Thread: SHP Reg questions

SHP Reg questions

I finally got around to putting m SHP reg on one of my tanks and got a chance to play around with it. Have a couple of questions:

1. Is anybody else reg pin extend a little past the tip of the reg? Every other reg I have, the tip of the pin is flush. Not a huge amount and wouldnt be an issue excepting that I also have a CP on/off where the pin does not recede back past the inner plate. Basically I have to screw the ASA knob all the way in before putting the tank on which makes it somewhat worthless.

2. My Emag w/ Emag valve RT's like a mother. Almost too much as I actually have to make an effort to not shoot a rope of paint. However, I have just the opposite problem with my CF framed, Xvalved Mag. I started with a ULT on/off and it woud not RT. I swapped out for a standard RT on/off and no RT either. I tried adjusting the trigger pin so that it is a business cards distance from the trigger and still no RT effect. Measured the pin, and with the calipers I have it came out to .7545. I know I could try sanding the pin down. I may try another pin from a different valve. Anybody else had a valve that this reg would not make RT?

Every X-valve is different. You can have one that RT's great at 850 psi and the next won't until you get it up to 1200. Try taking the on/off pin out of your emag valve and put it in your x-valve and see what happens. Your emag pin should be .712 and it should RT nicely.

You could also try your X-valve in your emag and see if it RT's any better. With the ULT and the right spring that thing should work nicely with the SHP reg.

Quote Originally Posted by stimpysan
    Every X-valve is different. You can have one that RT's great at 850 psi and the next won't until you get it up to 1200. Try taking the on/off pin out of your emag valve and put it in your x-valve and see what happens. Your emag pin should be .712 and it should RT nicely.

You could also try your X-valve in your emag and see if it RT's any better. With the ULT and the right spring that thing should work nicely with the SHP reg.
    I was going to do some valve swapping later. Problem I am finding is that most of my valves are either ULT or EMag length. I thought I had a spare .750 around here somewhere...

After rereading your post it could be just the CF single trigger frame. I know usually if you get right at the bottom of double trigger is when they RT the best. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by stimpysan
    After rereading your post it could be just the CF single trigger frame. I know usually if you get right at the bottom of double trigger is when they RT the best. Just a thought.
    I wondered about that, it's why I mentioned it. However, I have seen Classic RT's with CF frames and those supposedly RT like crazy.

Yeah, I have no RT problems with either of the single AGD frames. I like to ride the top of the trigger because it travels less.

On the marker that doesn't like to RT, check that the ASA, macro, and other fittings have good sized air passages in them. You have to have decent flow with that pressure as well. I just came across some macro in my parts box that had a 1/16" ID. It wasn't too bad for a 3 inch run, but that's getting a little tight.

When you get things more even (and if you haven't done so already), you can take the shims out of the SHP to go from 1100 to 950. 950 still gets me 14 bps usually, and pretty well controlled.

If the SHP is working right and the seal in the main pin looks good, I would be tempted to pull it out and sand the tip down so it is flush on the reg face. Otherwise give Rob a pm or call, they should set you up with a new pin or seal.

And throw some oil on the non-RT one as well. Sometimes they are sticky and can surprise you after a oil bath.

Another trick to getting a good RT effect is running the fps at around 270. The rt effect is also effected by the difference in pressures between the two chambers, the grater the difference in pressures between them the grater the rt effect. Trying to rt at 285-295 is harder than at 270.

Hmm. Popped it into a Retro that I have and it RT's pretty nicely. Must be the valve. I'll have to go through it I guess.

Since the pin measure a little above .750, maybe I should take it dow to .750 or .740.

another shim in the on off made a world of difference for me.