50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alumnium classic RT body for X valve

25 50.00%
  • Alumnium classic RT body for stock classic RT valve

25 50.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic RT Aluminum ULE body/ ULE Rail Milling

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    I think these should be twist lock. The stock classic RT barrels are awesome. There are also a bunch of those weird annoed cRTs out there... those owners probably wouldnt want a different body unless they could keep the matching barrels.
    I thought of that too. Only problem is the weird annoed barrels are almost always not going to be centerfeed. Maybe they can be machined to work? I have not got that far in my r&d. I was just going to thread the red smear one i have. Im going with an x valve on my red smear rt. The banjo bore in the rail is damaged and it leaks. I suppose i could sleeve the bore or bore it oversize and make a new banjo bolt to fit but i would rather drop the weight.

I don't really care for weight reduction and I dont want to upgrade my CRT to a RTPro.

All I want is an all aluminum centerfeed RTC style (front and back) body that fits on my RTC rail and RTC valve.
    And it should have Cocker threads... Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by RST
    I don't really care for weight reduction and I dont want to upgrade my CRT to a RTPro.

All I want is an all aluminum centerfeed RTC style (front and back) body that fits on my RTC rail and RTC valve.
    And it should have Cocker threads... Nothing else.
    Either cocker or twist lock. As others have noted though there are not a lot of twist lock center feed barrels out there.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

This is suppose to be an upgrade to the original body but at the same time keeping the identity. Only problem i see is people finding centerfeed TL barrels. Any barrel can be easily modded with a few spins of a drill but finding them original is going to be a real problem and for those wanting Cocker threads....find yourself an TL adapter or freak back, both options work awesome and you'll NEVER see the difference.

I still think making the back end of the body twist-off to convert from either or style (X or Classic) would be the next best upgrade for this next to it being made of AL and/or centerfeed. The time saved trying to mill cocker threads in the front and moving that time to the back should nullify any added cost and frankly be a lot easier and less time consuming (that is if there's enough meat for it).

You can always set it up like the carbon fiber body mod and make the back end of the body like a sleeve that just slides over the back breach area or thread the back end of the breach and thread in the different body backs. You'll end up with 2 different backs but again the time savings should balance out since theres no milling time for Cocker threads just material.

Something like that I would buy in a heart beat and solve the X or classic debate.
    Last edited by Ando; 10-09-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando
    This is suppose to be an upgrade to the original body but at the same time keeping the identity. Only problem i see is people finding CF TL barrels. Any barrel can be easily modded with a few spins of a drill but finding them original is going to be a real problem and for those wanting Cocker threads....find yourself an TL adapter or freak back, both options work awesome and you'll NEVER see the difference.

I still think making the back end of the body twist-off to convert from either or style (X or Classic) would be the best upgrade for this next to it being made of AL and ceterfeed. The cost saved trying to mill cocker threads in the front and moving that time to the back should nullify any added cost and frankly be a lot easier and less time consuming (that is if there's enough meat for it).

You can always set it up like the carbon fiber body mod and make the back end like a sleeve that just slides over the back breach area or thread the back end of the breach and thread in the different body backs. You'll end up with 2 different backs but again the time savings should balance out since theres no milling time for Cocker threads.

Something like that I would buy in a heart beat and solve the X or classic debate.
    I could do cf mods. Probably should offer it as a service anyhow.

I NEED a cf bodied classic, this forum is making me broke. I'm trying to sell stuff I don't use anymore and now this thread

Looks like there is enough interest to make both versions of the body.
    I will get both prototypes done and ULE mill the rail. Pictures will be posted in the paintball talk section of the site and a pre-order will follow shortly after. I am excited to see how light my gun is after i ULE mill the rail.

Awesome!

Will you be offering a reconditioning service for worn-out/leaky rails?

I could do cf mods. Probably should offer it as a service anyhow.
    you should offer a cf mod for the front of the first run of minimag bodies. that would be freaking awsome.

prolly cant be done for many reason but it would be awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags
    you should offer a cf mod for the front of the first run of minimag bodies. that would be freaking awsome.

prolly cant be done for many reason but it would be awsome.
    In this context, CF = Center Feed, not Carbon Fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by bbotts77

Actually Ando brought up the carbon fiber mod in his post, so it may have started out as CF = center feed, but it morphed into CF = carbon fiber.

Ya if you read my postt again I differentiated the 2 a little better and BE was talking about the barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Xmagterror
    I will get both prototypes done and ULE mill the rail. Pictures will be posted in the paintball talk section of the site and a pre-order will follow shortly after. I am excited to see how light my gun is after i ULE mill the rail.
    What exactly are you planning on making?
    Last edited by Ando; 10-09-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Ya if you read my postt again I differentiated the 2 a little better and BE was talking about the barrels
    Ah right. Makes me wonder if BE was talking about center feed modding barrels or carbon fiber modding bodies.

This is suppose to be an upgrade to the original body but at the same time keeping the identity.
    Is it? Because I thought this all came about when the aluminum Minimag bodies were made, and people (myself included) mentioned that if the same thing could be done except with a front that looks like the classic RT body we'd be more interested. Nothing about upgrading a classic RT, just getting that body working with an AM/MM or X-valve.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    ... I also think that people may buy a Classic RT styled body to replace their RTPro SS bodies to have a faux CRT.
    This ^^ is exactly why it was suggested in the Minimag thread awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    Is it? Because I thought this all came about when the aluminum Minimag bodies were made, and people (myself included) mentioned that if the same thing could be done except with a front that looks like the classic RT body we'd be more interested. Nothing about upgrading a classic RT, just getting that body working with an AM/MM or X-valve.

This ^^ is exactly why it was suggested in the Minimag thread awhile back.
    That's what I think some people are confused about. XMT is talking about making either a CRT body that accepts an X valve, but will only fit on CRT lowers or a CRT replacement body that will utilize a CRT valve and lowers. This isn't a body that is simply styled after the CRT to fit non-CRT lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by bbotts77
    oh woops. i guess i missunderstood?

My plan is to make centerfeed, cocker threaded bodies to fit the classic rt.....there will be two versions.......x valve and stock rt valve. And later on make a body just like the ule minimag one i did but wth the rt style front...to fit all other automags.

Not really interested in carbon fiber...just adds expense and time to make them.

Not really interested in carbon fiber...just adds expense and time to make them.
    Not talking about carbon fiber backs. Just make the backs like the CF mod but in a classic RT and in a regular ULE style in aluminum.

That would kill 2 birds with one stone using one body

I'm going to suggest that classic RT owners (at least speaking for myself) are not so concerned about weight savings. I would like to be able to use centerfeed bodies (preferably with common threading for feednecks), autococker threads, and proper detents. I am not so concerned about weight.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lohman446
    I'm going to suggest that classic RT owners (at least speaking for myself) are not so concerned about weight savings. I would like to be able to use centerfeed bodies (preferably with common threading for feednecks), autococker threads, and proper detents. I am not so concerned about weight.
    Exactly.
    A classic RT with a ULE body (vert feed angel feedneck and detents, cocker threaded).
    Old faithful classic RT with RT Pro body upgrades .

I think these should be twist lock. The stock classic RT barrels are awesome. There are also a bunch of those weird annoed cRTs out there... those owners probably wouldnt want a different body unless they could keep the matching barrels.
    This is exactly the reason why I voted for twist lock. Otherwise, I'd have to find someone willing to cut and thread my matching barrel for AC threads. This easily shortens it by a couple of inches.

Imagine a vertfeed ule RT with a red or blue smear anno AND matching barrel!!
    As it's been mentioned TL-AC adapters are certainly an option for those who prefer to use an AC barrel.
    As for those who worry about their non-cf tl barrel, as long as it's not stainless, it's VERY easy to drill a small divot for centerfeed. Heck, you can get away with using thicker barrel orings to hold it in place instead. The barrel really won't twist on its own.

Keep this as close to "classic" as possible (minus the weight and vertfeed )

... although, it looks like XMT made his decision

I would also choose twist-lock over AC threads.

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightG
    This is exactly the reason why I voted for twist lock. Otherwise, I'd have to find someone willing to cut and thread my matching barrel for AC threads. This easily shortens it by a couple of inches.

Imagine a vertfeed ule RT with a red or blue smear anno AND matching barrel!!
    As it's been mentioned TL-AC adapters are certainly an option for those who prefer to use an AC barrel.
    As for those who worry about their non-cf tl barrel, as long as it's not stainless, it's VERY easy to drill a small divot for centerfeed. Heck, you can get away with using thicker barrel orings to hold it in place instead. The barrel really won't twist on its own.

Keep this as close to "classic" as possible (minus the weight and vertfeed )

... although, it looks like XMT made his decision

I will make whatever you guys want as long as i sell enough of them. I didnt know it was easy as drilling a small do to make the twist lock barrel work. I remember some of the aftermarket barrels would work on different feed angles....does someone have a picture of how they milled the barrel to work?

CF, cocker threaded, RT classic. Only question is how much? May need to sell some items.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTarget
    CF, cocker threaded, RT classic. Only question is how much? May need to sell some items.
    Not sure on pricing yet they will be a little more than my ULE minimag bodies.

same here man!!! i miss my tank it will b nice to have a lighter one lol!! any idea on cost??

wow i never thought the RT classic was very heavy in the first place? it really wouldnt be a classic anymore if it had a X-valve or ULE body? definitely wouldnt be old Skool anymore either? it would make more sense to just make a ULE body look like the RT classic...oh well there is gonna be alot of unused spare parts layin around soon...haha

Prototypes

I started making the new prototypes. making a vert feed body that accepts the twist lock barrel is not possible with out major mods to the slug....There just simply isnt enough meat for the feedneck threads. so im threading all the bodies with autococker threads....its possible to autococker thread a stock barrel.

I have came up with three aluminum bodies with the RT style front that i plan to produce if demand is high enough.

1. Vert Feed classic automag RT body with autococker threads (uses stock automag RT valve)
    2. Vert Feed classic automag RT body with autococker threads (uses X valve)..requires rail milling for valve index pin.
    3. Vert Feed body for use on any automag except the automag RT or sydarm (uses classic, or x valve)

I will complete the milling on these in the coming weeks as i find the time.

Last edited by Xmagterror; 10-31-2012 at 11:29 AM.

get me a ballpark on option 1!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RT Lover
    get me a ballpark on option 1!!!
    Its too early to say for sure but im shooting for less than, or around $200 for the long over the valve RT bodies.