Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking For Information $$$

Well this is the first time I saw this post. Explains a decent amount. I had been bidding & was high bidder in its final 12 or so hours. (something like that). Then it was canceled.

Im glad it worked out for everyone. It also worked out ok for me as well that it had been canceled.

So now Ive got a interesting question. If someone buys something from a Lost mail auction. Its technically not stolen. So who really owns it.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th
    Well this is the first time I saw this post. Explains a decent amount. I had been bidding & was high bidder in its final 12 or so hours. (something like that). Then it was canceled.

Im glad it worked out for everyone. It also worked out ok for me as well that it had been canceled.

So now Ive got a interesting question. If someone buys something from a Lost mail auction. Its technically not stolen. So who really owns it.
    But it is technically stolen. The lost mail side of it apart if you buy something from a thief even though you paid for it you are still in posession of stolen property. Just because you pay for it does not make it not stolen it just means you did not steal it.

Generally you are screwed if you are in posession of stolen property. Normally you give it to the police or DA in exchange for them not pressing charges.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

Quote Originally Posted by SoulCoffin
    A bottle of hair thinning treatment for women...

Anyways, got an email from the eBay guy a little while ago. Good news! He said that the USPS took back the item and will send it off to its original destination... To the waiting hands of loguzzz. Hopefully, we'll have yet another mag of the month winner in the works

Ps- hey John, your pm box is full
    I have a question though. How does the USPS know where to send it since I have the still have the original box from rukh013 the women's hair treatment???

btw: Inbox cleared!

Quote Originally Posted by Loguzzzzzz
    I have a question though. How does the USPS know where to send it since I have the still have the original box from rukh013 the women's hair treatment???

the ebay guy asked what address to send it to, so i gave him yours.

It would be ironic if the post office had the info they needed to send it and they were just to lazy

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th
    Typically lost mail isn't considered stolen as the shipper is compensated via the insurance they paid when they shipped the package. There is typically a clause in the paperwork stating that you agree to sign over all rights to the package and its contents when you get paid.

This instance there is a sign of fraud as the package was opened and contents switched thus it would be theft. Leaving the auction buyer in possession of stolen goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohman446
    But it is technically stolen. The lost mail side of it apart if you buy something from a thief even though you paid for it you are still in posession of stolen property. Just because you pay for it does not make it not stolen it just means you did not steal it.

Generally you are screwed if you are in posession of stolen property. Normally you give it to the police or DA in exchange for them not pressing charges.
    I see this posted quite a bit by people on web forums, but it's simply not true. If the buyer paid fair value for the property and was otherwise innocent in the transaction (i.e. they didn't know the seller didn't have the right to sell it - or it was stolen), then they are likely going to be deemed to be a bona fide purchaser.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...fide+purchaser
    http://financial-dictionary.thefreed...fide+purchaser

There may be other laws governing this issue as to particular persons or entities, such as pawn shops or other commercial places, but to the average Joe this is a remedy that allows him to keep the property that he paid for. The original owner must sue the thief/seller for damages, and cannot come after the BFP.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    I see this posted quite a bit by people on web forums, but it's simply not true. If the buyer paid fair value for the property and was otherwise innocent in the transaction (i.e. they didn't know the seller didn't have the right to sell it - or it was stolen), then they are likely going to be deemed to be a bona fide purchaser.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...fide+purchaser
    http://financial-dictionary.thefreed...fide+purchaser

There may be other laws governing this issue as to particular persons or entities, such as pawn shops or other commercial places, but to the average Joe this is a remedy that allows him to keep the property that he paid for. The original owner must sue the thief/seller for damages, and cannot come after the BFP.
    Being a bfp does not guarentee a right to the stolen property;

http://www.legal-explanations.com/de...olen-goods.htm

Possession Of Stolen Goods

n.An act of keeping in possesion goods that have been obtained by illegal means like theft, fraud,smuggling etc.If the person is aware that the goods are stolen then it is considered a crime but if he is innocent than the goods are returned to the actual owner.

I work for lawyers. Often the "innocent" buyer gets charged with possession of stolen goods. They then have to go to court and prove to the judge that they innocently purchased said item. Then the judge typically rules that the charges be dropped AND that said stolen goods be returned to the person they were stolen from. Leaving the buyer out the $ but the right to sue the seller (who typically stole the goods).
    Last edited by wetwrks; 10-18-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Well the valve showed up in Saturday's mail! Just as it was pictured in the eBay listing. The RT on/off is in the valve too. I mention this since there was some question as to whether or not it was visible in the listing.

The lvl 10 bolt, springs and all other parts were not included. Better than nothing for sure.

I would have guessed that this valve was long gone!

Makes me wish that I (or the shipper) would have been more diligent when my parts went missing a few years back.

MOTY3
    Wait a tick...How do we know that Soulcoffin was not just trying to tell Loguzzzzzz he had way to much back hair by sending him the box with the hair thining tonic?

Pfft...The hair fears the Samoan

Well the valve showed up in Saturday's mail! Just as it was pictured in the eBay listing. The RT on/off is in the valve too. I mention this since there was some question as to whether or not it was visible in the listing.

The lvl 10 bolt, springs and all other parts were not included. Better than nothing for sure.

I would have guessed that this valve was long gone!

Makes me wish that I (or the shipper) would have been more diligent when my parts went missing a few years back.

It was anger that fueled my diligence, i was so mad... but i am sooo happy now
    there couldn't have been a much better ending to this, i might pull the lvl 10 off my x valve if i get eyes, but it won't be for a while (couple months)

Quote Originally Posted by Ando
    Pfft...The hair fears the Samoan
    Heh, Samoan? No... It's lumpia, pancit and lechon that fuels this fatty!

But hmmm.... Loguzzzzz and back hair... Throw in a pair of clippers and sounds like we have a tunaball prank in the works

Anyways, awesome news John!

Quote Originally Posted by SoulCoffin
    Heh, Samoan? No... It's lumpia, pancit and lechon that fuels this fatty!
    Mmmm....lumpia...we do them every year for New Years. Sounds good.