Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas to improve AO

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    I imagine it gets archived like the way PBN handled their 'old' feedback.
    Maybe people with X amount of feedback get badges that say that, so they're identifiable off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by luke
    OK, I have 7 years worth of feedback, what happens to that?

Luke, honestly I don't think you even need a feedback thread.

For others like myself, though, I agree with BE that the feedback can simply be archived. We can start iTrader and also still keep the threads for posterity.

I like the idea of a "Trusted Dealer" tag or something similar for those who are worthy.

I like the idea of a "Trusted Dealer" tag or something similar for those who are worthy.
    +1

The idea is great in principle, but could seriously cause problems. First off a disclaimer, I am not saying anything bad about anyone directly or indirectly. There has been "trusted" dealers before who flaked out and went bad. All buyers should be encouraged to research the company/seller they are buying from. There is a possibility that if AO grants a "Trusted" badge that AO will be held responsible if that "trusted" dealer/person flakes out. Nothing should replace good old fashioned research, if you do not research the seller, then it is on you to a degree if they dont do as they should. In my opinion the feedback thread system is fine, and you can easily save the link and include it in your communications with the buyer or seller. Simple is many times the best.
    I have nothing good to put here...........

Quote Originally Posted by Shane-O-Mac
    The idea is great in principle, but could seriously cause problems. First off a disclaimer, I am not saying anything bad about anyone directly or indirectly. There has been "trusted" dealers before who flaked out and went bad. All buyers should be encouraged to research the company/seller they are buying from. There is a possibility that if AO grants a "Trusted" badge that AO will be held responsible if that "trusted" dealer/person flakes out. Nothing should replace good old fashioned research, if you do not research the seller, then it is on you to a degree if they dont do as they should. In my opinion the feedback thread system is fine, and you can easily save the link and include it in your communications with the buyer or seller. Simple is many times the best.
    The feedback thread system is fine with the exception that there's no universal tag to denote good or bad feedback. Finding a particular feedback thread is only half the battle - to really know the feedback, a person has to read every single post in that thread once it's found.

The iTrader system uses a proven method very similar to eBay feedback, wherein people leaving feedback tag it as POSITIVE, NEUTRAL or NEGATIVE and the number of tags is very quickly known by glancing at the feedback rating. It's just a much improved method.

I do agree that the "Trusted Dealer" tag, specifically, is a bad idea. Trusted by who? But the concept of that kind of badge is a good one, it just needs refined. If there are going to be tags, they should simply be for total feedback rating. "+10 Feedback" or "+100 Feedback" is a factual, objective statement, whereas the word "trusted" is very subjective.

I feel like we can't be afraid to change and upgrade. I think we should have the appearance options that pbn has. I also think the iTrader system would be better than the feedback threads. The information would be available 1 click away from the post instead of having to search then make sure the name is spelled correctly. It's a much needed upgrade. Also there should be system to add to picture to the banner on a regular basis. All MotM should be added and some others should be able to be nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage reigns
    I think we should have the appearance options that pbn has.
    no

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag
    no
    So options are a bad thing? When did that happen? Being able to change the color can go a long way towards engaging the younger crowd and it doesn't hurt anyone who wants to change it. I don't get why that would be a problem.

i just dont think we should "be like another site" when we already have our own look

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag
    i just dont think we should "be like another site" when we already have our own look
    So why does it hurt if to you it looks like the site we have now and to me it looks like MCB? Can't be resistant to change when it does hurt/make things better.

It's about staying true to a "brand" identity.

AO has had this layout and color scheme for years. It's synonymous with AO (especially the hexagons, etc.). MCB has their scheme, so too does PBN. But each of those is their own brand.

What you're saying is that you want (as an example) Apple's brand design to look like Intel's.

I get where you're coming from - more is better and if the option is available then I want it. But from an identity and consistency standpoint, it ain't broke. So don't fix it.

I am all for adjustments. Wholesale changes that make AO into PBN or MCB - NO.

In business you learn that you cannot be better at being brand X than brand X already is. We cannot out PBN PBN or out MCB MCB. While we might look to make adjustments and improvements and even consider what they have done (as well as others such as BEO and Tech PB) it should not be our intent to be "just like them".
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

exactly, you cant just go hey a geo is better then an ion so lets just make an ion like a geo. you loose what just made the ion an ion and now you have a knock off that will be ridiculed. the ion is fine how it is and for what it needs to be.

/analogy over

The point of that comment wasn't we should brand ourselves like them, the point of that comment was that we should have more customization options. If we come up with 3-4 color swap palettes. I just want more than 1 option.

Same thing can be said about an official feedback rating, which iTrader would be. Another idea would be to have the user's feedback numbers be listed automatically somewhere near their screen name, if that sort of thing is important to enough people.

I just like the idea of getting some flair going.

I think we have the required number of "Flair".

I think we have the required number of "Flair".

I really dont want to talk about my flair.. can we just order lunch ok?

Yummy, I love flair.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage reigns
    The information would be available 1 click away from the post instead of having to search.
    you dont need to o into search you can always try the members list.

Sigs. Oh, and SIGS. An artist and old school member like me, this cannot be understated. Anyway, other than that, I like the idea of the Tapatalk and Forumrunner app concept as well as branded merchandise. But, do not use Cafe Press...their product quality is crap. If you're going to do this, and I can help make it happen, use Zazzle. Their shirts are good as long as the design doesn't get too complicated...they print all the colors at once using a digital press and so some colors turn out crappy compared to normal screen printing. Of course, all of that is still better than Cafe Press's quality.

Oh, and if possible, I think we should have a better and more involved / used section dedicated to AO Meet & Greets. That was one of the cool things I experienced way back in the beginning...actually going to an event where other AO members were and meeting people that talk online. We here in MO met up at Battle Creek in Kingdom City and ShooterJM came all the way over from CO to meet up. That was cool, and he was a great guy. So, I think trying to bring in more brotherhood for being a member of something "elite" would be great. That's one of the things I always liked about shooting a Mag and being on AO. Outside people would say "How come you don't shoot an Angel?" (at the time) or something like that and "What's AO?" because they didn't understand the feeling of community.

I have always felt the people that shoot Mags do so because they are tinkerers by nature, since the marker can have so many things done to it unlike your carbon copy semi-plastic marker out there for $100. As such, they do not care what other markers or features come out on cheap, knock off guns made in Indonesia with customer service in India. AO members then, and I would hope still, don't worry about what's "cool" now...they know what they like and they use it.
    Last edited by dre1919; 10-17-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Every donor should get a "Tom Kaye Starter Kit" as seen below...

Last edited by Dayspring; 01-03-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring
    Every donor should get a "Tom Kay Starter Kit" as seen below...

http://www.nickpapandria.com/images/stache.jpg
    that would be awsome, we all show up to Tunaball wearin them.

but serious lets do it., where do i get my moustache,

im to lazy to grow mine out.
    Last edited by AO Moderation Team; 12-11-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Yay

ForumRunner..............

Anybody using it????
    Last edited by Beemer; 01-20-2013 at 04:08 PM.

I am now.

AO: I need to action pictures to tinker with. If you have any cool action shots with mags feel free to post. Thanks

I'm still having issues with my sig. I cant even put one line of text below the picture

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    I'm still having issues with my sig. I cant even put one line of text below the picture
    Really? Any one else with issues?

There is only one sig per page now so see my post 114 above. I did an edit to my sig with two lines of text plus my image.
    Last edited by Beemer; 02-07-2013 at 01:06 AM.

I just want a thing that tells me when my pm box is full miss the % thing right now. driving me nuts.
    i do like the PBN feedback system. makes it easy to see negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post

There is only one sig per page now
    ????

Attached Images Attached Images