Thread: Make it round man!

Make it round man!

Buffing wheel decided to grab hold of one of my barrel tips when I was polishing it and slammed it up against the back of the workbench. End result is the thread end is not quite as round as it once used to be. Doesnt affect the treads and even with the smallest control bore, and I can't see any lip to catch on due to its lack of roundtivity. Since I am anal and want things to look nice, I would like to make this hole round again. I had a similiar issue with a MM body awhile back and after an hour or so of futzing around with it, just ground a 1/16 of an inch off of the body and voila!. This isnt really an option on this, is there some sort of tool that can be used to make holes round again? I am imagining something like a metal cone.....

Does it exist?

There are pipe ramers used to clean the inside edge of cut pipe:
    Pipe Reamer

But you probably want something less aggressive. I was thinking a cone of hard wood may work. I found this:
    Wooden reamer
    If you can get a hard wood dowl, you can use a lathe to make it cone shapped.

Darrin
    Last edited by Darring D; 03-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.

One of my secrets... don't tell no one else.

Use a socket set and a rubber mallet or hammer, used gently of course. The sockets that have diameter step on the outside are better for this, but any should really do depending how you do it.

Just match a socket that fits now, do what you can and go up in size slowly till done. You should get the idea here, if not let me know I will explain in details.

Oh and yes there is a tool for this job too( forget the name ), but most people I know with any tools they already own socket sets too.

D.K.

The links above led me to: http://www.harborfreight.com/11-piec...set-38577.html. I may invest in one of these at some point, but at $80, I could just about buy a completely new barrel set. I'll have to try the sockets. Thanks.

Sorry about that. I just googled pipe reamer and wooden reamer. The pipe reamer is a plumbers/pipe fitters tool. The wooden one is used is used in the kitchen

I think I fixed the links!

I meant that looking at the links led me to search pipe reamer which led me to HF. The wooden reamer would probably work for the aluminim barrel, but I dont see it working for a SS steel body. Thanks for the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by my automag
    One of my secrets... don't tell no one else.

Use a socket set and a rubber mallet or hammer, used gently of course. The sockets that have diameter step on the outside are better for this, but any should really do depending how you do it.

Just match a socket that fits now, do what you can and go up in size slowly till done. You should get the idea here, if not let me know I will explain in details.

Oh and yes there is a tool for this job too( forget the name ), but most people I know with any tools they already own socket sets too.

D.K.
    For some reason I thought I had tried this before, but realized it was probably on the SS body and it didnt work... Anyways, it did work well for the barrel, I actually had a close match in the deep type socket, so I was able to get good leverage on it.

Thanks again. Sometimes the easiest solution is the best.

lol...that reamer is going to eat the inside of the barrel not reshape it. What you need in a mandrel.

The make them in different sizes but it'll probably be best, even cheaper to just get a new barrel.