Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedge design.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando
    The problem with a sharper angle is you start having clearance issues with your tank and the back end of the marker.
    I agree 100%, a greater angle would be problematic to markers that extend past the back of the trigger frame much or used a trigger frame aside from a 45-90 so the 30 degree wedge angle would probably be the way to go. Its just a personal preference that if possible an angle greater then 30 degrees would be a more cotmfortable option. Im hesitant to throw this out there for scrutiny but since this thread is about comming up with wedge option ideas I will, has anyone thought about crossing the wedge design with a cradle rail system? It would be adjustable e individual marker setup and would keep the tank centered with the rest of the marker. Just throwing it out there.

How hard would it be to make it a two pc design where the two halves are held together with a bolt and the mating sides are a ratchet design? I can't think of a good reference that everyone would know, but think something along the lines of the MM2K9 breach, but with more settings. This way it would be adjustable and might appeal to a wider audience.

I’m going to put lots of smiley faces here so no one gets their feelings stepped on.

No offence to anyone that is contributing to the ideas here, but we are drifting away from my intent of the thread. I'm not asking for design ideas, what I'm after is "part function ideas" if that makes sense.

I have many ideas on how to make the part adjustable in everyway necessary. If you guys can tell me what function and what problems you have with the wedge designs that are out there now, I will try to design a part to the standards which you guys deem important.

My only real problem is I have never used this part myself so I don’t have a reference to the pros and cons of its intended function.

Remember form follows function.
    Also, making references to other products does not do me any good unless someone wants to send them to me to use for reference.

Here is what I have gathered from the input so far:

A. Basic idea behind the wedge is to shorten the marker horizontally.
    B. I'm also guessing that the tank resting on the shoulder stabilizes the marker for firing.
    C. Problem area: Wrist angle.
    D. A single angle will not suit every frame, i.e. 45, 90*, Y or the Z grip.

When we get closer I will start doing mock ups so I figure out some of the issues myself, I just have a few projects ahead of it so it give me some time to gather your likes and dislikes.

I’ve ran into this for many years (not just in paintball) people come to me and ask me to make something and the first thing they start with is how to design and go about making the part, my response is always the same “tell me what you want it to do, not how to design or make it”.

what i want it to do D.

seems like the NDZ works good with just about every frame out there why not tweek it a little so there is no problems legally.small smiley face so nobody's feelings get hurt

Wrist Angle Problem

I would think that this product is'nt for everybody out there. So who ever is comfortable with the angle usually purchases one and whoever is uncomfortable with the wrist angle can choose not to purchase it. your never gonna make everybody happy with a product unless it is a one-off to suit that particular individual. So that being said it seems like majority have had no problems with the NDZ wedge. the only problem is that they are not going to make them anymore yet some of us are still in the market for them so i hope that helps answer any questions of what is in demand for this product. just my 2 cents

I've not used one, but was considering it. I am not sure of what angle is best, thus my idea for adjustability. I also thought part of the reason for the angle was resting it on the shoulder helped with weight distribution resulting in less fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    I've not used one, but was considering it. I am not sure of what angle is best, thus my idea for adjustability. I also thought part of the reason for the angle was resting it on the shoulder helped with weight distribution resulting in less fatigue.
    yeah the shoulder resting is very sweet! you get in nice and tight behind the gun

New Designz drop kick.

Got 3 myself.

The angle is just right.

Quote Originally Posted by luke
    I’m going to put lots of smiley faces here so no one gets their feelings stepped on.

No offence to anyone that is contributing to the ideas here, but we are drifting away from my intent of the thread. I'm not asking for design ideas, what I'm after is "part function ideas" if that makes sense.

I have many ideas on how to make the part adjustable in everyway necessary. If you guys can tell me what function and what problems you have with the wedge designs that are out there now, I will try to design a part to the standards which you guys deem important.

My only real problem is I have never used this part myself so I don’t have a reference to the pros and cons of its intended function.

Remember form follows function.
    Also, making references to other products does not do me any good unless someone wants to send them to me to use for reference.

Here is what I have gathered from the input so far:

A. Basic idea behind the wedge is to shorten the marker horizontally.
    B. I'm also guessing that the tank resting on the shoulder stabilizes the marker for firing.
    C. Problem area: Wrist angle.
    D. A single angle will not suit every frame, i.e. 45, 90*, Y or the Z grip.

When we get closer I will start doing mock ups so I figure out some of the issues myself, I just have a few projects ahead of it so it give me some time to gather your likes and dislikes.

I’ve ran into this for many years (not just in paintball) people come to me and ask me to make something and the first thing they start with is how to design and go about making the part, my response is always the same “tell me what you want it to do, not how to design or make it”.

hey Luke thanks for taking on this project! the drop kick is a great wedge, but i agree with Ando that to much of a Angle on a Z-grip frame and it starts to interfere with the back of the marker! the Z-grip frame is the only frame i have to take my tank off to easily get to the valve cause of where the angle of the drop kick puts the tank? so far thats the only con for the drop kick that i kno of we except you rarely find them...haha...its gonna be kool to see what you come up with! thanks man!!!

dovetail

Quote Originally Posted by need4reebs
    hey Luke thanks for taking on this project! the drop kick is a great wedge, but i agree with Ando that to much of a Angle on a Z-grip frame and it starts to interfere with the back of the marker! the Z-grip frame is the only frame i have to take my tank off to easily get to the valve cause of where the angle of the drop kick puts the tank? so far thats the only con for the drop kick that i kno of we except you rarely find them...haha...its gonna be kool to see what you come up with! thanks man!!!
    thats why it will be cut with a dovetail.this way you can comp for funky angle

Quote Originally Posted by river031403
    thats why it will be cut with a dovetail.this way you can comp for funky angle
    The NDZ wedges already have dovetails and still get in the way.

It’s agreed that one design will not suite all frames, no need to argue that...

yup

Quote Originally Posted by Ando
    The NDZ wedges already have dovetails and still get in the way.
    yeah i am aware that they have a dovetail cut into them but doesnt seem to be in the way if you move far back enough in my case anyway.

Vvvvv

Quote Originally Posted by going_home
    New Designz drop kick.

Got 3 myself.

The angle is just right.

^^^^^^^^^ thats what im talkin about

Can anyone that owns one of these tell me what angle this is?
    I don’t plan on copying it; I just need a starting point for a prototype. I have an idea I would like to design for an off-set wedge, this info will give me a head start.

Hey luke, how about combining the endo with ptp drop. Ptp drop you can attach the asa on the left or right side of the drop.

Got a picture?

It's basically the same thing we were doing luke but adj left to right.

looks good didnt know they had these, making a adjustable one would seem best

OK, so I designed and manufactured a part that will allow me to test as many configurations as I want until I can dial in the perfect off-set and wedge angle. I really doubt I will end up making a fully adjustable assembly because it would probably end up costing too much and probably look gaudy too boot.

I have 7-8 custom projects coming in this week so I really don’t anticipate much progress on this one over the next few weeks. But it is at the front of the line for the next product.
    Last edited by luke; 04-16-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Thumbs up

status

Quote Originally Posted by luke
    OK, so I designed and manufactured a part that will allow me to test as many configurations as I want until I can dial in the perfect off-set and wedge angle. I really doubt I will end up making a fully adjustable assembly because it would probably end up costing too much and probably look gaudy too boot.

I have 7-8 custom projects coming in this week so I really don’t anticipate much progress on this one over the next few weeks. But it is at the front of the line for the next product.
    status

Quote Originally Posted by river031403
    status
    Tunaman's last post mentioned he's been recently diagnosed with cancer. This might be on the back burner for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter
    Tunaman's last post mentioned he's been recently diagnosed with cancer. This might be on the back burner for a while.
    Maybe I missed it, but what does Tuna's chemotherapy have to do with Luke's wedge design? As far as I know, Luke isn't shutting down shop. In fact, he just got done doing some excellent work for me (again).

I did find a configuration that is comfortable (offset-wedge) but there are issues I need to figure out, otherwise it may end the project. I am currently working on other stuff and waiting for solution to this one to come to me.

Hey Luke,

Didnt read through the thread, but I have one of these NDZ Dropkicks that I can send to you for, er, research. Send me a PM if you are interested - that way I get an email - because I dont check the forums much.

ndz

Quote Originally Posted by mr doo doo
    Hey Luke,

Didnt read through the thread, but I have one of these NDZ Dropkicks that I can send to you for, er, research. Send me a PM if you are interested - that way I get an email - because I dont check the forums much.
    im interested if you would like to sell the dropkick let me know

Patiently waiting

Bump

I spent some time on this and ran into issues with doing an offset wedge, I'm still not sure if I can work it out or not. At the time I needed to work on other projects with fewer issues. No one really seemed interested in a simple wedge so I never made those.

redesigning the wheel?

There is really no need in my opinion to redesign something like the wedge. I have one on my intelliframe and I have no issues with it. I love how much easier it is to sholder and brings the marker closer to the shooter. The only thing we really need is to get someone to start making them again and maybe make one with a slightly smaller angle for those z grips. Just my $0.2 on the matter. I know there are alot of guys out there looking for one.