Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: time to redecorate AO

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side
    Why not set something up like Custon Cockers has?

Like MCB mods ?

The most important thing is saving the data here - if the easiest and most reliable way to transition to a new server and more modern interface is upgrading the same program that's probably the way to go since coming up with funds for the basics is going to be hard enough never mind someone to actually do a conversion and ensure it's going to go correctly from program/db to a different one. Conversions are costly and time consuming on every level.

Vbulletin is actually pretty easy to work with and if we're upgrading from V3.x to V4.x, it'll work out really well.

Going from one server to another is also not that bad - the system upgrade can either do the SQL backup or connect to the DB on the current server and pull data that way.

The real crux of this will be several things - DNS registration and the transfer to a new host, $ for the new software and possibly $ for hosting depending on the current server load.

For my own curiosity (I'm working on an idea for a new website not related to paintball) how much money can banner adds generate?

Quote Originally Posted by luke
    For my own curiosity (I'm working on an idea for a new website not related to paintball) how much money can banner adds generate?
    That's going to depend on the site, of course. From the looks of this thread, your biggest revenue stream might be from setting up something showcasing single Ukrainian women driving Dodge trucks...

It really depends on what system you use for banner ads & the content that people click on.

Keep in mind, Google Ads are contextual to those that participate in their network (same goes for DoubleClick, etc.). So if say you go to Sprint.com, you may see a Sprint.com banner ad when you go to a subscribing website.

So as you have seen, if you are looking for hot milfs on a website, you may see ads for hot milfs elsewhere. (Though you should be able to set up whether you allow adult content in your ad network when you sign up for them.)

Just looked up automags.org on statscrop.com

http://www.statscrop.com/www/automags.org

If that's to be believed, this site could run on a non-dedicated server for something like $10 a month...

Back in its hey-day, it couldn't. But now? Hell yes.

www.kickstarter.com

everyone donates what they want to reach a goal, if the goal is not reached then no one is charged. once the goal is reached everyone gets a charge on their card

i would assume TK has the final say on this... has anyone bothered to see if he is actually interested in passing this off?

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    I am waiting to see if there is some real momentum

If I don't hear anything from the mods, I'll contact Tom directly.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag
    www.kickstarter.com

everyone donates what they want to reach a goal, if the goal is not reached then no one is charged. once the goal is reached everyone gets a charge on their card
    No offense, but if we're talking on $120/year to operate, as Luke said, how can this not be covered by ad revenue?

we have to cover the costs of transferring data and such dont we?

We still need to raise the $ for the forum software.

Vbulletin costs $195 for a new Forum license and $285 for the CMS + Forum version. (Not sure if we'd need that or not.)

So yes, we could likely make the hosting costs through the banner ads, but we still need $ for software upgrade.

I looked at my hosting company's prices:

$119.40 for 1 year of hosting, prepaid for the year. That's WITHOUT a unique IP address (an additional $4 per month.)

Post from TK back in 2004 about AO.....

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    What will happen to AO?

I need to find a way to make AO pay for itself. If it can do that it can stay around forever. I will be selling banner space as a first try but if that doesnt work it might have to go to some kind of membership fee. Stuff like AO has to get paid for somehow and Dave didn't take over all the bills I have to pay.

AGD
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=26

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring
    We still need to raise the $ for the forum software.

Vbulletin costs $195 for a new Forum license and $285 for the CMS + Forum version. (Not sure if we'd need that or not.)

So yes, we could likely make the hosting costs through the banner ads, but we still need $ for software upgrade.
    Ok, the post on the first page that linked back to TK's statement in 06 said there was $150/month in banner revenue. Perhaps this figure has changed, but $1800/year should cover it and then some shouldnt it?

they only pay us if we click on them though. I make a point to click on them at least every day

they only pay us if we click on them though. I make a point to click on them at least every day
    Ahhhh. Fat chance of that happening since the only banners I seem to get lately are mature women that "don't like young guys". Trying to figure out if that is supposed to flatter me or excite me? Either way, I'm not sure if I have ever clicked on a banner ad intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    Ok, the post on the first page that linked back to TK's statement in 06 said there was $150/month in banner revenue. Perhaps this figure has changed, but $1800/year should cover it and then some shouldnt it?
    Yes, under a new model. But from the sounds of things, they are using that $150 and then some to cover CURRENT hosting costs.

So we'll still need to get the $ together for the software. Once we get moved to a new ISP and plan, then yes - the banner revenue would cover the monthly fees and then some.

Again, I would gladly setup space on my server for agd to host the forums at no cost. Transferring would not be much of a problem, worst case scenario we would have to download all files to a computer, upload to the new server, shut AO down temporarily, back up the database, restore the database on the new server and switch the dns information around. Once the dns information updates everyone will start loading the open forums with no change.

I'll put $$$ where my mouth is. I'm willing to cover some of the up front costs of upgrading to a new server. If anyone else is truely serious about this feel free to send me a PM.

Well, I can look into a Kickstarter type of setup to cover the Forum Software portion.

But again - we still need the OK from Tom/Zupe as well as some support from the current hosting company.

get a clear plan together. who is doing what? then we will present it to Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny
    I'll put $$$ where my mouth is. I'm willing to cover some of the up front costs of upgrading to a new server. If anyone else is truely serious about this feel free to send me a PM.
    It does not look like that much money so I dont think raising funds will be a problem, we really need to hear for Mr. TK before anything is started, it's not ours to change.

get a clear plan together. who is doing what? then we will present it to Tom.

I said earlier that if I don't hear from the Mod team here in the next day or so, I'll contact Tom directly.

contact him. I have but I have nothing technical to add, just support. we need someone who knows what theyre doing to talk to him

Yes sir.

tom@tomkaye.com

I dont know how I remember that