Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas to improve AO

let me get this right now you guys are limiting the amount of sigs we per page even after we paid the 3000 dollars to update the server

I call Bull

also from what I remember reading in that post about updateing AO part of that 3000 dollars was supposed to go to updateing the a AGD website, which just crashed last week and we were told was on the same serve as automags.org

so would someone in the know care to enlighten the Community on why the AGD site server was not updated

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Because I have to pay guys to go pull the data off the server, setup the new one, buy the software etc. I will be transferring it to my current provider away from Delaware,net so that is two bills.

Then I still have to take care of Zupe because the store runs on that server on more old software. All the parts and products need to be transferred and setup on the new store with new software. Thats a job in itself. The agd website has to go over too. I am not going to do that, someone has to pay for it. Dave doesn't have the dough either.

So its more than just transferring a list of members and some posts.

TK
    We.were told this by.TK. But then we find out Dave was running his own server at his house

So where did.that money for.Zupe go
    Find the board and you can ban me for life

snip

Quote Originally Posted by Redic View Post
    even after we paid

I call Bull
    Who's this we? You got a mouse in your pocket? DID YOU CONTRIBUTE??? Didnt think so.

If its that important to the folks THAT did I am sure it can be changed. Maybe WE should ask those folks.

We all know what the BEO sig looks like, do we really need to see it in EVERY post on a page.

Guess what I contributed and I could care less. I like it. It keeps AO classy.

Kinda sounds like you like to hear your self whine.

OH LOOKEY my sig showed up AGAIN..................

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    snip

Who's this we? You got a mouse in your pocket? DID YOU CONTRIBUTE??? Didnt think so.

If its that important to the folks THAT did I am sure it can be changed. Maybe WE should ask those folks.

We all know what the BEO sig looks like, do we really need to see it in EVERY post on a page.

Guess what I contributed and I could care less. I like it. It keeps AO classy.

Kinda sounds like you like to hear your self whine.

OH LOOKEY my sig showed up AGAIN..................
    Well good to see you can still put your foot.into your mouth but now in a " CLASSY WAY "

I did donate money

as did i, and i wasn't expecting anything less than the other msg boards when it came to sigs... im fine with size restrictions within reason, but limiting how many times it shows? i wasn't expecting that

5. Quote Originally Posted by SoulCoffin View Post
    as did i, and i wasn't expecting anything less than the other msg boards when it came to sigs... im fine with size restrictions within reason, but limiting how many times it shows? i wasn't expecting that
    fixed

-The AO Moderation Team
    "Everything in Moderation"

What makes you think this forum is running off a server in Zupe's basement?

I am hoping the guys come up with the updated look soon.

TK

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    What makes you think this forum is running off a server in Zupe's basement?

I am hoping the guys come up with the updated look soon.

TK
    No said AO was running off a server in Zupe's basement

We were told by you that the AGD site was on the same server as AO and that was one of the reason the price tag was so high.

Then The AGD site crashes and we discover Zupe had his own server.

Which leaves me.very confused with the statement of yours that I quoted in a previous post

We were told by you that the AGD site was on the same server as AO and that was one of the reason the price tag was so high.

Which leaves me.very confused with the statement of yours that I quoted in a previous post
    I know what you are saying. However, I can think of a completely reasonable scenario.

I am not getting what your saying here. Because AO crashed how did that relate to Zupe's basement? Where did the basement come it?

TK

Here's what you stated:

Because I have to pay guys to go pull the data off the server, setup the new one, buy the software etc. I will be transferring it to my current provider away from Delaware,net so that is two bills.

Then I still have to take care of Zupe because the store runs on that server on more old software. All the parts and products need to be transferred and setup on the new store with new software. Thats a job in itself. The agd website has to go over too. I am not going to do that, someone has to pay for it. Dave doesn't have the dough either.

So its more than just transferring a list of members and some posts.

TK
    Meaning, we thought that the AGD store was on the same server that housed AO and that the high price of the migration was to include the migration of the AGD site/store to new hardware.

Now we're hearing that AGD is on it's own hardware, not included with the Delaware.net server migration.

So that being said - if AGD wasn't a part of the migration, why did it cost $3k? The $3k estimate was for AO migration as well as AGD site/store.

Okayyyyy now I understand what your saying. That explanation still didn't say where Zupe's basement came in but I will explain.

When I made the above statement, I was thinking that the store, the forum and the AGD site were all on the same server and needed to be moved.
    AFTER we got the money and I started looking into it, it turns out that the store was always running on Delaware servers, not on our box. I talked to Zupe about it and it made more sense since there was no danger of it evaporating to leave it as is. Its a great deal of effort to set up new accounts and credit card stuff on a new site etc.

This left AGD and the forum to move and update to the new server which was done.

Updating AO is first on the list and I am waiting patiently for the guys to finalize the new look. This is what I was worried about because when you ask people to do things for free it can take forever. Once AO is put to bed I will then proceed to AGD's site for finish up.

Yes there is a chunk of money left over at this point but we are not done. As I told you all when we started, if there was money left over it would go to the Paintball Scholarship Fund, which you all thought was great. If you want me to spend more money and pay people for the new look instead of waiting for the free help please say so.

If you have any more questions please post them here.

TK

This is where the "Server in Zupe's basement came from....

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    The AGD server at Daves house has crashed. Catastrophic hard drive failure. They are backing up now. Let me know if anyone needs any parts. If I have it...you got it.

Ok that explains it. There IS a server at Dave's house, its just that it has nothing to do AT ALL with the websites etc. Its the server for the internal network.

TK

.....Anyways.... I'm not sure if i'm the only one leading the charge, but I still got a little bit more work to do. I would love to at least transfer the old AO theme back so it can give me some time to design some more ideas. For whatever reason, I really hate all of my new designs for the header. I don't really want to change it at all so it's hard for me to come up with an idea. If anyone else wants to take a stab, feel free to sign up in the dev forum Dayspring set up.

For what it's worth I like the current look sans the logo. Nice and clean, lets the content speak for itself.

Here is an example of what i'm trying to go for....

I still need to do quite a bit to finish it up....

• Header: Create 5 examples for the header designer
    • Favicons: Rework Favicons to match header
    • Badges: Finish up the different types of badges, Admin, Owner, etc
    • Check CSS, make sure all of the CSS looks good to transfer to the new AO.
    • Rework the black theme. Just because I like it

My wishlist:
    Enable CMS Tool for Automags.org. We need to build up a library of resources with the posts already made on AO.

The background behind Steve is pretty cool.

agreed, awesome work

Idea #1:

Idea #2:
    Added a gradient, two tone, and changed the font to the same font as the badges i'm creating...

Ranks for AO:

Check out the template on the Dev forum....
    Last edited by Bunny; 02-25-2013 at 04:58 PM.

i like picture 1 with the font on picture 2

I really like both of those banners.

We need Tunamart Factory Team badges

Not a fan of sigs or badges

Each has a purpose.

Here is my latest ideas about the ranking system. I don't think the "banned", "donor", or "member" ranks should carry over, but I made them anyway so.... :-p

Ranks

Admin
    Banned
    Content Manager
    Tunamart
    Factory Team
    Owner
    Donor
    SuperMod

DEV Forum: Click to view new AO template

I think Donor should most CERTAINLY get a badge. They're the reason we're going through this exercise and they should be recognized as such.

Any idea when we will be able to go live on the new look?

Thanks

TK

Well, Bunny's fixing the header images now. I think the template setup itself is done, but I won't speak for Bunny - you know those creative types...

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    Well, Bunny's fixing the header images now. I think the template setup itself is done, but I won't speak for Bunny - you know those creative types...
    Lol. I think we are good to go! You will have to edit a few of the templates once we move all of the images over to the AO server. I can either help or walk someone else through it.

Bunny,

Email me and we will work it out.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Tom