Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas to improve AO

Ideas to improve AO

This is probably not my spot to ask. I am going to willingly acknowledge that and ask anyways.

I believe it would be in error to think that all of AOs issues are technical in nature and the "return the promised land" will happen as soon as the sight is updated with no further dicussion of other changes.

So I feel it appropriate to ask what changes others feel would help AO going forward.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

I would like a archive of "how to" like for the pnuemag and such.

have a spot (like in the store) where all the manuals and diagrams are accessible

CHAT

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag

have a spot (like in the store) where all the manuals and diagrams are accessible

CHAT
    They have that already

sigs,

Quote Originally Posted by Ando
    They have that already

we have chat? i thought it was down...

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags
    sigs,

maybe we can get shartley to get us all sigs again

Easy registration for new members

Quote Originally Posted by skipdogg
    Easy registration for new members
    Yep!

It would be great if "the new AO" is accessible via Tapatalk and/or Forumrunner for all of our fancy tablets and smartphones. This would be a huge step.

And I'm sure we could need a few more MODs to support the Beemer.

Wouldn't this have been smarter to ask BEFORE everyone started throwing money at the project?

we can dream

i say we close our eyes and see what happens,
    since that is what everyone did who donated.

donating without knowing the end result.

ready 1... 2... 3... close em.

I’ll be happy just being able to:
    Open AO without having to sit and wait for it to respond if I have a new PM.
    Send a PM without sitting and waiting for AO to respond.

I would like to see the official picture thread cleaned up of all the dead links and away to jump to different page numbers than having click back 4 pages at a time. I like to use that thread to get ideas and get inspired and it takes a bit a time to find the beginning of the functional pictures.

Also search function that doesn’t pop up behind ad banners.

strippers

id be happy with the new members being able to get in easier.and a place with all the DIY's...we could call it Hill's place.

LMAO.......

I have a small pet peev with the read receipt with PMs, either turn it on and dont give the receiver a choice or turn it off

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky
    strippers
    we could have a gallery of half naked women holding mags... we'll call it "hill's place"

JK

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky
    Hill's place.
    might as well call it "i can do what you can do"

lol

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    Wouldn't this have been smarter to ask BEFORE everyone started throwing money at the project?
    Maybe.

However any support I gave was not conditional and I did not want to make it seem so. Nor did I want people to feel like their support was "buying" features not already implemented.

The sight could stand some improvements that are not just technical (I think). However I wanted to seperate that discussion from the technical and fiscal one.

I just wanted it to still exist. That will now happen. I have no expectations nor list of demands. Sometimes simple things can be just that....simple. No need to overthink or overcomplicate things for no reason

I am going to sticky this so we can get a list of "wants" I will try and make as many of them happen as possible. I think things like sigs are a no brainer. I don't know what taptalk is so if you request something popular please explain it.

Thanks

TK

Quote Originally Posted by Lohman446
    Maybe.

However any support I gave was not conditional and I did not want to make it seem so. Nor did I want people to feel like their support was "buying" features not already implemented.

The sight could stand some improvements that are not just technical (I think). However I wanted to seperate that discussion from the technical and fiscal one.
    Well, conditions aside, there are a ton of 'features' incorporated into the newer versions of VBulletin which require minimal effort and no additional cost.

Things like Sigs and Avatars are already in there. I would like to have known ahead of time if when all is said and done we will be able to have them or not. I think anyone who donated money and finds out that sigs and avatars are disabled will be upset. (and rightfully so)

I would also like to see some custom badges. In particular, an "AO SUPPORTER" badge for all of the people who helped to raise the $3k to do this.

There is also an "Ad management" module built in. Why not sell ad space for a small price? Guys like Tuna and Luke can for a minimum price get a banner ad, their own separate sub forum, and possibly a few other perks.

The list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    I would also like to see some custom badges. In particular, an "AO SUPPORTER" badge for all of the people who helped to raise the $3k to do this.
    Agreed, and I think there should be a donation button as well.

make 2 badges, for those of us who were part of this and a seperate on for donations after the fact.

oooo, a "project logs" forum

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    I am going to sticky this so we can get a list of "wants" I will try and make as many of them happen as possible. I think things like sigs are a no brainer. I don't know what taptalk is so if you request something popular please explain it.

Thanks

TK

No problem.

Tapatalk and Forumrunner are apps for smartphones and tablets that are running on iOS or android software. They make it easy to use a forum from mobile devices. No browser is needed.

http://www.tapatalk.com/

http://www.forumrunner.net/

tom can you put the remote operated webcam back in your office?

How about picture hosting?

What about an official Cafe Press store with AO & AGD logo'd merchandise, the profits of which would go to help maintain the site? This constantly available "fundraiser" would help alleviate the costs of servers/bandwidth/software updates in the future...

I would like to see something done to rescue the friendly corner.

Personally I would like to see a politics and religion subforum (but only after the election) or easing of the rules in the friendly forum on discussion of such topics.

Do I realize these topics normally cause some issues? Sure I do. However the friendly corner is pretty well dead at this point anyways.

I would at least like to have a discussion about it.

Hey...call me old fashion but this place is perfect the way it is, fix the stability and call it a wrap!

Quote Originally Posted by AGDRetro
    What about an official Cafe Press store with AO & AGD logo'd merchandise, the profits of which would go to help maintain the site? This constantly available "fundraiser" would help alleviate the costs of servers/bandwidth/software updates in the future...

Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by skipdogg
    Yes please.
    Glad to see somebody else thinks this is a decent idea. Once the storefront is setup it requires about ZERO maintenance from say Mr. Kaye or somebody else in the top tiers of the AGD/AO hierarchy. Cafe Press handles the fabrication & shipping, nothing has to be stocked and you don't have to pay anybody to manage the store!