Thread: body F*ed, HELP PLEASE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

body F*ed, HELP PLEASE

so i was looking over my dallra body.
    it has some stuff/ corrosion? on the inside that looks like rust but without the rust color.

if i take a nice polishing compound,ALLBRITE to this, i cant feel the roughness of corrosion.

is there a good way to cure this?
    i dont even know if it is corrosion, so here are some good close pics.

let me know if any of you have had this issue, or know what the hell is going on here.

thankyou,
    KNM.

Best cure it to polish it and ANODIZE.

Anodizing and other forms of browning, case hardening, electroplating, etc. are meant more to protect than to look pretty. Ever notice how aluminum eventually discolors and goes opaque or gets black/grey shadowy look after being polished? That's a result of oxidization, which if left unchecked can lead to pitting (or with pieces of cast aluminum rather than pieces milled from a billet, flaking). The sooner you get it covered, the better - a good anodizer can polish it and do a clear shiny silver for you if that's the look you want.

The other option is to clean and polish it all the time, but eventually you will take off too much material and the tolerances will be too far off to function properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
    Best cure it to polish it and ANODIZE.

Anodizing and other forms of browning, case hardening, electroplating, etc. are meant more to protect than to look pretty. Ever notice how aluminum eventually discolors and goes opaque or gets black/grey shadowy look after being polished? That's a result of oxidization, which if left unchecked can lead to pitting (or with pieces of cast aluminum rather than pieces milled from a billet, flaking). The sooner you get it covered, the better - a good anodizer can polish it and do a clear shiny silver for you if that's the look you want.

The other option is to clean and polish it all the time, but eventually you will take off too much material and the tolerances will be too far off to function properly.
    so my anodizer should be able to put this corosion in check?

Yes, leaving parts exposed and raw like that will damage them faster than you think. You risk pitting, which will destroy the aesthetics of the part(s).

just so i can leave this thread confident.

my anodizer should be able to polish this crap out of the inside of my body?
    then of course anno it.

thankyou for all the help.
    KNM.

Should be able to fix you up, buildup is not your problem anyways. I am more worried that there is pitting. Without the part in my hands its hard to say.

FFR: Always get your parts finished quickly, otherwise damage can and will happen.