Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man-Cave pics?

Man-Cave pics?

So I am finally in a house where I am able to have an office to my own that I can partially turn into a man-cave. Looking for a way to display my collection. While it is not as extensive as some I have seen, I have a good 8-10 markers that I would like to display. Black painted pegboard seems the be the most logical route, but looking for some other ideas as well.

Trying to allow for storage of other stuff as well, tanks, masks, etc.

Let see what ya got.

I like slatwalls better. Even for a smaller collection:

This is my "Classic Semis and Brazilian Markers" wall.

14 guns, plus the mask project that never really took off and the two tanks baskets.

I saw that stuff at the hardware store. Looks good, but is about 4x the price of pegboard. It does look nicer though. Wonder how well it would paint?

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    I saw that stuff at the hardware store. Looks good, but is about 4x the price of pegboard. It does look nicer though. Wonder how well it would paint?
    Slatwall is worth it - you can do shelves or pegs and it tends to be sturdier. Paints fine; think particle board.

I have looked at it at Lowes and looks to be MDF or something similiar. The white coating is pretty slick, I would have concerns about paint adhering to it.

My new mancave, not quite done yet.

As for slat wall, I've found plenty on CL in my area.
    Lots of places rehabing old stores and selling off the display setups.

My mancave is small and my collection modest, but still, it's my place to hide from the wife and kids

I really like it Hook! I try to keep my garage looking like that where everything has its place and it all goes back to where I found it before I walk away. It keeps me calm. LOL

I think your mat is just slightly crooked.

Hook, that looks a little too clean. You need some random parts/projects on that counter

Excellent Transformers poster!

My mancave is also unfinished. It's actually my doghouse, literally. I've got a Vizsla and two German Shorthaired Pointers with indoor/outdoor kennels attached to my garage. So the inside kennel is my area. It's about 15'x40' with dual wash basin and restroom and a mini fridge. It still needs a lot of work though. I need to finish putting up the FRP board, install a door on the restroom/storage area, build my workbench and pegboard wall, put in a gun safe, put up cabinets over my workbench, put in a full sized refrigerator, get a small flat screen TV on the wall (everything is pre-wired ready to go), and find an old leather couch. Once it's all done I can finally clean and organize all my parts and tools. It will be used for paintball, reloading shotgun shells, and other miscellaneous projects. The workbench I envision will look a lot like what Hook pictured above.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeyew
    Hook, that looks a little too clean. You need some random parts/projects on that counter
    Haha, I'm a clean freak, everything is always neat and tidy. Projects and parts are all hiding in those cupboards filled with either paintball or computer-related parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat15k
    Excellent Transformers poster!
    Thanks! Next to paintball, Transformers is the other reason why my wallet is always empty

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    I have looked at it at Lowes and looks to be MDF or something similiar. The white coating is pretty slick, I would have concerns about paint adhering to it.
    I've seen/used MDF stuff at work - it takes latex paint easily enough if it's unfinished, but most of it tends to come with a fingernail-thick coating of god-knows-what already applied to the face surfaces and it can be painted or have felt applied as needed. If you buy particle board slatwall you can pick the color veneer you want for the face or get the vinyl coated stuff they use in stores.

Mine is a mess. Tiny work shop that is filled with car parts and lawn equipment.
    I DO clean it every year though.

My powder coating equipment takes up a lot of room, as well as the car parts.

now thats a man cave!

I just got my CO this week on my house.
    I will be moving in tomorrow! (Thank friggen god!)

I already have a bench kit down stairs and a long check-out counter for work space in the basement.

I will be contributing to this thread over the winter :-)

Paying a mortgage has its benefits

My man cave was in a storage room in my basement.
    I have since turned it into a bed room for my oldest daughter.
    I moved a wall over about 3 1/2 feet so now my in house man cave is behind the furnace in the laundry room.

I still have to finish it off, need to get my peg board up, shelves built and hook the power up to my plugs.

I spy an Optimash Prime!

LOL!
    In the First pic there is a box on top of the table that is on top of the freezer that has my old Transformers from when I was a kid.
    I want to get a shelf built specifically for a few that I want to keep like JetFire ,PredaKing and the Starwars Transformers I have.

Well... my man cave is not at my house... its my place of work as well, i do all my tuning/testing of guns here as well because i have access to about anything you could imagine. The drawer slides on the black snap-on (blue point) cart are painted to an exact match of the green on my matco box...

mini-fridge being the most important thing in this picture
    Last edited by mag_lover09; 11-20-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mag_lover09
    Well... my man cave is not at my house... its my place of work as well, i do all my tuning/testing of guns here as well because i have access to about anything you could imagine. The drawer slides on the black snap-on (blue point) cart are painted to an exact match of the green on my matco box...

mini-fridge being the most important thing in this picture
    The mini frigde is always the most important thing in the picture. My cave is currently off limits due to a nice little red sports car that live there in the winter. So right now it is the down stairs living room and a small deck.

I can't tune my guns at work don't have the room after all the top of my Matco box have most of a Ithica m37 on it at work. once i get the firing pin made it will be going for a reblue and a newish stock change. Kind of funny really cant have a paintball gun at work but a 50 year old working shot gun well thats ok.

some other techs there have loaded glock .40's, theres a few 1911's, and i have a tomahawk and a kukari in mine.

everyone stopped when i had the mag up there and was like "what the is that"

Actually i just finished fitting the gun back together. Unknow to me as i tossed a snap cap on to check the action one of the customers was fish bowling us....

And called the cops. Opps that was a very interesting conversation with johnny law.

awh man, no one has jetskis, motorcycles or cool cars?
    Shoot it like you stole it!
    [IMG]Sig image must be under 20kb[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by sjrtk
    Actually i just finished fitting the gun back together. Unknow to me as i tossed a snap cap on to check the action one of the customers was fish bowling us....

And called the cops. Opps that was a very interesting conversation with johnny law.
    I don't know what the laws are in NJ, but here in IL (probably the worst state for the 2nd Amendment) you're okay in your own place of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratzo
    My man cave was in a storage room in my basement.
    I have since turned it into a bed room for my oldest daughter.
    I moved a wall over about 3 1/2 feet so now my in house man cave is behind the furnace in the laundry room.

I still have to finish it off, need to get my peg board up, shelves built and hook the power up to my plugs.
    WOW hoard much!! LOL JK

Quote Originally Posted by sjrtk

Quote Originally Posted by Zumina
    awh man, no one has jetskis, motorcycles or cool cars?
    Cool Cars???

Quote Originally Posted by mag_lover09
    That was my reaction about a min after the cop got there. His reply after walking in and seeing me was, "Is that a Ithica 37?! I had a 20 gauge when I was a kid how much do you want for it?"

I told him after i get it reblued and get some quail I'll sell it to him. So that is 400 in my pocket in a few months. If he still wants it I do know were there are 2 more for sale cheap to.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    I don't know what the laws are in NJ, but here in IL (probably the worst state for the 2nd Amendment) you're okay in your own place of business.
    NJ is I think top 3 against the 2nd. But seeing some one just toss what looks like a shell in a shotgun and just rack the slide. Well i guess it was a little unnerving.

Update in this thread.

As promised, I had built (started) my new man cave in the basement of my new house!

A little run down on the bench of my design:

4 feet deep by 8 feet wide
    Top slab frame made of 4x4" pressure treated lumber
    Vertical legs made of 4x4" pressure treated lumber
    2 sheets of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together with 1.25" screws 6" apart
    1 sheet of white laminate glued down for the finished top. No holes in it.
    Shelves are 25" spaced from top slab to bottom of 2x4" to allow for storage containers drawers
    Upper shelf is about a 12" space for small bins and parts

(Things you cant really see):
    *Direct Wired 10 outlets (2 on the left and right sides of the shelves, 3 on the left and right hand sides of the top slab front face)
    *Low voltage outlet for CATV and Ethernet
    *Stereo system (I had an extra head unit from along time ago, so its mounted under the right hand side of the shelf, I need to mount the speakers and get a inverter for the voltage)
    *4 lights on the top of the bench (I went with Halogens rather than strip lights. These bulbs are cheaper, and last just as long. They are the same brightness level as long as your calculate your distance to work surface and the lumen of each bulb. Thats why I also went with a white top surface, to reflect some of the luminous light up and out)
    *Light switch is under the top slab in the middle

(I still need to):
    *Run a high pressure to low pressure dedicated whip from the scuba tanks under the right side to the top of the table (plan to have dedicated air for testing pneumatic parts)
    *Add a trim edged bumper around the front and sides with a pad to prevent parts from rolling around off the table and the pad to help with my elbows and upper chest when leaning on the table sitting in a chair)

I've been cleaning out the basement and sorting through all the paintball stuff and personal items one area at a time. After 2 days, this is what it looks like:

Still no done working on the finishes, but you get the idea where Im going with this!