Thread: Anyone ever build a pneumatic safety?

Anyone ever build a pneumatic safety?

So I once posted about potential problems with a mechanical safety on a pneumag. Now that I've tuned my trigger to where I like it, I'm finding there's so little travel at the safety I just can't have faith in it.

The on off ASA does work of course, and I'm going to run with that for now...

but before I get parts anno'd, I want to at least consider other options.

Has anyone ever tried to put a (edit) two position valve on a pneumatic trigger circuit?

Vent the ram in one position, connect the ram to the trigger valve in the other.

I have to think that around here someone would have at least tinkered...

Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Last edited by Spiritchaser; 07-27-2014 at 07:07 PM.

My normal safety has always worked. butttttt somehting like this might work for you http://www.argyleloco.com.au/images/alw219.jpg
    Last edited by yellowmitten; 07-27-2014 at 07:08 PM.

My trigger has about 0.008" of travel at the bottom tip.

It's possible to see the safety tab move

But...

Cyco-Dude Guest
    i wonder if it would be better to mod the frame to have a safety like the emags / hyperframes? the safety on those don't stop the trigger, they actually stop the sear.

You need to set it up a little differently. You can make the safety work,but you will have to change the trigger actuating rod a bit.

Maybe a trigger stop to adjust forward movement, and a slightly shorter pin?

First off thanks for all the replies

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    You need to set it up a little differently. You can make the safety work,but you will have to change the trigger actuating rod a bit.
    I currently have the rod set to just a little beyond the release point of the marker, I could minimize over travel a wee bit more but I want to have a little room for wear.

That being said, post travel doesn't really make much difference with a safety.

The forward travel set screw can be backed off of course, and this can increase trigger swing to almost anything...

But I've tuned this trigger to where it's just about perfect for me, and I'd rather do more work than give that up

Plus I can out shoot my wife on her mini and I'd like to keep it that way.

i think the emag safety is the way to roll.... proven system that works and u arent making any risks with it!

wat trieer frame are you using? any pics of the current set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by need4reebs View Post
    wat trieer frame are you using? any pics of the current set-up?
    Heh, it's actually the airwalk you helped me find a year and a half ago

Though it has changed a bit since then
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  76.6 KB
Views: 68
Size:  77.7 KB
Views: 59
Size:  70.7 KB
Views: 66
Size:  50.8 KB
Views: 56
Size:  62.5 KB

use a longer trigger rod and then re-adjust the trigger stops.

has it been a year and a half already?

It's been a while

I can change the rod to reposition the safety tab or (more likely) file it to where I want it, but there is very little motion at all at the tab with such minimal trigger pull

On Friday I'm going to play around increasing the pre travel until it feels slow and see if maybe I can make it work

The trigger is a home built, I plan on making it work. I'd much rather file it, and keep the trigger right at the back of the trigger area for more room.

The trigger rod is delrin, and very easy to work with, but I don't think that on its own can do what I need

will the safety work/fit if tha top trigger stop isn't screwed in so much or at all?

Absolutely, but I lose the magical trigger, or perhaps just some measure of it.

I'm going to look into the emag style safety. In principle it looks perfect, but given where the ram is, I'm not sure where it could fit here.
    I've poked a bit Into those detented switches, but given space constraints, compromise may be unavoidable.

Or I fill the hole with something and continue to use the on off.

Update

Got it working

I adjusted the general position of the active travel by filing the trigger safety tab

Then I adjusted the safety travel by filing the safety pin to move safe and fire a bit closer together

I still have a bit more travel than I want, but I can sneak up on the perfect compromise one file stroke at a time

It's not quite true that one file stroke too many and the pin is junk, I still have a few hairs off wiggle room with the rod

But a mechanical safety that is even a little dubious is worse than useless so...

Edit
    In retrospect this could probably have been done with just the trigger tab but... Ah well it's working
    Last edited by Spiritchaser; 08-09-2014 at 05:21 AM.