Thread: body F*ed, HELP PLEASE

body F*ed, HELP PLEASE

so i was looking over my dallra body.
    it has some stuff/ corrosion? on the inside that looks like rust but without the rust color.

if i take a nice polishing compound,ALLBRITE to this, i cant feel the roughness of corrosion.

is there a good way to cure this?
    i dont even know if it is corrosion, so here are some good close pics.

let me know if any of you have had this issue, or know what the hell is going on here.

thankyou,
    KNM.

Best cure it to polish it and ANODIZE.

Anodizing and other forms of browning, case hardening, electroplating, etc. are meant more to protect than to look pretty. Ever notice how aluminum eventually discolors and goes opaque or gets black/grey shadowy look after being polished? That's a result of oxidization, which if left unchecked can lead to pitting (or with pieces of cast aluminum rather than pieces milled from a billet, flaking). The sooner you get it covered, the better - a good anodizer can polish it and do a clear shiny silver for you if that's the look you want.

The other option is to clean and polish it all the time, but eventually you will take off too much material and the tolerances will be too far off to function properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
    Best cure it to polish it and ANODIZE.

Anodizing and other forms of browning, case hardening, electroplating, etc. are meant more to protect than to look pretty. Ever notice how aluminum eventually discolors and goes opaque or gets black/grey shadowy look after being polished? That's a result of oxidization, which if left unchecked can lead to pitting (or with pieces of cast aluminum rather than pieces milled from a billet, flaking). The sooner you get it covered, the better - a good anodizer can polish it and do a clear shiny silver for you if that's the look you want.

The other option is to clean and polish it all the time, but eventually you will take off too much material and the tolerances will be too far off to function properly.
    so my anodizer should be able to put this corosion in check?

Yes, leaving parts exposed and raw like that will damage them faster than you think. You risk pitting, which will destroy the aesthetics of the part(s).

just so i can leave this thread confident.

my anodizer should be able to polish this crap out of the inside of my body?
    then of course anno it.

thankyou for all the help.
    KNM.

Should be able to fix you up, buildup is not your problem anyways. I am more worried that there is pitting. Without the part in my hands its hard to say.

FFR: Always get your parts finished quickly, otherwise damage can and will happen.

Does the type of aluminum affect this? I have several parts that I stripped and polished several years ago that still appear to be in the same condition as when I worked on them. I also have some raw stock aluminum that has been sitting here for 4-5 years and there is zero pitting or anything on it. What about all the raw bodies that are produced that are sitting in peoples collections?
    Last edited by OPBN; 08-14-2012 at 08:43 AM.

I have to say it is more about how the part is stored. i have whole markers polished and unfinished and they have been likke this for years now and dont show any signs of oxidation. Still shiny and smooth over a year later.

it depends on the conditions of storage but aluminim grades will effect it.
    high copper content can cause blackening

I've also found that the higher the polish, the less likely a raw piece is to corrode. Could be coincidence, but with less surface area compared to a rougher finish it makes sense (to me at least). Could be why you only have this issue on the inside.

My advice would be to get it re-polished and then clear annodised

Running markers longterm in a raw finish is not really a great idea

I've keeped my raw karta body and rail in a ziplock bag with a light film of oil on it for years now with no ill affects.

A few things, first off I don’t think your anno guy will even consider it if you don’t mention it up front, but with that said I would not trust an anno guy to do it to begin with, these guys are notorious for over polishing parts. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by luke
    A few things, first off I don’t think your anno guy will even consider it if you don’t mention it up front, but with that said I would not trust an anno guy to do it to begin with, these guys are notorious for over polishing parts. Just my two cents.
    are you able to fix this up for me luke?
    if so the body can be on its way ASAP.
    then when its fixed ican send it straight to anno.

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags
    are you able to fix this up for me luke?
    if so the body can be on its way ASAP.
    then when its fixed ican send it straight to anno.

I wouldnt worry too much bud it looks like mild oidation speak to your annodisers 1st too see what they say