picture heavy)

Some people over here like my projects so why not post this over here.

To start off with I will try to keep any info I gather during my build here in the thread. Links and such.
    I also ask for a little patients as I am new and still researching what I can find but much of this seems pretty old for this car.

Try to remember when mking suguestions I am in the USA in Ca. I envy the availability of parts and such over the big pond in Europe.

The starting goals are as such.
    -get my 02 audi TT roadster sold for some cash.
    -I want to get it reliable and driving first.
    -new rims and tires
    -Then I want to get the body work done. All rust gone and painted.
    -I want it to look as stock as possible on inside.
    -upgrad suspension and braking.
    -After all the above is done I may consider an engine swap or a rebuild for more power.
    Edit to the starting goals, as usual with me I cant go easy so its getting 200+ hp and all new driveline

Future goals are to get more power somewhere just over 100 hp. But only after i do the suspension and brakes.

So here is the starting car, got it for $750

The problem areas, and I believe most is just cosmetic work.

Mechanical issues
    -The car is 30 years old with only 115,000 miles on it so it sat alot.
    -The transmission howls in 4 of the 5 gears so it sat to long and the bearings rusted. Tranny is no good even though it is fully functional.
    -Has a very minor misfire associated with a bad carb base gasket.
    -radiator is leaking bad from the top inlet/outlet where it is soldered to the radiator.

Items ordered as of today.
    -guaranteed used tranny. $350+ delivery(had it rebuilt due to non availability of a used tranny)
    -clutch kit, (not the expensive one)
    -radiator(not one available)
    -Carpet kit
    -dyna padding and matting
    -All new race coil over suspension front and rear(remanufactured from used TRD parts)
    -strut tower support
    -camber adjusting plates
    -Larger upgraded brakes.(from AE86 corolla)

Questions I have. Sorry if these are covered in the forum and I will answer them my self if I beat someone to it. Thanks to anyone who helps take some of the leg work out of it.

-What cars have denotable parts for searching purposes online? Please tell where the cars are found, America, Europe.......
    AE-86 corolla. RWD Toyota Cellica

-What is a good radiator to swap for the old one, which cars specifically?

-Wheel and tire sizes that will fit without rubbing at stock hight?
    This is a source for wheels that actually fit(UK SOURCE)
    http://www.minilite.co.uk/products.htm

USA source
    http://www.minilitewheels.us/Wheels.aspx

-Where to find stock body parts as well as after market ones like the rear spoiler?

-What engines swap with little to no trouble? Like an older 2.0 or 22r?
    It looks like neither, the 4-age 16v is the best and most cost effective option for a powerful swap. They can be found for around $1500 with tranny.

-Is it worth it to try and get the power out of the origionla 4-K?
    No not really.

-Good source for strut bars? Only ones you have used preferably.
    http://www.technotoytuning.com/produ...hp?vehicleid=7

-How much can the stock tranny/rearend handle power wise?
    About 100hp.

-Brakes? Any info on what people upgrade to would be great.
    Get the brakes when you get the struts, they are not listed but are an additional $150

-What is the best suspension upgrade up front that will maintain stock ride hight?
    AE86 front struts with coil overs.

-any aftermarket interior components made?
    Not really if you want a stock look. So anything you can make fit from other vehicles.

The answer to the above questions are in the parts list
    -Engine- Any 4A-GE and the 4A-GZ, they install using available parts with no cutting into the firewall, other larger engines can be used but will take more effort to install. JDM are good engines. Always get an engine with FULL harness and ECU Ebay is a good source but call the company Prior to ordering to make sure the ECU is there and for shipping quotes. You should get all new main seals and cam seals and install them while it is easy. Same for any seal that can be easily accessed. Install new water pump and thermostat.

-Overdrive pulley for the super charger, with belt- Largest size drive pulley you can get. Purchased from Technotoytuning.

-Transmission- T50 - the corolla GTS and SR5 are the T50 so both work with the GTS bell housing. http://www.woodfins.com/

- Hydraulic Clutch- Slave cylinder and resevor are from a Honda Prelude

-Bellhousing- T50 corolla GTS bell housing from Technotoytuning. It is a salvage unit from a corolla GTS.

-starter plate- corolla GTS

-Short shifter kit, 50% throw reduction- from Technotoytuning

-Clutch- Any search for a 87 corolla GTS will find the clutch you want for this swap
    Exedy stage 1 modle number 16804B
    Exedy stage 2 model number 16954B

-Flywheel- Any search for a 87 corolla GTS will find the flywheel you want for this swap
    Cusco 83-87
    fidanza corolla gts 8 LB (google to find best price) http://www.fidanza.com/

-Suspension- Coil over struts, shocks, role center adjusters and camber plates, and steering knuckles- purchased from technotoytuning ( http://www.technotoytuning.com ) The struts/shocks are modified AE86 Corolla GTS units. To install them you need adaptor parts from Technotoytuning which is why I got everything from them as a set.

-Front Strut bar- purchased from technotoytuning

-AE86 complete front brakes- purchased from technotoytuning with the AE86 front strut/coilover setup. They are salvaged brakes from a corolla GTS and required for swaping to the GTS front struts. For the brakes you will need a set of GTS brake lines. Google will find the best deal on the lines.

-Front sway bar system- Adjustable lower control arms, Adjustable TC rods, adjustable tension sway bar. This kit requires all the suspension components above to be installed. (purchased from technotoytuning)

-4A-G engine mounts- purchased from technotoytuning, and a set of corolla GTS engine mounts. (google the gts mounts for source)

-Radiator- koyorad aluminum radiator for 84-87 corolla GTS, There are other all aluminum units available at half the price, but this was the one recommended by two different shops.http://www.koyorad.com/

-Water to air intercooler system. Any search for this item will locate them but you will need to make it fit so measure and order at your own risk. Get a Bosch upgrade pump as well. Here are the dimensions of the one I ordered.
    Heat Exchanger:
    - Overall size:31.5x9.5x3.5(end-tank) inch
    - Core Size:24x8x2.5 inch
    - Inlet and outlet sizes:3/4 (0.75) inch
    - Rows:2
    - Pressure Released Cap:1.1 Bar(16Lbs)
    Liquid Water to Air Intercooler:
    - Overall Size:12"x12.5"x4.5"
    - Core Size:10"x5"x4.5"
    - Inlet + Outlet:3"
    - Water feeding:0.75"
    The water circulation pump is a bosch cobra magnatic drive.Purchased from lingenfelter online. http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...w=&range_high=

-Rearend- AE86 corolla GTS with rebuilt TRD LSD(not SR5) with GTS brake lines for the new disk brakes. Other axles work like the Cellica and the RX7 but require shortening. They are heavy as well.

You will need other minor parts like custom drive shaft, exhaust and fuel pumps but the big ticket items are listed and I will add the smaller ones as I find out what they are.
    Last edited by hill160881; 01-30-2012 at 01:49 PM.

The engine bay

The engine compartment
    I have decided to swap the old engine for the supercharfed engine out of an MR2, the tranny/rearend from a AE86 corolla. This will bew a 200% power increase.

Today I ordered a new custom fit carpet for it. Ouch, 300 bucks. There were other options but i have used the company before and it is worth it. As I want this thing to have the feel of a newer car I opted for the mass backed extra heave weave. Also the dynapad and dynamat arrived. Total weight added to car is 37 lbs to achieve a totally silent ride.

Once the carpet arrives and I see it fits properly I will post a link in the first post.

Still waiting on the new suspension and brakes from technotoytuning and the tranny shop. The shop has had the car now for almost three weeks and they are close to paying for it to get towed to oakland. They said they got the parts last week, its a two hour reassembly, so if it is not done by monday afternoon things will get ugly for quality transmissions.:evil: I mean three weeks after telling me it would be 4 days. I am not a patient man and there excuse was total crap.

EditThe rear suspension arived yesterday and a family member forgot to mention.

Now these are just beasts for such a light car. hehe

There will be a pile of goodies to install soon at this rate.

This is what the new suspension looks like.
    Last edited by hill160881; 01-30-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Now for some interior work. Getting started on the dynamatting and padding. I will be waiting to fully finish the interior once the new engine and tranny are in place so I get the shifter in the right place.

This is the padding and it is very nice stuff.

Now since the interior is all flat paneling it is easy to reproduce with 1/8" masonite. It is what the factory uses. I will let the upholstery shop cover them when I have the seats redone as they will have matching material.
    Lay out the pieces to be copied. Mark and cut them out, then fit into place.

This will all attach with velcro for rapid removal at the races.:devious:

Need to trim and fit this side still

So now for the trunk bottom and since the old one was totally discinigrated so I have to make a new one from scratch. So out with the old scribing skills. Using several pieces of poster board I get the correct fit then trace it out on the 1/4" masonite and done. I will wait to carpet it until I get the carpet I ordered.

The Audi TT has sold and a shopping spree has commenced.

The parts list as it stands ordered and payed for.

-Engine- JDM 4A-GZE with harness and ECU, purchased from Ebay(assuming they actually ship it)165 hp. supercharged 1.6L.
    -Transmission- T50 SR5 purchased from woodfin(assuming they actually have it and ship it like they say)
    -Clutch- Exedy stage 2 model number 16954B purchased on Amazon
    -Flywheel- Exedy chromoly lightened flywheel modle number TR01, 10.8 pounds
    -Coil over struts, shocks, role center adjusters and camber plates- purchased from technotoytuning
    -AE86 complete front brakes- purchased from technotoytuning
    -Agze engine mounts and T50 bell housing- purchased from technotoytuning
    -Replacement carpet- purchased from stockinteriors.com
    -Dyna mat and pad- purchased from Amazon

Hope this list helps someone doing there own project. Simply google the terms after the "purchased from" or the model numbers I provided to find the parts.

I will be adding two upgrades to the engine to take it up another 60 wheel hp after the install. That will put it at around 220+ crank hp Still smog legal to according to the shop.
    -Over drive pulley set.
    -Mild Cams
    Last edited by hill160881; 11-21-2011 at 06:32 AM.

Well your posting this in the right spot cause mags are all around usefull...

sweet! apparently you are a man of many talents... cant wait to see how it turns out!

Cool project. But you may run in to issues with Cali smog regulations even with something that old. With a JDM engine it "should not" be legal but i am not sure how they will determine this in Cali. But it is an interesting project. I'll be out in the junk yards here (NJ) scrounging for different Toy parts ironically.

The emissions in japan are way more strict so it wont be an issue. The AW11(supercharged model) engines were all alike and there was not a euro or jap model. The only differences were the things bolted to it. The only thing needed is the Ca. cat and any smog components under the hood. According to the shop that is doing the swap it wont be an issue even with mild cams. This will be the second of these they have done this year. I am capable of doing it my self but I dont have the equipment so it would take forever. Also there is something to be said for professional work. I am no professional when it comes to cars unless it has to do with the audio.

Neat! I was hoping you would get into upholstery, my old truck is getting needy in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by hill160881
    Cool good to know. But that stuff is always an issue now. I have a BMW 7 series sitting in my bay right now getting retrofitted to US standards from Saudi standards, so far he has 27k in it total but who knows how much the retrofit will cost.

Good luck with the car too. looks like a nice sleeper project.

shoulda put a v8 in it

but on the real, as a certified toyota technician and a lover of older toyotas... i love this thread.

As to how sleepy it will be, very sleepy

Added some stuff

-Engine- JDM 4A-GZE with harness and ECU, purchased from Ebay(assuming they actually ship it)
    -Transmission- T50 SR5 purchased from woodfin(assuming they actually have it and ship it like they say)
    -Clutch- Exedy stage 2 model number 16954B purchased on Amazon
    -Flywheel- Exedy chromoly lightened flywheel modle number TF01(10.8 pounds in weight.)
    -Coil over struts, shocks, role center adjusters and camber plates- purchased from technotoytuning ( http://www.technotoytuning.com/produ...hp?vehicleid=7 )
    -AE86 complete front brakes- purchased from technotoytuning
    -Agze engine mounts and T50 corolla GTS bell housing- purchased from technotoytuning
    -Replacement carpet- purchased from stockinteriors.com ( http://www.stockinteriors.com/items....Starlet_Carpet )
    -Dyna mat and pad- purchased from Amazon
    -Radiator- Edit- koyo aluminum radiator purchased from Am Motorsports( http://www.amautosports.com/product....lla-ae86-r0747 )
    -Air to water intercooler system, from cxracing, 3" supports up to 1000 hp so waaaay over kill. These are way better than a standard intercooler. They reduce boost pressure on the engine and add power at the same time.
    -Finally got a GTS rearend with disk brakes
    Still need wheels and tires.

Hope this list helps someone doing there own project. Simply google the terms after the "purchased from" or the model numbers I provided to find the parts.

DISCLAIMER: If any parts dont fit or work I will update the parts list so until then nothing is for certain. As is usual in this kind of buildup.
    Last edited by hill160881; 11-21-2011 at 09:32 PM.

between the clutch/flywheel, overdrive pullys and the air to water intercooler system I have already added 50+ wheel HP. Putting it close to 200. I have not even added cams yet.

The nice part is I am still running stock boost pressure with 4 psi to go. There is still another 50+ WHP hp to come out without a rebuild. In a 1700 pound car there will be 200+ WHP.

Going whip a Nissan GTR when Im done Or any other production car not made by VW.
    Last edited by hill160881; 11-20-2011 at 08:11 PM.

smaller pulley=faster spinning charger=more boost

JDM motor huh? punch it 30 over, add some cams, add exhaust.

i hope you have a sweet timing light. get your hands on a snap-on or blue point one, and time it at say... 5500 rpms? sounds good.

hope you dont snap the 4 lug set up on them there wheels speedy...
    Last edited by mag_lover09; 11-20-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Once the car is finished I will start acquiring the parts for a Engine rebuild, and once that is done it will be evil for sure. I already have the specs I want figured out.

11 to 1 compression, sodium valves, pullet proof lower end, aggressive cams and 14 psi boost. Dont forget the intake and injector. Should be nasty and around 300+ WHP and totally dependable. No dam rice with this compression and boost level, only raw power.

With this setuo it would do 0-60 in sub 3s,,,hehe.
    Last edited by hill160881; 11-20-2011 at 08:46 PM.

why not 10:1?

i did a head gasket and a timing belt on 4AG in a 1985 MRdeuce with no air tools or anything special, in a garage. sucked so bad i hope i never see one of those motors again.

if you get up in the 130mph range the front end of that car will probly lift up if you get a wind in your direction.... im dead serious. be careful.

Actually they go really fast without down-forcers. But ya I get it, haha.

This is insane, yes that is 192 mph at 7 seconds.
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZV_RODVZkWo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i didnt say the wouldnt go fast... im telling you if you decide to run it on the freeway one night late with a liquid friend in you it'll put you into a wall and a body cast lickin shots from hypodermic needles cuz its so light

but i like it so far... cant wait to see the outcome

Quote Originally Posted by mag_lover09
    i didnt say the wouldnt go fast... im telling you if you decide to run it on the freeway one night late with a liquid friend in you it'll put you into a wall and a body cast lickin shots from hypodermic needles cuz its so light

but i like it so far... cant wait to see the outcome

Yep learned that the hard way in a built Z28 camero one night in highschool. Never floor an automatic with 400 hp on the freeway at 80. I saw god that night. lol Did not damage anything but almost ended really bad.

Thankfully i cant drink anymore but never needed it to do something really stupid.

yea, mine was similar. if your front left tire blows out in a 100% blind cut-back goin 50+ you will hit a wall real hard

i miss the subaru

The parts pile as of right now. The rest should be here by Wednesday.
    Last edited by hill160881; 11-21-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Sweet looking good. I personally prefer air to air, but i tend to have turbo cars. I just retired a 370 whp (@16lbs of boost) Saab 9-3 . That was a fun little (ok not light but littleish) car 10.17 in the quarter with death inspiring torque steer off the line. I finally got that problem fixed to run a 9.40 and promptly get kicked off the track again for no cage. All of this with no check engine light and 28 mpg only 2 down from new but the chassis just couldn't handle the stress. But man was that car a sleeper i ran out of balls to push the car befor i ran out power. Makes me actually want to do a second one but weld up all the seems this time,

EDIT: I think the guy with the starlet needs a wider wheelie bar and i do like how he is able to heat the track up for him self.

Air to air is great but I can put a 1 gallon can packed with ice in line of the heat exchanger for drag and get another 40 HP(with no extra stress on the engine). Also water to air is more effective for daily driving, and the reason I am using such a masive system that would feed a V8 is to avoid the Heat soak problems. Air to air is lighter but wieght is not a real issue, and I can get an air to air for 100 bucks if this one is to heavy. Also Air to air is usless under 80 mph according to the charts I have seen, and water to air works from the start.

Water to air is more problematic though as there are two radiators and the risk of leakes. But tracking down a boost leak in an air to air is next to impossible. They both have there pluses and minuses I guess..

That SAB sounds fun, and ya, I wont last but one run before i am told to get a cage. O well

wheres the rifle going? i dont think that will work as a strut brace. better put that in your passenger seat

More parts arriving

Water air intercooler and the ceramic clutch with racing lightweight fly wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by hill160881

I know what you mean. I think the highest i ever had IAT was 160 under full boost though. The turbo wouldn't even start to produce boost until around 40 or so. But yes for you application i think the Air to water will work better, and Ice is nice. Good luck with the car and keep it between the lines even after the cage.

The brakes, callipers and roters arived today along with the overdrive pully from Technotoytuning.

The radiator arrived and it is very nice. But for 300 bucks it better be.

The flywheel is not going to work, the bolt holes are off by two mm, I dont know why I waited this long to check this, i have had them for almost a a week.

So the flywheel goes back and I order a different one that will no doubt be more expensive.

Edit: yep got the Cusco flywheel an it was 600 by it self. These are the kind parts I dont want to cheap out on. Things that spin are worth it to take the weight out of.

Another point is I am including my mistakes so others learn from them as well. They happen even if they are usually omitted from threads. Live and learn. Then forget again.

So the parts list and total dammage

-Engine- JDM 4A-GZE with harness and ECU, purchased from Ebay(assuming they actually ship it) $1850 with FWD tranny and delivered
    -Transmission- T50 SR5 purchased from woodfin(assuming they actually have it and ship it like they say) $635 delivered
    -Clutch- Exedy stage 2 model number 16954B purchased on Amazon $300 delivered
    -Flywheel- Cusco light weight flywheel for 83-87 corolla $600 delivered
    -Coil over struts, shocks, role center adjusters and camber plates- purchased from technotoytuning ( http://www.technotoytuning.com/produ...hp?vehicleid=7 ) About $1500
    -Front Strut bar- purchased from technotoytuning $120
    -AE86 complete front brakes- purchased from technotoytuning $150
    -Agze engine mounts and T50 corolla GTS bell housing- purchased from technotoytuning, around $250
    -Replacement carpet- purchased from stockinteriors.com ( http://www.stockinteriors.com/items....Starlet_Carpet ) $300
    -Dyna mat and pad- purchased from Amazon $300
    -Radiator- Edit- koyo aluminum radiator purchased from Am Motorsports( http://www.amautosports.com/product....lla-ae86-r0747 ) $305
    -Overdrive 175mm pulley from technotoytuning, $150
    -Water/air intercooler and upgraded Bosch pump, $500
    -Corolla GTS rear axle and disk brakes $300
    -konig rewind wheels 14x7 +9 offset (Ebay) $500
    -Tires-Cooper cobra 215/60/R14 $260

So the total parts came to $7720 prior to install.

I hope to get most of this installed for no more than $3500 and what does not make it into this amount I can do later myself. After this I will need to recoup financially for a few months, and I need to move to Sacramento.
    Last edited by hill160881; 11-27-2011 at 12:01 AM.

How flush are you gonna make this thing I'm really excited to see it done. If I ever come down to visit mook I'd like to meet you and see this bad boy. Can't wait to see it all put toghter