Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Wedge design.

I hate the "set screw pushing a ball" design on the dropkicks and many other rails. So while I get that dovetail is going to be the standard, I'd rather just have the standard 10-32 screws. You guys should check out stacking a small on/off drop forward on a dropkick. with the 45/68 tanks I use, it puts the butt right in the curve of my shoulder with the top of the marker at eye level.

My design does not incorporate the ball bearing style lock down, plus this is an off-set wedge to move the tank and regulator away from your wrist.

The ball bearing lock idea was a necessity on the wedge, they really had no other option on that part.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    My design does not incorporate the ball bearing style lock down, plus this is an off-set wedge to move the tank and regulator away from your wrist.

The ball bearing lock idea was a necessity on the wedge, they really had no other option on that part.
    I like this. Something similar, but at the same time different. Now I'm interested.

After working on the manufacturing end of these, it looks like the standard 2 screw style mounting is out. The fixturing on these have been the hardest part of the project and what I came up with wont work on those. The best I could do would be a t-slot option.

And the dovetail ?

Dovetails and t-slots are not an issue at this point, if they were the project would have tanked. Of course I still have to test what has been designed and programmed.

Been a busy week, all the programming is done, two of the three fixtures are machined, hope to get the third done this weekend, then I can machine a prototype.

Boys and girls I think we have it, a wedge-off set rail. I'm happy with how it turned out! Pictures coming...

Right Hand Side>

Left Hand Side>

Rear View>

Comparison to the Wedge.
    Angle is the same, tank ends up in the same place on your shoulder.
    The Offset Wedge feels the same when shouldered except the tank and regulator is moved out of the way hand and wrist.>

Looks wider from this side, but really there is little difference of where the tank ends up.>

Trick little screw mount. First you install the screws into the bottom of your grip frame leaving about an 1/8" between the screw head and the bottom of the grip. Then slide the wedge over the screw heads and slide forward. Then it's tightened by running the allen wrench through the wedge from the bottom to tighten the screws down the rest of the way.>

I love it. You're going to hate me for this, but is there the option to mill the underhang lip of the wedge so that it is flush with the front of your Luke's frame? That was my beef with the Dropkick on your frame.

Cool! I'd like to see it mocked up with the warpfeed too.
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

Quote Originally Posted by audioSLAVE View Post
    I love it. You're going to hate me for this, but is there the option to mill the underhang lip of the wedge so that it is flush with the front of your Luke's frame? That was my beef with the Dropkick on your frame.
    After a closer look, no. The frame mounting screw hole would get cut into, my bad.

Want, especially since I use Armageddon regs on my setups........

Quote Originally Posted by audioSLAVE View Post
    You answered your own question, but I did look into that already, really there is no option to change what you see. There were some engineering hurdles to get this to work, form follows function.

hmm nice.

Quote Originally Posted by zondo View Post
    Cool! I'd like to see it mocked up with the warpfeed too.
    It will definitely work, I threw this air system together just for the picture, not something I use...

Quote Originally Posted by Grelvire View Post
    Want, especially since I use Armageddon regs on my setups........
    I think the Geddon will be the 'worst case scenario' with a wedge in general, my offset definitely corrects the problems with it.

I've never used a wedge of any kind so I can't draw from experience in my design but I really can't tell any difference between mine and the original except it frees up you hand and wrist. In other words if you like the wedge you should be happy with my design.

Love your twist to a simple component accessory. I'm looking forward to this. Any thoughts to a cool milling pattern on the side, or where you planning on leaving it plain?

Quote Originally Posted by barkingspider View Post
    Love your twist to a simple component accessory. I'm looking forward to this.
    For as simple as it looks, you would be surprised how much of a hassle it was to engineer and how difficult it was to actually machine.

Quote Originally Posted by barkingspider View Post
    Any thoughts to a cool milling pattern on the side, or where you planning on leaving it plain?
    I had planned on leaving it as is, but could do something, but as soon as I did someone would ask to leave it off. lol

I'm not opposed to doing something, but if I did it won't be an option, that just screws with inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I had planned on leaving it as is, but could do something, but as soon as I did someone would ask to leave it off. lol

I'm not opposed to doing something, but if I did it won't be an option, that just screws with inventory.
    I vote for AO hex's...

Quote Originally Posted by keiko_819 View Post
    I vote for AO hex's...
    Make that 2 votes for the AO hex's

I'm up for making these but I'm going to have to do a pre-order, any takers or is it gonna be a flop?

I'm in for two

no love for the lefties?

And another vote for the AO hex-pattern, if them come in lefty that is.

My vote would be to incorporate the AGD lion somehow. I know it's a small space. The hex pattern would screw with the looks of markers that don't already have the hex pattern incorporated into it. Maybe the lion wouldn't be the greatest choice either. Something could be done with that area. Why not just incorporate a logo in there. It wouldn't bother me a bit to rock that with a big ol' Luke's Customs logo. I always wondered why you were fighting this project so much. I didn't realize you were putting the offset in there with it. I'm sure it was a real pain now that I see what you were trying to accomplish. Nice job again Luke!

Quote Originally Posted by bowcycle View Post
    no love for the lefties?
    Not likely, it's not an easy change, all new fixtures, all new CADs and programining.
    Last edited by luke; 08-20-2014 at 08:51 AM.

I decided what I'm going to do for a logo an the RHS, the left will remain blank. I'll cut one more prototype to test it out this morning. (Unfortunately once these are machined past the first operation (There's four) there is no way put them back in any of the fixtures to engrave)

How does it feel holding it in your left hand