Thread: buy or build my own pump mag?

buy or build my own pump mag?

Hello Guys,

I was thinking of owning a pump mag. Just wondering if it would be better to own or build my own pump mag? I like to start my own custom projects, but I am not sure if the parts and services are still available for me to build one.

Luke does the milling, Rainman226 on MCB had some more pump kits recently. The kits seem to come and go the most. That's usually the part you have to watch for. The pump milling can be a hold up unless you get Luke to do it. For doing more yourself, the body work isn't too bad. The hard part about doing the pump kit yourself is getting it all lined up, especially with a second guide rod.

I've never seen a pretty looking rail "milling" done without a mill. Considering that it needs to be really straight for the pump rod, I wouldn't try it unless you are willing to cut it wider than normal. Not that it can't be done with a dremel. It would just take me a very long time.

While you are usually pumping a classic valve, getting Luke's ULE rail milling with a pump slot at the same time is still pretty neat.

Reasonably priced pump kits are hard to come by. The Rainman one is nice, but at $150 is a bit steep IMO. The XM-15 kits, which I have one of, are nice if you can find one. Like Spider said, I would leave the rail and body milling to a professional like LUKE. Warped Miphesto also does rail/body milling.

rainman also offers blem kits that are reduced price btw

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky
    rainman also offers blem kits that are reduced price btw

Blem kits are sold out as of last week...He is also out fo the Hit man mods

Quote Originally Posted by shooter311
    Blem kits are sold out as of last week...He is also out fo the Hit man mods
    Wonder if he is going to make more blem kits

Quote Originally Posted by river031403
    Wonder if he is going to make more blem kits