Thread: X-Valve leaking down powertube

X-Valve leaking down powertube

It's been about 5 years since I last used my X-Valved Minimag with ULE trigger. I recently replaced and oiled the powertube and on/off o-rings.

I'm getting a bad leak down the powertube and tried changing the L10 carrier to a smaller size. 1.5 seems to be the best when test fitted but it still leaks. Right now it's on size 1 and it still leaks. The spring is medium (red) and there are two shims used in the powertube tip.

I know it's the powertube because it pretty much stops leaking when i hold the trigger back.
    Any ideas on how to get my mag working again?

try a different oring in your carrier... is that oring 5 years old as well? could be dried up or comprimised in some way not visible to the eye... That is most likely the oring causing your leak so i would continue to focus there.

EDIT: also take the shims out and see if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sQuidvision
    try a different oring in your carrier... is that oring 5 years old as well? could be dried up or comprimised in some way not visible to the eye... That is most likely the oring causing your leak so i would continue to focus there.

EDIT: also take the shims out and see if that makes a difference.
    i got the o-ring out of a sealed x-valve parts kit that was brand new. I ordered the parts kit a few years ago but never used it until yesterday.

Did you replace the carrier o-ring and oring on the tip of the powertube? Oil them both and try again. Also, as Squid mentioned, try taking out the shims.

The shims should always be removed when tuning your level 10 bolt. If you changed the oring, you will need to tune it. Use the largest powertube carrier oring that doesn't produce a leak.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas
    The shims should always be removed when tuning your level 10 bolt. If you changed the oring, you will need to tune it. Use the largest powertube carrier oring that doesn't produce a leak.
    thanks, I will also try to change the o-ring on the powertube tip/cap.

Update

I changed down to the smallest carrier in the kit (no lines, no dots) size 0 and it still leaks really bad. Like I said earlier, when I hold the trigger back, the leak stops.
    Is it still a powertube problem?

Quote Originally Posted by jewie27
    I changed down to the smallest carrier in the kit (no lines, no dots) size 0 and it still leaks really bad. Like I said earlier, when I hold the trigger back, the leak stops.
    Is it still a powertube problem?
    the fact that holding the trigger back stops the leak means the problem is forward of the on/off (and more specifically not the on/off itself). Do you have a different carrier oring you can try?

Quote Originally Posted by sQuidvision
    the fact that holding the trigger back stops the leak means the problem is forward of the on/off (and more specifically not the on/off itself). Do you have a different carrier oring you can try?
    i have used two different/new o-rings in the carriers and changed the black o-ring on the outside of them. still on the smallest carrier leaking and no shims are installed at this time.

Do you have the bushing installed in the rail? are you %100 sure you are getting everything installed facing the correct direction?

no parts are missing, the bushing is still in the rail.

What is the condition of your sear? Is it worn on the tip? If it is, it could cause the bolt to sit too far forward allowing the bolt stem vent hole to be permanently exposed. Is the level 10 backing washer installed?

What is the condition of your sear? Is it worn on the tip? If it is, it could cause the bolt to sit too far forward allowing the bolt stem vent hole to be permanently exposed. Is the level 10 backing washer installed?
    i'll break the gun down completely sometime this week. I haven't looked at the sear yet. Yes the backing washer is installed.

the sear is fine.

When it is leaking out the front, does the leak stop if you push the bolt back with your finger?

When it is leaking out the front, does the leak stop if you push the bolt back with your finger?
    it keeps leaking when i push on it too. it's even using the smallest Level 10 carrier in the kit. no lines, no dots. new o-rings with oil.

Are you sure its leaking out the powertube? If you push the bolt back, the vent hole would be back behind the oring, so there is no way for the air to escape, especially with a tight oring. Are there any scratches inside the powertube?