Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Automag picture

  1. #1

    Automag picture

    Some of you will understand this picture. The rest... don't worry about it.

    "Accuracy by aiming."


    Definitely not on the A-Team.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Minnesotaaaah
    Posts
    811
    If your goal was to get me to stare at the picture for a good two minutes you succeeded. Didn't you do this mod quite a while ago?

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PHX, AZ
    Posts
    1,418
    Goat that looks great? liking that trigger guard dood!!! what rail you got on there???

  5. #5
    The gauge is on upside down... and unless the VASA is tapped on the other side, it's useless anyway.

    Also, aftermarket/custom trigger guard for the cut CF frame; Looks like it's got an aftermarket (Air America?) reg on the valve; possibly has a TL/AC adapter in there and an AC threaded freak barrel; and is that a BT springfeed you're trying to place on there?

  6. #6
    1. trigger guard - plastic
    2. trigger - plastic
    3. rtp rail with classic ASA grooves - plastic
    4. mag to cocker adapter (look in the breech) - plastic
    5. top rail - plastic (from Trracer; you've seen that one before)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Plymouth, WI
    Posts
    7,202
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    1. trigger guard - plastic
    2. trigger - plastic
    3. rtp rail with classic ASA grooves - plastic
    4. mag to cocker adapter (look in the breech) - plastic
    5. top rail - plastic (from Trracer; you've seen that one before)
    ohhh, see we have a problem already, someones already made one and they have a pretty solid copyright on it.




    Had to

    To leave feedback: Click seller/buyers name, Click feedback score, Click leave feedback

  8. #8
    Ah. I noticed all of that, just didn't (couldn't) guess that it was all plastic. Something seemed funny about the rail but couldn't tell that much from the pic.

    So... lightweight?

  9. #9
    Very. The rail is 1.3oz. With ule body and xvalve, no barrel or foregrip, its 1lb 6oz. DW 14" fibur is like 2.5oz.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    McHenry, IL
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    Very. The rail is 1.3oz. With ule body and xvalve, no barrel or foregrip, its 1lb 6oz. DW 14" fibur is like 2.5oz.
    Have you gotten to play with this, yet? If so, how is the rail holding up? How much did it cost to have the rail printed?

    I was also wondering if you would be willing to send me the OpenSCAD files for the different variants you did of this rail? I've finally got a little time to play around with this again.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bbotts77
    Have you gotten to play with this, yet? If so, how is the rail holding up? How much did it cost to have the rail printed?

    I was also wondering if you would be willing to send me the OpenSCAD files for the different variants you did of this rail? I've finally got a little time to play around with this again.
    I've been playing with these parts nearly every weekend since that post. Everything is holding up; the dodgiest part would be the front of the rail which I slotted for the classic vert ASA screw to be adjustable. That screw doesn't exactly have a large head so there isn't a lot of plastic holding the vertical ASA on there, but it's still holding. The mag2cocker, trigger guard, and even the trigger are holding up just fine. Granted, I'm not RT'ing my way across the field either.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaQXYvfVNmA

    Printed up at Shapeways, it was about $50, which is kind of expensive, until you realize how much a good ULE rail winds up costing, including warp notching and anodizing it back to black.

    The release of the file is a stickier issue. It's derived from AGD's cad files and I dunno what their stance on this is.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    bluffton, south carolina (near hilton head for all you ohio-ans lol)
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    I've been playing with these parts nearly every weekend since that post. Everything is holding up; the dodgiest part would be the front of the rail which I slotted for the classic vert ASA screw to be adjustable. That screw doesn't exactly have a large head so there isn't a lot of plastic holding the vertical ASA on there, but it's still holding. The mag2cocker, trigger guard, and even the trigger are holding up just fine. Granted, I'm not RT'ing my way across the field either.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaQXYvfVNmA

    Printed up at Shapeways, it was about $50, which is kind of expensive, until you realize how much a good ULE rail winds up costing, including warp notching and anodizing it back to black.

    The release of the file is a stickier issue. It's derived from AGD's cad files and I dunno what their stance on this is.
    Hey thats an awesome vid man!
    digging the mag- could you give some details as to what feed system your using i want to do something similiar... thanks

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Daniel Island, SC
    Posts
    1,397
    where did you get the rail from?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    1. trigger guard - plastic
    2. trigger - plastic
    3. rtp rail with classic ASA grooves - plastic
    4. mag to cocker adapter (look in the breech) - plastic
    5. top rail - plastic (from Trracer; you've seen that one before)
    Just don't dive too hard into a bunker!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    McHenry, IL
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    I've been playing with these parts nearly every weekend since that post. Everything is holding up; the dodgiest part would be the front of the rail which I slotted for the classic vert ASA screw to be adjustable. That screw doesn't exactly have a large head so there isn't a lot of plastic holding the vertical ASA on there, but it's still holding. The mag2cocker, trigger guard, and even the trigger are holding up just fine. Granted, I'm not RT'ing my way across the field either.
    That's awesome. I've been thinking about getting one printed, too. It's good to know it's been holding up for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    Awesome video. I love the feed system, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    Printed up at Shapeways, it was about $50, which is kind of expensive, until you realize how much a good ULE rail winds up costing, including warp notching and anodizing it back to black.
    You're right. Considering it is a customer ULE rail, $50 is not bad at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    The release of the file is a stickier issue. It's derived from AGD's cad files and I dunno what their stance on this is.
    No problem about the files. I think I've finally got the hang of OpenSCAD. I'll just pull out the caliper again and get things measured out, this time in mm. If you find that you can release any of the files, my email address is bbotts at gmail.

    Thanks for the update and the video!

  16. #16
    Thanks guys... that's not even one of my better videos; just happened to be the newest one at the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by blacklegionfreak
    Hey thats an awesome vid man!
    digging the mag- could you give some details as to what feed system your using i want to do something similiar... thanks
    The feed system is the spring feed off an SA-17.

    The top rail is actually taken off an Empire Trracer, sanded to fit the larger OD of the mag body, and glued on. Pretty low tech.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    bluffton, south carolina (near hilton head for all you ohio-ans lol)
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    Thanks guys... that's not even one of my better videos; just happened to be the newest one at the time.



    The feed system is the spring feed off an SA-17.

    The top rail is actually taken off an Empire Trracer, sanded to fit the larger OD of the mag body, and glued on. Pretty low tech.
    Im a bit confused still as to how you got the SA-17 spring feed to fit on to the mag...? can you post more detailed pics of the feed "array" lol

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Posts
    612
    say i wanted a few plastic/nylon rails how much would these cost to get?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklegionfreak
    Im a bit confused still as to how you got the SA-17 spring feed to fit on to the mag...? can you post more detailed pics of the feed "array" lol
    It fits on the Trracer rail, i.e.



    Not sure what you're looking for exactly...



    Quote Originally Posted by rukh013
    say i wanted a few plastic/nylon rails how much would these cost to get?
    It cost me literally $51.98 to have it printed in black from Shapeways:

    http://www.shapeways.com/model/68545...ays-final.html

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    It fits on the Trracer rail, i.e.



    Not sure what you're looking for exactly...





    It cost me literally $51.98 to have it printed in black from Shapeways:

    http://www.shapeways.com/model/68545...ays-final.html
    Can you buy the rail from Empire... or do you have to steal it from a Traccer?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    400
    So how much did it cost you overall?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    bluffton, south carolina (near hilton head for all you ohio-ans lol)
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    It fits on the Trracer rail, i.e.



    Not sure what you're looking for exactly...





    It cost me literally $51.98 to have it printed in black from Shapeways:

    http://www.shapeways.com/model/68545...ays-final.html

    I meant the feed array as it is on the mag

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklegionfreak
    I meant the feed array as it is on the mag
    Hrm... well, not sure how else to explain it.

    I guess you can kind of see how it goes on/off the mag in one of my videos:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BLyCdQz9dI

    Does that help? It just slides forward/back on the top rail.




    As far as the rails... sorry I think I am confused. Are you guys asking about the top rail or the bottom rail? The top rail is from Empire; I bought it through Boss Paintball. He seems to be able to get replacement parts. I think it was $25, but don't quote me on that. Spring feed was... $30.

    The rest is a fairly standard automag aside from the printed parts.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy

    As far as the rails... sorry I think I am confused. Are you guys asking about the top rail or the bottom rail? The top rail is from Empire; I bought it through Boss Paintball. He seems to be able to get replacement parts. I think it was $25, but don't quote me on that. Spring feed was... $30.
    ^ Have the link to that Empire top rail?

    Thanks

    NVM... I found them for $4 on this sight :


    https://www.jtpaintballparts.com/Ord...OrderID=216598



    BTW... What glue did you use to put it on. THX
    Last edited by Fatalis; 12-03-2012 at 10:10 PM.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    bluffton, south carolina (near hilton head for all you ohio-ans lol)
    Posts
    308
    alright. well how about this. how much would it cost me for you to build me one?

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalis
    ^ Have the link to that Empire top rail?

    Thanks

    NVM... I found them for $4 on this sight :


    https://www.jtpaintballparts.com/Ord...OrderID=216598



    BTW... What glue did you use to put it on. THX
    Yeah, let me know if you are actually successful in getting them for $4 from there. I need another one myself.

    As far as the glue... that's an interesting question. I originally used Gorilla Glue, which was strong, but seemed to have... solvency issues against paint. Like, I got shot on the gun and I think some of the paint sat on the glue and softened it, and it eventually came off.

    I'm using just normal 10-minute epoxy from the hardware store now, and that seems to be holding fine, although I think I noticed a little bit of solvency again. Need to look closer. I wouldn't go bashing it against a tree, but it holds, particularly if all you're doing is the spring feed anyways.





    blacklegionfreak: uh... probably prohibitively expensive. I really, really don't like working on guns (which is why I use automags in the first place). The work involved is really sanding the Trracer rail and cutting the feed neck off a standard body. Everything else is pretty much off the shelf. There are some guys around (if not here, certainly on MCB) who would probably be happy to do custom work for you.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    Yeah, let me know if you are actually successful in getting them for $4 from there. I need another one myself.

    As far as the glue... that's an interesting question. I originally used Gorilla Glue, which was strong, but seemed to have... solvency issues against paint. Like, I got shot on the gun and I think some of the paint sat on the glue and softened it, and it eventually came off.

    I'm using just normal 10-minute epoxy from the hardware store now, and that seems to be holding fine, although I think I noticed a little bit of solvency again. Need to look closer. I wouldn't go bashing it against a tree, but it holds, particularly if all you're doing is the spring feed anyways.
    .
    Got the email today that they shipped. Bought 2. Should be here by Friday. Will let you know. Thanks for the info.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    bluffton, south carolina (near hilton head for all you ohio-ans lol)
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    Yeah, let me know if you are actually successful in getting them for $4 from there. I need another one myself.

    As far as the glue... that's an interesting question. I originally used Gorilla Glue, which was strong, but seemed to have... solvency issues against paint. Like, I got shot on the gun and I think some of the paint sat on the glue and softened it, and it eventually came off.

    I'm using just normal 10-minute epoxy from the hardware store now, and that seems to be holding fine, although I think I noticed a little bit of solvency again. Need to look closer. I wouldn't go bashing it against a tree, but it holds, particularly if all you're doing is the spring feed anyways.





    blacklegionfreak: uh... probably prohibitively expensive. I really, really don't like working on guns (which is why I use automags in the first place). The work involved is really sanding the Trracer rail and cutting the feed neck off a standard body. Everything else is pretty much off the shelf. There are some guys around (if not here, certainly on MCB) who would probably be happy to do custom work for you.
    Ok I can probably build one then thanks!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Posts
    465
    I received both the rails that I ordered for $4 today. They were new and I am ready to start my projects now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •