Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas to improve AO

It may be something that a VBulletin plugin could accomplish. It's not something that is built in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring
    It may be something that a VBulletin plugin could accomplish. It's not something that is built in.

iTrader is a plug in that is basically what he is talking about. It is very similar to the way the feedback system on PBN works. BEO has been using it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    iTrader is a plug in that is basically what he is talking about. It is very similar to the way the feedback system on PBN works. BEO has been using it for a while.
    iTrader is used on X7OG and A5OG as well, and works really really well. It's basically an eBay-style feedback system.

I like it better than simply a feedback thread, because you can tell right from the start how much feedback a person has, and if there have been any negatives. With a standard feedback thread, you'd have to read every single post to determine that a person has no negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    iTrader is used on X7OG and A5OG as well, and works really really well. It's basically an eBay-style feedback system.

I like it better than simply a feedback thread, because you can tell right from the start how much feedback a person has, and if there have been any negatives. With a standard feedback thread, you'd have to read every single post to determine that a person has no negatives.
    This would be an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag
    FYI - VbAdvanced is what MCB used as their homepage. I like it, I think it's a great idea for an active forum. The bad part is that if the forum is not very active then this doesn't seem like all that great an idea.

Also - has anyone mentioned getting some new hipper mods on board who can handle the back end stuff better? No offense to the Captain, but every forum needs someone who can do that stuff.

I nominate Dayspring, just cus I love him and I know his life is not complicated enough

As far as avatars are concerned, if we want to keep it simple and classy, why not use the regional AO state badges/logos?

i like the way Big Evil conducts his site in reference to sigs and avatars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohman446
    That would be handy. I have never seen it but its a good idea

PBN has it like that.
    Top right of every post you make.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDRetro
    As far as avatars are concerned, if we want to keep it simple and classy, why not use the regional AO state badges/logos?
    I like it

Quote Originally Posted by going_home
    PBN has it like that.
    Top right of every post you make.
    Well... apparently I never actually clicked on those numbers now huh

If I could have my way I would prefer it be a pull down menu on the name like the one used for sending PMs and other things.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

Things off the top of my head....

Avatars: 96x96 is a good size. Give end-users the option to disable avatars if they do not like them.

Feedback Ratings: Something simple. I do like the way PBN does their rating system.

Groups: Moderators, Techs, Contributors, etc. Something to distingish certain users on the board. On other sites I would actively look for members that were specialized and were notated by a different color or badge.

Mod's: Make it a bit more cut and dry. Who is the AO Moderation Team? Add a few more senior members to tidy up the place.

Signatures: No pictures, just text. If it is a hassle only enable them when you click the persons profile. Like this... https://www.automags.org/forums/member.php?u=6593

AO Member Banner: The picture at the top right. Rework the code for it so it is less labor intensive. The background with the hexagon pattern could be a background and we could put a PNG on top. All we would need is a picture with the background removed to post.

i completly forgot about the member banner. yes, someone throw some more ideas about that

I would like AO to be AO but MCBs "point based" infraction system seems a reasonable way to allow moderators to give "meaningful warnings". That is users may receive infraction points but no action is taken unless X amount of points accumulate. Infractions expire.

I'm not familiar with the exact way the system works but it seems to work.

I would like AO to be AO but MCBs "point based" infraction system seems a reasonable way to allow moderators to give "meaningful warnings". That is users may receive infraction points but no action is taken unless X amount of points accumulate. Infractions expire.

I'm not familiar with the exact way the system works but it seems to work.

Thats built right in to VB.

Thats built right in to VB.
    Oh when I throw up suggestions they are like a member of Congress doing it. I have no idea of the technicalities behind it or even if its possible I just think it sounds good.

Oh when I throw up suggestions they are like a member of Congress doing it. I have no idea of the technicalities behind it or even if its possible I just think it sounds good.
    Useful posts: 7

It would also be nice to have the like button. I know that may be better served on a more opinionated site but I think it has a place here.

I nominate Dayspring, just cus I love him and I know his life is not complicated enough
    Thanks Scott...

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage reigns
    It would also be nice to have the like button. I know that may be better served on a more opinionated site but I think it has a place here.
    I thought “like” buttons were for advertisers, clicking on them builds your personal advertising database so they know what adds to put up for you.

Also, I dont see anything wrong with our current feedback system. If its not broke dont fix it.

we do have a like button... look at the bottom of the page. "rate this thread"

Quote Originally Posted by luke
    I thought “like” buttons were for advertisers, clicking on them builds your personal advertising database so they know what adds to put up for you.

Also, I dont see anything wrong with our current feedback system. If its not broke dont fix it.
    It could be better. Having feedback right there on every post is much better. Innovation will never happen with that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage reigns
    It could be better. Having feedback right there on every post is much better. Innovation will never happen with that attitude.
    I timed it, it took exactly me exactly 22 seconds to find your feedback thread (from this post)
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...Carnage+reigns

I timed it, it took exactly me exactly 22 seconds to find your feedback thread (from this post)
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...Carnage+reigns
    but some times it takes people 30 seconds
    and remember thats too long

is it possible to have a gallery that we can load pictures of our mags in that we can tag upgrade with.

for instance if I wanted to see some mags with warp feed then i'd search the gallery for warp feed and there they would be

Before we get burried in a committee of replies, what proposed upgrades do we have so far?

At one point in time the standard form of locomotion was to either walk or travel by horse. There was nothing wrong with that. But that didn't stop human innovation from developing the rail system, the automobile, or even flight.

IMO, iTrader isn't a "fix" to an "unbroken" feedback system. It's simply a long-overdue improvement. The technology already exists, we don't have to invent or repair anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    At one point in time the standard form of locomotion was to either walk or travel by horse. There was nothing wrong with that. But that didn't stop human innovation from developing the rail system, the automobile, or even flight.

IMO, iTrader isn't a "fix" to an "unbroken" feedback system. It's simply a long-overdue improvement. The technology already exists, we don't have to invent or repair anything.
    Where's that "Like" button?

OK, I have 7 years worth of feedback, what happens to that?

OK, I have 7 years worth of feedback, what happens to that?

I imagine it gets archived like the way PBN handled their 'old' feedback.