Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Non paintball build, toyota starlet build up(picture heavy)

Thanks. It just takes keeping your head down and on task. And some skill with your hands. I am spending less than most do on a new car these days and having some fun at the same time.

The last fitting before I start to finish the audio. This will wait until i have time to install the new seats and carpet however. But it is fully functional at the moment and will loosen teeth.
    I also re-did the seat to match the rest of the car with the same fabric/vinyl paint. It looks a bit shiny until it fully cures in a day or so. Then it looks just like normal.

You can see the location of the sub-amp

I moved the mid-high amp down to get it under the sub box to allow for the cover pieces.

And thats it for today.

my 1000W rockford gets hot in this texas heat, i know you probably thought about this but be sure to allow for some ventilation, don't want that/those amps to fry...

I look forward to visiting this thread for every update, GREAT WORK HILL!

Thanks.

The heat is why I go with amps WAY to big, I dont over drive them. Also I use the old school type amps with large heat sinks. These are based on technology 30 years old and are designed to run hotter with minimal air flow. They are not digital but as I built a loud system, not a clarity system, I dont need to mess with digital equipment. I have around $1200 in the entire system and it is as much for show as sound. I like over the top if its clean looking.

I am taking a brake for the week and will resume the work next weekend when I will start to tackle the 5 point harnesses, seats, and carpet.

I may have some closure by the end of the month in the interior.

I also have a new set of rotors on the way with new pads. I already put a new caliper on the driver side last week.

I have discovered that the engine is not warming up all the way. In fact it drives down the road to cold. It just lifts the needle in fact and normal temp is 12 noon and around 185. This,,,,,,God I Hope,,,,,, is waht is causing the mixture problem. If I allow it to fully warm up before I take off it runs perfectly. Even if it cools down once i start driving it. It idles perfectly when warm to. So now i check the thermostat and prey that is the problem.

Here is the seat. I am not sure I like the way they will look. I will wait until a good long test drive to make my final choice. Feel pretty good in the driveway.

WOW, seat looks gorgeous but i thought you were going with all grey interior?

These were cheap and will work for track days and until i have the extra 600 bucks to have the original seats re-done in grey. I am still not sure about them though.

Quote Originally Posted by hill160881
    These were cheap and will work for track days and until i have the extra 600 bucks to have the original seats re-done in grey. I am still not sure about them though.
    They look comfy as ****, like a bucket seat not to mention, you're gonna need some arms on your chair when your whippin it around corners at 90mph lol

They are pretty comfortable considering. I have decided after an hour long drive today that these are here to stay. So the interior is now grey with black seats. The new black seat belts are on order.

How they are installed.

LOL as usual i have the absolutely cheapest tools you can buy.

$100 welder from HF.

A cordless recep saw with 1&1/2" by 3/16" strap. A bit overkill I know but i had it already.

The off set bracket for the rear of the passenger seat. This keeps it level when the mounting points are not.

The assembly once welded onto the sliders.

The front part mounting both seats is the same L shaped piece but one side on each seat has an offset due to the sliders being closer together on the new seats.

This is how I did the rear of the driver seat as they were both different. I used a 17mm socket as a 1" washer and ground it at an angle to match the way the old mounting point angled.

How they look. Only $250 and two hours time. HELL OF A DEAL!

Next will be the dreaded carpet and dash But very soon the nasty brown will be,,,, GONE!

WOW, stunning! You have a knack for this hill! I await email notifications on your next post as always!

Thumbs up

Only $250 for the seats? Get me a set for my dunebuggy already!

Nice work man...

DM

LOL. I wish you would put that buggy together already. We could go to some track days or an autocross.

I got these rear roters from CQUENCE Performance but dont recomend them as they screwed up two orders in a row and tried to convince me that the corolla GTS had a 4 x 87.5 mm bolt patern up front and a 4 x 114 in the rear. I lost 30 bucks in return shipping:bullocks: I will just have to find another company for the front rotors.

They look better than the spiral pattern most use these days.

The first thing I did today was to install the carpet. YUMMMM.

MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE

WOW, all of a sudden it doesn't look like someone mutilated a decaying pigeon in there

here we go my friends! The last brown is the seat belts/latches and the Ebrake handle.

What do you think? Did I get it right?

Before

After

Before

After

MAHAHAHAHAHA

wow, thats one hell of a transformation

I LIKE IT !!!

Thanks

Its kind of wierd. I have always wanted to build a car and be able to actually get to this point. Its the point where I am ACTUALLY driving the car, not just in my head and not pretending in the driveway anymore, Never thought i would be able to stay on task long enough to complete something like this. I tend to leave things half way done and then sell it off. In the past I worked on big audio systems in some sick cars and wished I was working on my car. Its been a long 8 months since I drove it home, all original. I am far from done, if I will ever be done, as now I have to finish up the audio and then move onto phase 3 the body work and paint. Also the interior plastic components(dash, trim and such) are in such bad condition from sun decay that I will need to replace them as I find ones in better condition, but they will be piece by piece online at random most likely. So the project will probably continue for a long time to come.
    Last edited by hill160881; 06-24-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Today I am starting to finish up the back trunk area where the sub, battery, amps, and capacitor are located.

First I clean up the wiring.

Test fit the lower panel against all the trim pieces

Then carpet it.

Once done I start to install everything trying to get it in the right order.

Then after the sub is locked in place and centered I begin the cover panels.

These are my weapons.

Once i have the cardboard traces cut into shape I coppy it onto 1/4" Birch plywood and cut it out. Then I fit it to see if any trimming is needed. I am not sure I like how it looks but i will wait untill i have it all covered to make my final judgement..

Like i said, I like over the top audio. lol

I have already cut out the foam and vinyl so I only need some more glue to finish it up and see if I like it. I can always change it.
    Last edited by hill160881; 06-26-2012 at 08:57 AM.

The seat belts arrived this afternoon.

They were not a direct bolt in and required me to straiten a L mount provided in the hardware and bolt it to the retractor. Also They dont fully retract but close enough.

Dear me those look good! :-D

They came with new shoulder mounts and matching covers.

Air plane style latches. I like allot!

Quick question, why did you go with stock seatbelt over a harness? Harness would've been much more comfy in those seats...

i like the airplane style buckles! i have to say this is quite a fun project to follow Hill... i think you need your own TV show customizing stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by sQuidvision
    i like the airplane style buckles! i have to say this is quite a fun project to follow Hill... i think you need your own TV show customizing stuff!
    Podcast would be easier and free

Hahaha, thanks. This will be the last big project for a while I think.

With a 5 point you cant reach anything on the dash and they are illegal in most states. So when i found these I jumped at them. They were way easier to install and safer than a bottom mount 5 point setup.

I covered the panels only to discover I dont really like the way it totally closes off the rear. I have another design in mind but it will wait until I tare it down again in a month or so. But this requires the battery to be relocated a bit.

The cap location for now.

This is how it will look. I plan to put blue lights in the gaps in the rear. They will be turned on by the opening of the hatch lid.

Hahaha, thanks. This will be the last big project for a while I think.

With a 5 point you cant reach anything on the dash and they are illegal in most states. So when i found these I jumped at them. They were way easier to install and safer than a bottom mount 5 point setup.
    I did not know they had been outlawed in any state... Don't race car drivers use those types of harnesses in their stock cars, indy cars, etc etc??? I mean i know their helmet is basically teathered to the seat so they don't get whiplash but i thought the harness was a safety standard in high speed cars like you're building.

Excuse the ignorance, hill

I covered the panels only to discover I dont really like the way it totally closes off the rear. I have another design in mind but it will wait until I tare it down again in a month or so. But this requires the battery to be relocated a bit.

The cap location for now.

This is how it will look. I plan to put blue lights in the gaps in the rear. They will be turned on by the opening of the hatch lid.
    Another quick question, in terms of hearing the bass and not just feeling it, have you heard the variations in the sound with the hatch closed and with it open? I noticed when i had my stereo installed in my 3000GT that if i would've went with a box option, instead of a tilted enclosure/face-up enclosure, that i'd be battering the rear panels of my car on a regular basis... not to mention the sound waves collapsing back on themselves when it ricochets off the back wall of your trunk will get a little distortion that could be mistaken for your woofer later...

If you're familiar w/ my car the way the back hatch has a "bubble" shape to it, it's perfect for a flat box enclosure with the woofer facing upwards, so the bass actually bounces off my window and increases the sound profile tremendously...

Just a thought...

The reason a 5 point harnes would be so dangerous is it would not be installed correctly with the shoulder mounts directly behind the shoulder. I would have to mount them to the floor which could cause compression injuries. Most racing clubs require what ever comes factory in the car if it is road registered and usually three point is fine for timed laps. I checked with several organasations to be sure.

As for facing the sub up. Well I don't like upward facing woofers. It would take up more vertical space and in this car it looses nothing by pointing it backwards. I tried pointing it up and I think it hits harder backwards I think. It's also just a personal thing and the rear of the car is dynamatted. It has no distortion at any sound level and is very smooth. People smile with a hard tone and lights of on coming cars separate at night. Lol. It's hard to sit in it at 36hz. It is designed as a kind of band pass with the hatch closed.

The one downfall of the w7 is they are deep. The plus is they pound like no other.

The reason a 5 point harnes would be so dangerous is it would not be installed correctly with the shoulder mounts directly behind the shoulder. I would have to mount them to the floor which could cause compression injuries. Most racing clubs require what ever comes factory in the car if it is road registered and usually three point is fine for timed laps. I checked with several organasations to be sure.

As for facing the sub up. Well I don't like upward facing woofers. It would take up more vertical space and in this car it looses nothing by pointing it backwards. I tried pointing it up and I think it hits harder backwards I think. It's also just a personal thing and the rear of the car is dynamatted. It has no distortion at any sound level and is very smooth. People smile with a hard tone and lights of on coming cars separate at night. Lol. It's hard to sit in it at 36hz.

The one downfall of the w7 is they are deep. The plus is they pound like no other.
    Good show my friend, good show indeed

That recessed amp, that thing doesn't heat up like crazy? or do you have some type of ventilation on the underside?

No ventilation. I have driven it hard for over an hour with no heat issues, remember the rms for this sub is only 300 watts and has been known to hit as high as 139db when properly set up, the w7 is a beast. If heat becomes an issue I will install some computer fans.

No ventilation. I have driven it hard for over an hour with no heat issues, remember the rms for this sub is only 300 watts. If heat becomes an issue I will install some computer fans.
    That's EXACTLY what i was going to suggest... 12v computer fans, like 2-4 80MM's would be MORE than enough to keep air moving across the case of the amp...

Don't even have to tell you ****, just watch it unfold

More beautiful updates, Hill.... thank you!!!

You really screwed up Tracy. Where in the hell are you to put your gear bag or your mini gun???? You ever plan on making it out to anymore big games in Davis or playing in general? The car is coming along real nice. Watching your car build inspired me to get my 1968 VW Westfalia Bus back on the road. I have been driving it for the last few weeks after it sat in my garage for the last 6-7 years. A rear wheel bearing just took a dump, so it will sit another few weeks until I can replace both sides. Fun job on a old bus. Axel nut is 46mm and it is torqued on like a mofo.