Thread: Finally had to replace that tiny little ULT o-ring

Finally had to replace that tiny little ULT o-ring

I bought an x-valve off of ebay around 2008 that was pretty abused, but I like it because it is all worn-in, runs loose, and likes to RT just a hair. It occasionally had had that goofy, tiny leak after the on/off top that you think is the power tube. It would stop with oil. It finally wouldn't seal up anymore, and after checking the lvl10, I was left with that little beast.

I had received a spare ULT o-ring in a box of parts VF-XX had traded me a few years ago. I was very happy to be able to locate that tiny thing in my garage, in a desk top full of boxes of parts. I pulled the other parts off the ULT and the bottom o-ring, clamped the pin in a brass hand vice, mounted the hand vice in the bench vise, and was preparing to pull out my MAPP torch to heat the bottom of the pin. I grabbed the pin bottom with my fingers to make sure it was held firm, and it turned (!?). After a little wiggling around, the bottom spun freely and pulled right off! I cleaned the old glue off, put on the new-ish o-ring and a little blue loctite, then stuck it together to set up. It's working great. The old o-ring didn't look bad, but it fit loose and had become hardened.

I love it when the parts all jump together!

It will really burn your ass when I tell you that the oring can be changed without taking the pin apart!
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    It will really burn your ass when I tell you that the oring can be changed without taking the pin apart!
    Next time I'll have to order one from you anyway. That's a big stretch for that little thing, it's just as well I didn't torture the one I had (of unknown age) and fixed my loose pin too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    Tunaman, any tips on switching it out with out bending the pin?

Half of the time the pin will come apart without any heat.

/derp

Got it! The old one split in half while i was trying to work it off and then I was able to push the pin down onto the new one.
    I did not need to separate the pin.

Guns up and running with out any leaks!
    Last edited by Mole1119; 01-23-2016 at 10:54 AM.