Thread: Definite manufacturing issue with 2k9 mag

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Definite manufacturing issue with 2k9 mag

Trying to get to the bottom of my 2k9 issue of not being able to get it up to a proper velocity, I decided to make a quick measurement.
    And they're is definitely a manufacturing prolblem.
    I measured inside the body from whe the valve ring in a regular mag body is, to whe the field screw goes. It was about 2 3/4 inches.
    With the 2k9 it's 3 inches.
    Thats a huge difference with the small tolerances Automags work under.

Can anyone here with a 2k9 and a standard mag, checkmy measurements.
    If those with proper functioning 2k9's report different numbers then I can only surmise that some of these we not milled correctly.

Measured a ULE and MiniMag body, both came in at about 2 7/8" to the front of the FS hole. Measured my MM2K9 without the insert and came in around 2 15/16, With the insert it is closer to 2 3/4, but probably because there is a lip on the insert keeping the tape measure from going in the extra 1/16 of an inch. I chrono fine. 285/290 all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    Measured a ULE and MiniMag body, both came in at about 2 7/8" to the front of the FS hole. Measured my MM2K9 without the insert and came in around 2 15/16, With the insert it is closer to 2 3/4, but probably because there is a lip on the insert keeping the tape measure from going in the extra 1/16 of an inch. I chrono fine. 285/290 all day long.
    Mine is 3" with the insert.

Just so we are on the same page, I am using a tape measure that just fits inside of the body. I am sliding it in until it hits something. In this case it's the lip from the insert.

Rechecked my measurements,also using a tape measure.
    I am measuring from where the spring will hit the insert on the 2k9, and the metal insert on the ule body.

The ULE ring to the FS is 3 1/2 "
    The 2k9 ring to the FS is 3"

OPBN, when you look into the breach, what do you estimate the thickness of aluminum from the insert to where the removable breach is? Mine is about a 1/4" of aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Henchman
    Rechecked my measurements,also using a tape measure.
    I am measuring from where the spring will hit the insert on the 2k9, and the metal insert on the ule body.

The ULE ring to the FS is 3 1/2 "
    The 2k9 ring to the FS is 3"
    Ive measured 3 seperate bodies and all of them are 2 7/8 to the front of the FS hole. If you are getting 3 1/2" something is wrong. The spring sits on the inside of the insert, my tape measure will not fit inside the insert, so I am measuring from the lip. Before you were saying the MM2k9 was longer, now you are saying its shorter?